Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Oh BTW, I was just checking on your city of residence NY. It appears you have lost over 53k people from 2018-2019. Is this correct? Should you really be discussing the theoretical decline of Minneapolis when it appears NY has actually declined. Furthermore, since NY was affected so heavily by the corona virus and people realized they were boxed in, shouldn't you be more concerned about the more than likely exodus from NY? Or is this just an excercise in projection on your part? I get it, sometimes when you got a lot of problems, it's easier to focus on someone or somewhere else.

Where did I ever imply New York didn't have its problems? We certainly have many and I don't adore this place whatsoever, it's becoming more obvious it's just a playground for the ultra wealthy and their lower class wage laborers. No room for the middle class here. What I'm saying is NY is NY and is (for now) THE financial hub of the USA, and by extension, the world. It is a huge hub of high culture, fashion and theater. It is a massive 20M metro area with significant influence and foreign investments. New York City and Southern California literally set the tone for the entire nation with our influence over media and entertainment. Post 9/11, New York has received massive federal funds and stimulus that rural American and mid-sized cities (like your beloved Minnie) can only dream of getting. What I'm saying is it eclipses every other American metro and certainly a smaller one like MSP.

New York had it bad in the 70s just like all major US cities, but notice how much better it turned out than Detroit or Cleveland or Philadelphia? Where are those cities today? That's the power of a being a large world class city. It has glamour and attention. Why didn't Chicago, despite the South Side crime, become a hopeless hellhole St Louis or Milwaukee? Again, it's a large world class city and metro area that is what I call "too big to fail."

I should add, for a while I really wanted to move to the Twin Cities and spoke highly of it to my NYer friends who had no clue. Told them how great it was. I wished you guys well in my post above yet you still come after me lol. Now, the riots coupled with this very real smugness and animosity of Minnie residents I see even here on C-D, means you guys just lost one potential productive newcomer. I'm sure many more will decide not to move there, and existing residents who actually contribute will decide to leave a smug and crime ridden city whose only real charm was its, now waning, stability and good QOL by American standards (your weather and natural scenery absolutely sucks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Except the the great quality of life you mention will (and already has) take a nosedive. As crime and lawlessness rises, decent people will leave at an accelerated rate, causing more crime and lawlessness in Minneapolis. The recent shooting stats are staggering.

Detroit, too, had a great quality of life in the 1950s. I wish the Twin Cities the best (though I will admit I liked St. Paul a lot more when I visited in 2018), but I just can't see this ending well, especially for Minneapolis (maybe St. Paul and the burbs will stay fine).
St. Paul is now run entirely by radicals. It is basically Minneapolis East and I fear I won't get out and sell my house before it's too late.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Where did I ever imply New York didn't have its problems? We certainly have many and I don't adore this place whatsoever, it's becoming more obvious it's just a playground for the ultra wealthy and their lower class wage laborers. No room for the middle class here. What I'm saying is NY is NY and is (for now) THE financial hub of the USA, and by extension, the world. It is a huge hub of high culture, fashion and theater. It is a massive 20M metro area with significant influence and foreign investments. New York City and Southern California literally set the tone for the entire nation with our influence over media and entertainment. Post 9/11, New York has received massive federal funds and stimulus that rural American and mid-sized cities (like your beloved Minnie) can only dream of getting. What I'm saying is it eclipses every other American metro and certainly a smaller one like MSP.

New York had it bad in the 70s just like all major US cities, but notice how much better it turned out than Detroit or Cleveland or Philadelphia? Where are those cities today? That's the power of a being a large world class city. It has glamour and attention. Why didn't Chicago, despite the South Side crime, become a hopeless hellhole St Louis or Milwaukee? Again, it's a large world class city and metro area that is what I call "too big to fail."

I should add, for a while I really wanted to move to the Twin Cities and spoke highly of it to my NYer friends who had no clue. Told them how great it was. I wished you guys well in my post above yet you still come after me lol. Now, the riots coupled with this very real smugness and animosity of Minnie residents I see even here on C-D, means you guys just lost one potential productive newcomer. I'm sure many more will decide not to move there, and existing residents who actually contribute will decide to leave a smug and crime ridden city whose only real charm was its, now waning, stability and good QOL by American standards (your weather and natural scenery absolutely sucks).
This explains the deplorable state and moral decay of our pop culture and mass media.

I’d rather the “Minni Apple” Mary Tyler Moore set the tone for our country than the “Big Apple” Sex In The City women.

And why do we only have Escape From New York, and Escape From LA ?

How is a city only for the rich and poor a great thing for America?

Old 06-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

How is a city only for the rich and poor a great thing for America?

It's turning into a nation only for the rich and the poor, as well. All because of so-called "progressivism".

I kind of laugh at people who think leaving MN to...wherever, they can some how hide from this. No place in America is safe from this. You are better off digging in, and fighting for the land your ancestors made with their own blood and sweat.

Thank God we have the only divided House and Senate in America at this critical time, because it sounds like Paul Gazelka is going to investigate the derelict who run Minneapolis and find out who ordered the 3rd Precinct to be abandoned. I hope they have all their careers ruined for the horrible destruction they allowed to happen in Minneapolis.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:16 AM

I'm guessing Jake Frey is to blame for the "stand down" at 3rd precinct - also Maddaria Shmaradando . I would like to see both of those clowns' careers completely destroyed. Personally I think they both belong in prison, but we all know that criminals get off scott free these days. Throw Walz in there as well as he could have put military in place before the carnage, but clearly chose not to.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:12 AM

1,052 posts, read 453,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I kind of laugh at people who think leaving MN to...wherever, they can some how hide from this. No place in America is safe from this. You are better off digging in, and fighting for the land your ancestors made with their own blood and sweat.

You can't fully hide, but you can go to someplace where it's easier to do the fighting you speak of, a state that has better laws and where people still have a sense of community and won't allow anarchy to engulf their streets. If I'm not mistaken I don't think South Dakota, New Hampshire, Idaho, Wyoming or Montana had a single violent riot incident. At most there were a few peaceful protests here and there.

But you are right in that those are literally the only 5 states, rather small states, left where sanity and peace is preserved (outside the rural areas in other states, which may be fine but in some cases weren't immune).

Old 06-26-2020, 12:39 PM

6,566 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm guessing Jake Frey is to blame for the "stand down" at 3rd precinct - also Maddaria Shmaradando . I would like to see both of those clowns' careers completely destroyed. Personally I think they both belong in prison, but we all know that criminals get off scott free these days. Throw Walz in there as well as he could have put military in place before the carnage, but clearly chose not to.
I read an article today saying two brothers live streamed themselves on Facebook breaking into the precinct. Police found them and each are looking at 10 years, this is great.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You can't fully hide, but you can go to someplace where it's easier to do the fighting you speak of, a state that has better laws and where people still have a sense of community and won't allow anarchy to engulf their streets. If I'm not mistaken I don't think South Dakota, New Hampshire, Idaho, Wyoming or Montana had a single violent riot incident. At most there were a few peaceful protests here and there.

But you are right in that those are literally the only 5 states, rather small states, left where sanity and peace is preserved (outside the rural areas in other states, which may be fine but in some cases weren't immune).
But MN is pretty evenly divided. As you probably know, Trump (some would say one of the worst R candidates in a while) nearly won it and hardly tried to.

Like you say the rural areas are vastly different than the bigger cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I read an article today saying two brothers live streamed themselves on Facebook breaking into the precinct. Police found them and each are looking at 10 years, this is great.
Yes I heard about it.

The authorities (Frey, Arradando, Walz) I think should be held criminally liable. They allowed it to happen.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:46 PM

1,353 posts, read 886,746 times
Quote:
LA (and New York and Chicago, for that matter) is in a wholly different league than Minneapolis. It is a truly global city with flights to all six continents, home to the world's film and entertainment industry and a large aerospace industry in the suburbs. Plenty of VERY affluent people live in LA. It gets the sort of foreign and domestic investment and attention Minnie can only dream of.

As highly as MPLS may think of itself, it is at best a mid-sized city without much relevance outside the midwest. It doesn't have the allure of a coastal city or the sheer economic power and influence of the Chicago metro area. It's sad to say but MPLS failing is much more likely than a major player like LA or NYC doing so, and nobody will really care. That's why I, as an outsider, think MPLS is in for a rude awakening after all that happened.
Mpls will not fail. Stop kidding yourself. Mpls may not be LA but it's not the rust belt either. The city is still the most healthy city outside of Chicago with new developments not stopping any time soon.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:24 PM

202 posts, read 429,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Mpls will not fail. Stop kidding yourself. Mpls may not be LA but it's not the rust belt either. The city is still the most healthy city outside of Chicago with new developments not stopping any time soon.

mpls will not fail. lol it already has
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul