Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 09:42 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
The Minnesota history museum in St Paul has some interactive things for kids to do. It's been a while since I've been there so I can't be specific but I'm sure they still have it. I do remember they have a something about a tornado that did a lot of damage in the 60's I think. They have a set up that looks like a basement in a typical home and gives you a demonstration of what it would feel like, but a little scary in a way. It really is a jewel of a building, especially all the granite work.

Another older but favorite special place

Como zoo (very very small zoo) and the Conservatory and Japanese garden in St. Paul all at the same location. The Conservatory's is a very special spot and very worth seeing if you enjoy that type of thing. I love going in the winter to get a taste of summer.

The Zoo, Conservatory's and Japanese garden are all free but they do ask for donations..They have a small amusement park, geared for kids, open part of the year. You can easily spend the good portion, if not most, of a day here

https://comozooconservatory.org/category/como-gardens/

*****Apparently the zoo and Conservatory now requires reservations. It looks like it started because of COVID and they have decided to keep it because of positive feedback. Still is officially free but they ask for donations. It didn't know about this until I looked at their website just now. You used to just walk in, no one checking at a gate, there was no gate, but that has apparently changed.

The Children's Museum in St. Paul was pretty great when we had a child of that age (we had an annual membership and that was a Saturday ritual in the winter). Lots of interactive exhibits, lots for kids to build and run around in. Might be something to research (it has been at least five years since we were there, but always a favorite).

Edenborough Park in Edina is worth having in your back pocket if it is a rainy day. Again, we have not been there in at least five years, but at that time it was an amazing indoor park for kids.

Highland Lake Park in Bloomington (same burb as the MOA) had a great outdoor play area (weather permitting) for kids, as well as a nice big park. Again, going by my dated, pre-pre-COVID experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 09:10 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
After you've spent the necessary 30 to 45 minutes inside the Mega-mall, take the (less than) five minute drive over to (what I believe is?) the only National Wildlife Refuge within a US metropolitan area.
I don't think that's the case- here's a list of urban national wildlife refuges in America: https://www.fws.gov/refuges/urban#:~...feel%20welcome.

You might be thinking of one of the Grand Rounds' claims to fame- in addition to it being the country's longest contiguous system of public urban parkways, I believe it is also the only National Scenic Byway located entirely within the confines of an urban area.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:57 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
So, from the looks of it… I might be able to upgrade my current stay for around the same price to maybe a modestly better location within Minneapolis downtown.

Option A) What we currently have, is the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Convention Center-not the closest walk to the stadium, to be sure but reasonably safe, if quiet stretch of downtown, I suppose. Parking by downtown parking standards here seems to not be too bad ($15 at Leamington, or $20 on site lot limited)

Option B) Hampton Inn Downtown, which appears to be adjacent to the Target Center and almost Target Field adjacent. Less than a 5 minute stadium walk. However online commentary seems to indicate that part of this stretch doesn’t always feel the safest-however, I would assume since it’s an event night, maybe we can just walk from Target Field to Hampton through Skyway, anyhow. Parking here wouldn’t be as cheap, I don’t think. Apparently it’s a varied range for 24 hour parking depending on what’s happening, up to what would probably be $24 since the Twins are home both nights. Id be willing to walk a few blocks to save.. but that feels a bit silly though. I’m also wondering if that stretch then would feel esp. weird on a Sat morning when we are trying to go out by light rail and foot, even though a station is closer, because Downtown MPLS seems to get quiet in general on weekends.

Option C) Home2Suites by Hilton Downtown. This property has gotten mixed reviews which makes me wonder.. but it seems objectively almost certainly like the best location in downtown of these 3. Seems like we could very easily make a modest 12 minute walk to stadium, and/or have very short light rail trip over to or back from stadium, and it seems like a more vibrant and bustling section of downtown which is somewhat more active even on the weekends. Only about a 10-15 minute or so walk from the riverfront here which is high on my list. Only major con here would be wondering about those lower reviews and cause, and the fact that parking here looks highest (on site looks like $45 for valet only a night), which I don’t think I’d do. I’d probably just be my own valet on sweat equity and park at Leamington for $15, and earn $60 back towards my next vaca ; )

Anyways, curious to hear any useful insider thoughts, and appreciate everyone’s suggestions, again!

Old 02-22-2023, 11:46 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Haven't stayed in any of these, but location-wise your current option would be my last choice-- there's just not much going on around the convention center area. I personally am a fan of Hampton Inns and am always impressed by the chain for my stays in other cities, and in general I wouldn't be overly-worried about issues of safety/ crime. Like you said- it will be a Twins night so there will be lots of fans out and about, and a saturday morning shouldn't be anything to worry about.

The Home2 Suites would be a better location for accessing riverfront areas, but I can also understand your hesitation on some of the reviews! Have you checked out other DT hotels closer to the riverfront (the depot, residence inn by marriott, aloft etc)? Even though further from twins stadium, they'd be a short walk to LRT which is a quick/easy trip right to the stadium. And this area in general is much more pedestrian-friendly & interesting, IMO.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:18 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
I would agree with Camden about the current location - that Holiday Inn Express is just not near anything interesting.

That Hampton Inn is next to a huge ramp that is connected to the stadium, so you can wind your way through there to the stadium, but if the weather is nice you can walk north on Hennepin and turn left at 6th. There is more interesting stuff around there, too. There will be shows at the State, the Orpheum, the Pantages and perhaps the Skyway, so there will be a lot of theatre-goers on Hennepin most nights. Restaurants and bars, too. And about eight blocks from Loring Park to the southwest down Hennepin.

While I am a fan of the LRT, I will note that it has gotten dicey since COVID. I ride the blue line (runs between Target Field in MPLS and Union Depot in St. Paul, about four blocks from where the Saints play baseball) when the weather is bad because it is incredibly reliable and during a snow storm, my drive time can more than double. But this past couple of years, the times I have taken the blue line (morning and late afternoon, typical rush and nearly always winter) it's been a bit scary. I am seeing open bottles and pipes and some unstability that keeps me on my toes. It was not this way preCOVID. I know that Metro Transit is having issues hiring police and, frankly, I have yet to see one on a train in the past two years (they used to get on, talk with people, make sure things were okay and hop off to grab check the stop and grab another train).

Old 02-25-2023, 09:40 AM

88 posts, read 52,665 times
Man, I came here to read and probably give few suggestions but once I saw the thorough planning with actual time, I was like no I'm not interested in reading all of this haha
I'm sure you have it there somewhere, but walking/biking the chain of lakes (total of 9-12 miles) is probably the best scenery of all twin cities,,, and of course the gorgeous walk on the stone arch bridge.

Enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul