Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 40,625 times

Advertisements

Husband is starting a new job just up the street from the Metrodome (sorry- don't know the new name)- was considering North Oaks but concerned about the commute. It is easier to commute from there or the Wayzata/Minnetonka area? I assume neither have access to public transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 10,439 times
It's easier (and probably slightly quicker) to get to the metrodome side of downtown coming from North Oaks/35W. But I would still choose the Wayzata area over North Oaks if those are your options.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 181,034 times
Wayzata is a very quick, straight shot to DT Mpls. It is one of the hidden gems in terms of commutes. Figure 12-15 minutes on 394, and add whatever time it would take to get to your house to 394. Most folks in that area have 20-minute commutes point-to-point.

Right now is a bad example....394 is under construction.... but normally it is very good.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 40,625 times
Comparing the two areas, why would you prefer Wayzata over North Oaks?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,492 times
There are express bus routes from downtown Wayzata to downtown Minneapolis. Although that would likely be a headache because you would need to go through the entirety of downtown Minneapolis to get to the Metrodome area. That might double your commute time.

From North Oaks you could easily get to the Shoreview Community Center. There's an "express" route from there to downtown Minneapolis, but it's kind of slow (40 minutes) and drops you off a ways west of the Metrodome. I would probably drive a bit further to the County H park and ride. It's a 15 minute ride to the Metrodome in the morning from there. However, the evening commute would require you to take the light rail or other transit a bit west and then a 25 minute or so ride (different routes into/out of downtown Minneapolis).

Both transit options will not offer much in terms of time flexibility.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 AM

442 posts, read 594,097 times
My wife commuted from North Oaks to downtown Minneapolis with no problems. 25 to 30 minutes each day, about the same as what it takes her now from Blaine.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:48 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
The biggest problem with living west of the downtown area for me was always the Sun. Right in your eyes driving in the morning to downtown and again right in your eyes going home at night. I never liked that and picked the North Oaks to White Bear Lake area to drive to downtown and even Edina for work. Would have been closer living in the West area but just never liked all the sun in my eyes.

North Oaks is beautiful with a few groups to join and the golf club, private lake. Wayzata has many more lakes and restaurants.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMY624 View Post
Comparing the two areas, why would you prefer Wayzata over North Oaks?
There is really nothing but big houses in North Oaks. Wayzata is in the middle of everything, comparing the two is pointless. Wayzata has their own school district, NO I believe is White Bear Lake area schools but most of the kids from NO go to private schools.

One offers quick access to everything, the other peace and quiet but sitting in traffic to get to work. What is your choice?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There is really nothing but big houses in North Oaks. Wayzata is in the middle of everything, comparing the two is pointless. Wayzata has their own school district, NO I believe is White Bear Lake area schools but most of the kids from NO go to private schools.

One offers quick access to everything, the other peace and quiet but sitting in traffic to get to work. What is your choice?
Yes, Wayzata has it's name on a school district. But, isn't that district largely parts of Plymouth? That's like claiming Mounds View has its own district. Incidentally, Mounds View is the district that contains most of North Oaks.

I'm skeptical that most North Oaks kids go to private schools. Where would they go other than somewhere small for religious reasons?

Blake even has a campus in Wayzata, presumably because a fair number of kids in Wayzata do go to private school.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 PM

442 posts, read 594,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

In my experience (growing up in Shoreview and North Oaks), North Oaks kids go to public school. Most of the homes in NO are in Mounds View, the ones on the east side go to WBL, but there's a difference in home price for Mounds View vs. WBL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul