Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is considering a move to Minneapolis or Saint Paul (from South Metro). We have children who will be approaching elementary school and we were hoping to get recommendations on what neighborhoods have the best K-5 schools? My wife and I would enjoy a neighborhood that is safe, walkable and has a variety of shops and restaurants.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
I think people might need a bit more information before they could make a recommendation -- are you looking to buy or rent, what's your budget like, is commuting a factor, etc. Especially since the south metro has good schools already, knowing more about what is prompting the move could help people give suggestions.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:53 AM

371 posts, read 556,037 times
Highland Park. If you live near Highland Village, your kids would go to Horace Mann. Further away from the village, your kids might go to Highland Park Elementary, which is good also. That one has an elementary IB program. Both are undergoing construction projects now or in the near future.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
I would second Highland Park (in St. Paul), but I have tunnel vision on the issue: my brother and sister-in-law lived in Highland Park and their kids went to Horace Mann so I'm mooching off their (insanely thorough) research. I have no kids of my own, but I know several parents who sing the praises of Nova Classical Academy (also in St. Paul). I'm sure there are other good schools in both cities but (as I'm sure you know 1000 times more than I do...) parenting is more than a full time job so getting your kids in good schools is going to take a lot of research and hard work.

I suspect but do not know that the schools in southwest Minneapolis are probably good, and those are great, family-friendly neighborhoods. I'd research schools in that area of Minneapolis to see if there is one that looks good for your kids.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:02 AM

182 posts, read 197,374 times
Not everything about St. Paul school choice is complicated. If you live within the attendance area of a neighborhood school, you have a slot. If your attendance area school is a magnet, then you have preference (and I think it's rare you would be denied). My understanding is that isn't always the case in Minneapolis. If you are trying to get into a school outside your attendance area or certain magnet schools, things can get more complicated. Highland has good choices in schools, Mac Groveland as well, and don't overlook Saint Anthony Park, which has their own elementary, and is about as charming an area as you could ever hope to live in.

Saint Paul has chosen to enlarge many of these schools, presumably to get more kids into the most desirable schools, but at the same time I kind of wonder about the small school character that may be lost. My kids were are Horace Mann and in my opinion that was the biggest thing it had going for it.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,877 times
I appreciate all of the advice that has been provided thus far. To add additional context to my post... my wife works in Saint Paul and I work in Minneapolis. We currently rent in the South Metro but are looking to buy a single family home (preference of at least 3 beds & 2 baths) with a budget of $325,000. Beyond moving to Minneapolis or Saint Paul to improve our commute we hope to increase our proximity to cultural activities and live in an area that is more "community-focused" than where we currently rent in the South Metro.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:24 PM

91 posts, read 119,162 times
You may want to look in Kenny and Armatage as well. Kenny and Armatage which is Montessori elementary feeds into Anthony and SW high, Burroughs feeds into Ramsey and Washburn. All very good schools. The neighborhoods are nice, convenient locations. This is a nice home for $325 - http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M86991-30198

Last edited by gopherviking; 05-15-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherviking View Post
You may want to look in Kenny and Armatage as well. Kenny elementary feeds into Anthony and SW high, Armatage feeds into Ramsey and Washburn. All very good schools. The neighborhoods are nice, convenient locations. This is a nice home for $325 - 5415 Washburn Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55410 - realtor.com®
I believe Armataage has same neighborhood schools as Kenny - Kenny, Anthony and Southwest. Armatage Montessori is a magnet school, not neoghborhood.

I would second the recommendation of both neighborhoods. My daughter will start kindergarten at Kenny in the fall and we have been extremely impressed by the school and its leadership ao far.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM

91 posts, read 119,162 times
You are correct, sorry - I mixed it up with Burroughs, which is Ramsey/Washburn - thanks for the correction, will edit.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedralhill1 View Post
Not everything about St. Paul school choice is complicated. If you live within the attendance area of a neighborhood school, you have a slot. If your attendance area school is a magnet, then you have preference (and I think it's rare you would be denied). My understanding is that isn't always the case in Minneapolis. If you are trying to get into a school outside your attendance area or certain magnet schools, things can get more complicated. Highland has good choices in schools, Mac Groveland as well, and don't overlook Saint Anthony Park, which has their own elementary, and is about as charming an area as you could ever hope to live in.

Saint Paul has chosen to enlarge many of these schools, presumably to get more kids into the most desirable schools, but at the same time I kind of wonder about the small school character that may be lost. My kids were are Horace Mann and in my opinion that was the biggest thing it had going for it.
Are you sure you have a spot if you live in bounds in St. Paul? We are moving to the Twin Cities, and I was told by SPPS that spots aren't guaranteed to your local school. Possibly they are if you make the February lottery cutoff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul