Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,384,015 times

Advertisements

This question is directed at Golfgal and anyone else who has posted negatively about Burnsville schools. I was wondering what your explanation was for why these schools are worse than other schools in the southern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,861 times
I don't recall if I have posted negatively about Burnsville schools...but heck, I'll bite.

Honestly, though our time in ISD 191 was short, it wasn't bad. I had the opportunity to be pretty involved in the school and as far as the teachers and administrators went (at this particular school) it was obvious they were dedicated to the kids.

Having said that, based on conversations and some light research after the fact, it's also obvious that district isn't "ranked" as highly as some other southern suburban districts.

E.g: According to Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. here are some rankings...
#40 --Lakeville ISD194
#75 --Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan ISD196
#118 --Farmington ISD192
#161 --Inver Grove Heights ISD199
#192 --West St. Paul-Mendota Heights ISD197
#226 --Burnsville-Eagan-Savage ISD191

As you can see, Burnsville ranks the worst. This is only one source...

Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Burnsville used to be the premier district in the southern suburbs, that has changed. I am sure the quality of teachers is just fine but based on the behavior of the students that attend the Burnsville schools I would never send my children there. Had the incidences I personally witnessed on many, many occasions be an isolated student or small group, no big deal but when the bulk of the student body behaves in the manner in which we have witnessed, something is seriously lacking in that district. There are just much better choices within 5 miles of Burnsville. Learning and school quality isn't all about test scores--much has to do with classroom atmosphere and that is where the real problem comes in.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Could I get some specific examples?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

394 posts, read 1,519,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
I don't recall if I have posted negatively about Burnsville schools...but heck, I'll bite.

Honestly, though our time in ISD 191 was short, it wasn't bad. I had the opportunity to be pretty involved in the school and as far as the teachers and administrators went (at this particular school) it was obvious they were dedicated to the kids.

Having said that, based on conversations and some light research after the fact, it's also obvious that district isn't "ranked" as highly as some other southern suburban districts.

E.g: According to Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. here are some rankings...
#40 --Lakeville ISD194
#75 --Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan ISD196
#118 --Farmington ISD192
#161 --Inver Grove Heights ISD199
#192 --West St. Paul-Mendota Heights ISD197
#226 --Burnsville-Eagan-Savage ISD191

As you can see, Burnsville ranks the worst. This is only one source...

Man Im not sure if I really trust that source. Its basing it off of MCA test scores, which in high school, kids rarely take serious. It doenst account AP classes, % of Graduates, % of Graduates going to 4 yr universities, ACT/SAT scores, and aesthetics like age of the school, cleanliness, lunches, extra ciriculars....... Its sad to say, but nicer the school, the better the grades...

In 1999-2000 my school district opened a new Middle School after the XMAS break. So in the fall, we all went to the 75 year old Jr High and in the spring we went to the brand new Middle School. Test Scores, # of studetns on honor roll, and overall GPA rose from the fall to the spring.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Maybe its just hard for me to buy that my alma matter is ranked so low, with schools I KNOW are crappier are ahead of it.

Like Maple Grove is #50? Maple Grove is a public college prep school! Its EASILY better than 40 of the 49 ahead of it. Also EP is #77? That cant be right?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Maybe its just hard for me to buy that my alma matter is ranked so low, with schools I KNOW are crappier are ahead of it.

Like Maple Grove is #50? Maple Grove is a public college prep school! Its EASILY better than 40 of the 49 ahead of it. Also EP is #77? That cant be right?
They should rank with a points system if you ask me. 1000 is perfect and zero is the worst you can get. That way you can actually look at this in some quanitative way. Say the top school is 945, my guess is the next very many will be within 100 points of the best.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
They should rank with a points system if you ask me. 1000 is perfect and zero is the worst you can get. That way you can actually look at this in some quanitative way. Say the top school is 945, my guess is the next very many will be within 100 points of the best.

Hmm interesting. Good point.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,946,861 times
Like I said, it was one source. A source I've heard that people use. Another source, Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is also one I've heard to be relatively popular. They rate schools on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best.

Lakeville: 9
Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan: 8
Farmington: 7
Inver Grove Heights: 7
Burnsville-Eagan-Savage:7
West St. Paul-Mendota Heights: 6

I'll say it again...they're just sites I've heard to be popular. You make the choice as to whether you like what they say/approve of their ranking methods.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
Like I said, it was one source. A source I've heard that people use. Another source, Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is also one I've heard to be relatively popular. They rate schools on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best.

Lakeville: 9
Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan: 8
Farmington: 7
Inver Grove Heights: 7
Burnsville-Eagan-Savage:7
West St. Paul-Mendota Heights: 6

I'll say it again...they're just sites I've heard to be popular. You make the choice as to whether you like what they say/approve of their ranking methods.
Interesting that Burnsville and West St. Paul are at the bottom of the list and they both have by far the most diversity of any of those cities/schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul