Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 AM

401 posts, read 319,763 times

Advertisements

What are the laws/rules for composting in MN? The site that supposedly has all the information isn't working. I did find another site but it isn't spelled out clear enough and i'm confused what is allowed and what isn't.

Is it illegal to compost humanure? (don't laugh, there's a huge movement about this)

I for sure want to compost my kitchen and lawn scraps, but recently learned about humanure and most people who compost that live in the country so they are able to store huge amounts of it in compost bins for a year so it can turn to soil, but I will be living in the city so i'm not sure if that's allowed or not. I will be living in a trailer park, actually, so that probably makes it even less likely to be legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
It varies by county and city. Where are you located?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 AM

Red Wing, in Goodhue county.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:14 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
See Sections 2 and 9. Your neighbors will be glad to know that you cannot put human feces in your compost pile in Red Wing.

Solid Waste Ordinance - City of Red Wing

Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
What are the laws/rules for composting in MN? The site that supposedly has all the information isn't working. I did find another site but it isn't spelled out clear enough and i'm confused what is allowed and what isn't.

Is it illegal to compost humanure? (don't laugh, there's a huge movement about this)

I for sure want to compost my kitchen and lawn scraps, but recently learned about humanure and most people who compost that live in the country so they are able to store huge amounts of it in compost bins for a year so it can turn to soil, but I will be living in the city so i'm not sure if that's allowed or not. I will be living in a trailer park, actually, so that probably makes it even less likely to be legal.
there should be an obvious crack in here somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it...a little help, please?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 AM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there should be an obvious crack in here somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it...a little help, please?
WC fields forever?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:06 AM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
More seriously, adding human waste to other forms of compostable material in a backyard environment probably isn't going to fly (except maybe literally).

Under the right conditions it can work but you'd probably need some sort of city review or approval of your methods.

Many years ago in college there was a test house on campus that employed all manner of renewable technologies, including a composting toilet. I didn't know much about it other than it involved fairly extensive containment using sawdust. It was crude but apparently effective - and this was 25 years ago. The city also treated its wastewater with a system of marshes (still does) which was pretty cutting edge back then and a lot more common now.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Crack?

Old 06-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
See Sections 2 and 9. Your neighbors will be glad to know that you cannot put human feces in your compost pile in Red Wing.

Solid Waste Ordinance - City of Red Wing
I didn't see anything in there specifically about human waste...but it's about as easy to read as a legal document full of technical terms that goes on for miles, I'm not even sure if I understood any of it, lol It said in there you have to separate your glass by color and nobody does that, everything goes into one bin, no matter what it is. I don't think they can possibly enforce all these crazy rules.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM

In all the books/videos/tutorials I have seen, you only need a few big drums, i'm not sure what they are called, you know those big metal bins, actually they don't even have to be metal, some people use plastic garbage cans that seal tight...or you can build a square containment area in your yard and use straw to cover everything, obviously I can't do that here in a mobile home park. I guess I can't do anything like this here, just kitchen compost. I guess that's fine, I was just hoping to live more sustainably/off-grid but that can't really be done in a mobile home in the city. Maybe someday if I ever own a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul