Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:43 PM

195 posts, read 670,123 times

Advertisements

I've been away from Minnesota for 15 years and possibly taking an early retirement from the military. I would like to come home but can't seem to find anything that matches my skillset there. I've been an emergency manager and classified material systems manager for 15 years. I have countless ICS certifications and tons of training but no college degree. The emergency manager field is totally saturated and there's no military bases there to handle crypto. I've applied for countless jobs with major companies there who claim veteran preference and never here a word. Is there a major industry up there that I should and get some training for? I'm afraid I'll end up having to go back to crappy Norfolk or DC in order to find a job which would make me miserable. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:22 AM

2,584 posts, read 2,085,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I've been away from Minnesota for 15 years and possibly taking an early retirement from the military. I would like to come home but can't seem to find anything that matches my skillset there. I've been an emergency manager and classified material systems manager for 15 years. I have countless ICS certifications and tons of training but no college degree. The emergency manager field is totally saturated and there's no military bases there to handle crypto. I've applied for countless jobs with major companies there who claim veteran preference and never here a word. Is there a major industry up there that I should and get some training for? I'm afraid I'll end up having to go back to crappy Norfolk or DC in order to find a job which would make me miserable. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Are you applying for open positions related to but outside your field as well as open positions in your field?

If it is as saturated as you say, it may be a matter of companies not wanting to interview a candidate who is time zones away and not yet available when so many local, qualified candidates can start in two weeks time.

Though it is rude if they are not even responding to applications.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Yeah I apply for jobs that are open and use my mothers local address. I've taken resume writing courses and still have had no luck. Companies like 3m and general dynamics, airlines, and basically every other top minnesota company, still nothing.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,742,611 times
I've always wondered how the military job preference thing is enforced. It's a nice perk, if companies actually use it. My guess is that companies hire the best candidate, regardless of military status. No idea how they get away with it.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,171,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've always wondered how the military job preference thing is enforced. It's a nice perk, if companies actually use it. My guess is that companies hire the best candidate, regardless of military status. No idea how they get away with it.
because there's no law requiring them to do so??

Old 10-11-2015, 08:26 AM

5,746 posts, read 2,793,783 times
I believe old fed is right, unless you are a disabled vet or applying for a gov't job, companies are not required by law to give you special consideration. It is illegal for them to disqualify you based on military service, but otherwise you just have to be the best qualified, like anyone else.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:41 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,849,846 times
I've actually seen a few govt jobs related to Emergency Management- I believe the state of MN currently has an opening or two. Not sure what classified material systems management involves, if you could describe further might be able to think of some transferable skills.

Have you ever considered fields like EMS or firefighting? They can be competitive (esp firefighter), but with your emergency management and veteran status I would think you would go to the top of the line of candidates. I would also assume that there are resources out there for returning veterans looking for training in a specific career field if desired (see Veterans Employment Services).

Keep your eye on government websites' jobs pages. There are generally separate ones for city governments, county governments, Metropolitan Council, state of MN, and federal jobs. Make sure it is very clear in cover letter and resume that you are a veteran. You might also want to check out jobs in the nonprofit sector - Nonprofit Job Board | Minnesota Council of Nonprofits. There could be some tie-ins to Emergency Management with places like the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. Good luck!

I would also encourage you to not be dissuaded when you see "BA or equivalent combination of education/experience"- when an employer says "or equivalent experience" they generally mean it (can speak from experience). This job is in St. Cloud but could be worth checking out: https://www.americanredcross.apply2j...&CurrentPage=1

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 10-12-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 AM

465 posts, read 419,951 times
Default its painfully true

Quote:
I retired from the AF 4 years ago. While in the military, we are told that we are the cream of the crop and companies are waiting for your resume. Well, I started applying for jobs 3-6 months out, and I got minimal replies. On one interview, one guy hurt my feelings big time. After "quickly" explaining my luxurious splendid 20 year AF career, the interviewer gave me a "whatever look" and sighed with an "ok." This reality is a hard pill to the swallow. Be ready for that, I found that some people don't care.

I recommend attending TAP twice. They will help you diversify your resume. For example, has there been some training that you could grow into a potential job. For example, I see some crypto, did you receive some cyber training...if so, I recommend highlighting that training to open more doors. Based on this scenario you could start applying for cyber jobs. Also, I bought a resume translating book, this helped me replace my military jargon with matching civilian language.

In an attempt to keep this short, I will close with some quick thoughts.
- Have money set aside.
- Drop the military speak.
- Don't be surprised if you are working in a new career field.
- Be ready for rejection (cant be overstated).
- Start looking for jobs in areas besides Norfolk and Minnesota...search regionally...for example, I was searching the entire east coast and some of the Midwest.
- Search for the current hot jobs. Do you need more education to work these jobs?
- Above all, don't sell yourself short. You are the cream of crop. You simply must learn how to spin your story to people who don't care about the military or don't know about the military.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2015, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your responses. I'll start broadening my searches but honestly need to be in the twin cities or nearby for family reasons. I've looked into becoming a firefighter but not too hard, I'll give that some more thought. I wanted to become a cop in MN several years ago but was deterred due to all the hiring freezes and layoffs that were taking place. A CMS manager disseminates
Classified materials to various units and managed all the account information, serves as subject matter expert for all communications security systems and countless other technical areas. I do have some cyber security training but not at the administrator level but it's an option. The job is a nightmare to be honest and there's a lot of turnover but your only going be hired near major military installations.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,849,846 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I'll start broadening my searches but honestly need to be in the twin cities or nearby for family reasons. I've looked into becoming a firefighter but not too hard, I'll give that some more thought. I wanted to become a cop in MN several years ago but was deterred due to all the hiring freezes and layoffs that were taking place. A CMS manager disseminates
Classified materials to various units and managed all the account information, serves as subject matter expert for all communications security systems and countless other technical areas. I do have some cyber security training but not at the administrator level but it's an option. The job is a nightmare to be honest and there's a lot of turnover but your only going be hired near major military installations.
If law enforcement is an interest area, remember that in addition to traditional city police departments, there are police units of Metropolitan Transit (transit police) and the Minneapolis Parks & Rec Board (park police), which does most of its hiring just before spring as that's when they are gearing up on their seasonal staff- these can be a good stepping stone to getting into more formal police work.

The City of St. Paul regularly does an EMS training for residents that can also be a good bridge into first responder or firefighting work.

And if IT is an interest area, there is a lot of investment going into IT Training opportunities for local residents right now. Check into some of the veteran's employment and training resources, a local workforce center, or a nonprofit doing employment & training- some of the funding for these opportunities are city-specific, e.g. if you live in the core cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul you might be more likely to gain acceptance. DM me if you're interested in more information or to be further pointed in a direction and I could look up potential contact organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul