Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 06:29 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Here's how the nonsense goes:

Walmart announces that it will close a dozen stores. The usual suspects go hysterical over the ones located in place where they can pin the closing (in the absence of any actual evidence thereof) on one or another of their favorite boogeymen. But the store closings on places like Arkansas and Florida and Indiana and Texas? Nothing to see there!

https://sports.yahoo.com/walmart-clo...161826876.html

Laughably predictable.
Please explain this part for us all.

Brooklyn Center police said Walmart made 6,177 calls for services in the last five years. That’s double the number of calls compared to surrounding businesses like Super 8 and Cub Foods with 3,270 and 3,038 calls, respectively. All three businesses top the city’s list for calls for services.

For further context, police say just six miles away, the Walmart in Brooklyn Park had 1,679 calls for services in the last five years.

In the past, state lawmakers shared concerns that Walmart was draining public resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 01:18 PM

83 posts, read 130,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

Brooklyn Center police said Walmart made 6,177 calls for services in the last five years. That’s double the number of calls compared to surrounding businesses like Super 8 and Cub Foods with 3,270 and 3,038 calls, respectively. All three businesses top the city’s list for calls for services.

For further context, police say just six miles away, the Walmart in Brooklyn Park had 1,679 calls for services in the last five years.

In the past, state lawmakers shared concerns that Walmart was draining public resources.
6200 is insane. That's 17/day or about 1 call every single hour that the store is open, on average.

However, Walmarts around the country are notorious for the number of police calls they generate. Even in affluent suburbs: https://patch.com/minnesota/woodbury...e-calls-report

Old 04-02-2023, 07:54 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

In the past I have worked with police data in Kansas City. Walmarts ALWAYS have much higher theft and other crimes rates than Target or other similar stores. ALWAYS (not "ALWAYS low prices" - "ALWAYS more thefts"). In the town of Raytown, there is this one Walmart that opened many years ago, and the City of Raytown gave it some sort of special tax break as an incentive for it to locate there. They now regret it, because there is so much theft there and the police spend so much time and resources responding to calls from incidents there that they're now saying it was NOT worth it. That's hardly an isolated example, either, it's pretty typical. The Brooklyn Park Walmart is not anything unusual for Walmarts.

I think thieves pick on Walmart just because it's Walmart.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:02 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
In the past I have worked with police data in Kansas City. Walmarts ALWAYS have much higher theft and other crimes rates than Target or other similar stores. ALWAYS (not "ALWAYS low prices" - "ALWAYS more thefts"). In the town of Raytown, there is this one Walmart that opened many years ago, and the City of Raytown gave it some sort of special tax break as an incentive for it to locate there. They now regret it, because there is so much theft there and the police spend so much time and resources responding to calls from incidents there that they're now saying it was NOT worth it. That's hardly an isolated example, either, it's pretty typical. The Brooklyn Park Walmart is not anything unusual for Walmarts.

I think thieves pick on Walmart just because it's Walmart.

Nothing new, locally ...

In 2016, only the entire Mall of America had more calls to Bloomington police that the Bloomington Walmart (https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/1...t-police-calls). It was bad in Woodbury, Brooklyn Center, St. Paul, Rosevile other Twin Cities stores back then. That year, Fortune Magazine had an article about how Walmart has pushed store security to local law enforcement in the Twin Cities (https://fortune.com/2016/12/18/minne...almart-guards/), prompting a bill to be introduced in the Minnesota legislature to address it.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Not exactly a glowing article showing Minneapolis recovery.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/...yTIPNsAMQHNhfI

Old 04-15-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Not exactly a glowing article showing Minneapolis recovery.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/...yTIPNsAMQHNhfI
Bob Fletcher has talked about the teens being the root source for years on his show Live On Patrol. Nothing has changed for fixing it, it’s gotten worse each year.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:42 AM

542 posts, read 448,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yeah, the imminent closure of the Brooklyn Center Walmart is just another example how awesome the Defund the Police movement has been towards promoting the recovery of Minneapolis and its suburbs.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/...-last-5-years/
That's strange. The suburbs, in general, have been doing very well. Most posters who are convinced Minneapolis will never recover avoid talking about suburbs in the Minneapolis metro for this very reason because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The truth is Minneapolis and the it's suburbs are the economic engine driving Minnesota. Before and after defund the police was spoken (something I disagree with but agree Minneapolis police have massive problems).

If the police force gets cleaned up, I think the healthier the city of Minneapolis will be. But it is one of many problems that can't be fixed by avoiding a phrase or fixing the police. I think it is deeper than that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...tory-policing/

Trying to reduce these factors to one thing avoids the complexity of the whole problem and is more a political position. This has been rehashed in other threads ad nauseum.

I lived in Minneapolis in the 90s and it looked a lot bleaker than it does now. Crime was even higher. So, back to the original question. Only a fool would bet against it.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
That's strange. The suburbs, in general, have been doing very well. Most posters who are convinced Minneapolis will never recover avoid talking about suburbs in the Minneapolis metro for this very reason because it doesn't fit the narrative.

The truth is Minneapolis and the it's suburbs are the economic engine driving Minnesota. Before and after defund the police was spoken (something I disagree with but agree Minneapolis police have massive problems).

If the police force gets cleaned up, I think the healthier the city of Minneapolis will be. But it is one of many problems that can't be fixed by avoiding a phrase or fixing the police. I think it is deeper than that.

Trying to reduce these factors to one thing avoids the complexity of the whole problem and is more a political position. This has been rehashed in other threads ad nauseum.

I lived in Minneapolis in the 90s and it looked a lot bleaker than it does now. Crime was even higher. So, back to the original question. Only a fool would bet against it.
The problem nobody is talking about and you won’t know the numbers unless you are in industry is nobody wants to be a cop anymore. There are well known cities in metro functioning on bare bones staff, laughable in reality and no way it can actually function. Rochester had some positions open recently and only 10 people applied, 10 years ago 500 plus applied for same few openings. People are speeding on freeways way more now, I always have, but now it’s just following flow. It’s the lack of patrol being the reason. I drive around all day with my business and I rarely see cops anymore.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:05 AM

217 posts, read 149,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post

Minneapolis is morphing into Detroit. Between crime, remote workers, and lack of support for the cops its over. Crime was bad in the 90's but the city SUPPORTED the cops - they don't now. Its over for the city- only a fool would believe in the "magic" of the city.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:43 AM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Minneapolis is morphing into Detroit. Between crime, remote workers, and lack of support for the cops its over. Crime was bad in the 90's but the city SUPPORTED the cops - they don't now. Its over for the city- only a fool would believe in the "magic" of the city.
The metro area as a whole as the second highest GDP of any metro area in the Midwest. More of the population growth will just shift to the suburbs and exurbs, but not leave the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul