Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM

297 posts, read 842,229 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, or Robbinsdale...

The ONLY thing I'd say about B.P. is to stay away from the area with all those apartment complexes. Around 63rd or so between Brooklyn Blvd & Cty rd 81 are a lot of apartments. I think in any city, a ton of large complexes will breed problems. You lose a lot of the pride that comes from ownership.

I would stay away from Columbia heights, personally because I do not like to venture into Anoka County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why do you think you'd be stared at? Do you have electric blue hair? :-)
I'm sorry, and I know it'll sound off to non-minorities...but, YES when you are an "only" you get looked at like, "Why are you here?". YOU personally may not do it, but there are MANY, MANY who do. It's tough to go from being in a mid-to-largely populated Black area to a city wth a very small Black presence.

You may think it's no big deal, but it's very tough to find a Black stylist that's not in the 'hood. That is major. Black people can't wash & go. I have FAR TOO MANY times been the ONLY. The only black person at work, in the restaurant, at the checkout, at the Chuck E Cheese, etc, etc, etc. Lots here say race shouldn't/doesn't matter but many of those same people would feel completely out of place if they found themselves in a venue that was 80% Black or Hispanic or Asian...

Now, Mpls is tolerant to interracial relationships. It is very commonplace here. I'm not saying Mpls is BAD. I am saying that when you are a minority it doesn't feel good to stick out like an "electric blue" thumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspryce
and I do agree with you about the diversity issue. Minnesota is not as diverse as the places that I have lived before. My family and I just got here in February, we are from Maryland. Very Diverse. However, even though we are pretty much the only black family in our neighborhood, we have only good things to say about Coon Rapids people, actually about the Minnesota/Wisconsin people in general. I have not yet run across anyone who was anything but nice to me. My kids have found great friends so far, and there are activities abound for children. The neighborhood is nice, and relatively safe. Again the only problems I have with Minnesota, is that I am finding it true that there are NOT enough services to support an African American Lifestyle...like beauty salons, and radio stations, and oh my gosh...even a good soul food restaurant...and because of these things...I kind of miss home alot.....

So let me ask you this, ladies - how would you two rate the "black experience" (particularly the black professional experience) in the Twin Cities as a whole?

I live in Chicago (on the South Side, no less) but was raised in Birmingham, AL (a city that is 73% black, and a state that is 27% black). I've been around black people basically my whole life, except for a period of about two years or so when i lived in a white neighborhood in Birmingham growing up. That was not a pleasant experience - we were openly called the n-word and told to "go home", we had trash thrown on our yard, our house and our cars were egged, black kids at my elementary school were beaten up if caught playing by themselves and were not around other black kids who could protect them................but then again, that was Alabama. What do you expect, they were a bunch of rednecks. And I'm a young guy (23 years old) so this wasn't that long ago, maybe 10-12 years ago or so.

Anyway, I'm considering a job offer out in Minneapolis. Should I take it? What is young black life like out in Minneapolis? Cultural events? I've met a couple of blacks from Minneapolis (both had families who were originally from Chicago though) and from talking to people here in town, I get the impression that black folks on the South and West sides of Chicago are running en masse to other Midwestern cities like Minneapolis and Des Moines. Is this not the case?

And is it really that hard to find a black barbershop/salon, etc?

I have an aunt in Omaha, NE and some cousins too and they seem to enjoy that city quite fine. Have any of you been there? Is it comparable to Minneapolis in terms of black population and black life? I've been to Omaha and thought it was decent enough, had more blacks than what I expected, but then again i was 15 years old at the time, haven't been back since. I'd really appreciate a response, thanks in advance!

It seems.................and correct me if I'm wrong.................that the best qualities and attributes that Minneapolis has to offer is that it's relatively safe (truthfully I can't imagine Minneapolis being able to compare to the neighborhoods I grew up in in Birmingham or anything on the South Side of Chicago where I currently live), has excellent schools, and an overall high quality of life. I'm not the least bit worried about the winter weather (two years in Chicago has made me feel like I can handle anything despite my southern upbringing). So what are the overall pros and cons of living in the Twin Cities, particulary from a professional black perspective?

_

Last edited by AQUEMINI331; 11-06-2007 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbf32771 View Post
Welcome to Minnesota!

If you want diversity and safety try Lake Harriet, Cedar Lake, and Lake Calhoun areas of Mpls. You may want to try the Lake Calhoun area. The Linden Hills area of Mpls. is nice too.

If you want to live in the burbs, any area is very open to diversity. The area with diversity and safety combined is St. Louis Park and Golden Valley. I would not recommend Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, and Robbinsdale as the crime is higher in those areas. Parts of Bloomington are ok. It depends on what area of Bloomington. Bloomington is near the airport. I hope that helps you.
I wish people would link to statistics when they talk about higher crime rates in areas and what they are comparing them to, really I'd like to know.

Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, and Robbinsdale are nice, safe suburbs. Maybe it's that they are closer in to the city (except B.P.) and have some concentrated apartment areas, but I really don't get it - there are some beautiful neighborhoods in these areas.

Just as in my neighborhood in the northwest corner of Minneapolis. Of my neighbors here I know multiple attorneys, corporate execs, a lot of teachers and Social Workers, and of course another great sign of an up and coming neighborhood - a lot of GLBT homeowners. It's also the quietest neighborhood I have ever lived in and very low crime (much less than many south mpls/ northeast neighborhoods), and I have lived in suburbs and small towns before. Plus it's diverse, ethnically/ socioeconomically, etc. - something I prefer in a neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 AM

539 posts, read 1,924,875 times
Edited By Aquemini331

Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,886 times
I would say brooklyn center would be a perfect choice. It is very diverse and not a snobbish community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul