Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,448,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Yes, Minneapolis is just like SF, but with winter, no hills, hardly any asian people, no high tech companies, no ocean, no bay, no earthquake risk, no Castro, no Mission, no SoMa, no Twin Peaks, no Golden Gate Bridge, no Tenderloin, no Marina, no North Beach, no Golden Gate Park, no Haight Ashbury, no Alcatraz, no decent burritos, no cable cars, no Chinatown, no Dolores Park, and at least two dozen other major differences. Other than that you will find it hard to notice you are not in SF.
What are you talking about "hardly any Asian people"? The Twin Cities has the largest Hmong population outside of Vietnam. There's literally a Little Mekong district in St. Paul.

Most of your "major differences" are a pretty big reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,467,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
What are you talking about "hardly any Asian people"? The Twin Cities has the largest Hmong population outside of Vietnam. There's literally a Little Mekong district in St. Paul.

Most of your "major differences" are a pretty big reach.
San Francisco is 33% asian. Minneapolis is 5.6% asian. San Francisco and Minneapolis really could not be more different. Culturally, geographically, climate, history, economically... they are nothing alike. A statement like "Minneapolis is San Francisco with winter" is simply absurd.

Last edited by tjasse; 03-24-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 PM

109 posts, read 189,103 times
To be fair, MSP's Asian population is much more highly concentrated in St. Paul, not within Minneapolis' limits. But yes, of course SF has the highest concentration of any major US city.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Yes, Minneapolis is just like SF, but with winter, no hills, hardly any asian people, no high tech companies, no ocean, no bay, no earthquake risk, no Castro, no Mission, no SoMa, no Twin Peaks, no Golden Gate Bridge, no Tenderloin, no Marina, no North Beach, no Golden Gate Park, no Haight Ashbury, no Alcatraz, no decent burritos, no cable cars, no Chinatown, no Dolores Park, and at least two dozen other major differences. Other than that you will find it hard to notice you are not in SF.
I mean culturally, especially for a gay couple in south Minneapolis. As usual, you tend to focus on superficial, physical characteristics.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
San Francisco is 33% asian. Minneapolis is 5.6% asian. San Francisco and Minneapolis really could not be more different. Culturally, geographically, climate, history, economically... they are nothing alike. A statement like "Minneapolis is San Francisco with winter" is simply absurd.
No one said Minneapolis has just as big an Asian population as San Francisco... The Twin Cities does have one of the most significant Asian populations in the country though.

Please, it's not a comparison you need to take so literally.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:57 PM

49 posts, read 79,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
The Twin Cities does have one of the most significant Asian populations in the country though.
That still doesn't ring true.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy1 View Post
by "most significant" I'd probably say he meant better and have to agree (is this the only smiley that has a digit?)

Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I mean culturally, especially for a gay couple in south Minneapolis. As usual, you tend to focus on superficial, physical characteristics.
I've lived in both cities, and I agree. Yes, I think we all know that physically they are quite different, and the demographic specifics vary, but I think culturally for a young gay couple it's not going to be so different.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy1 View Post
MSAs over 1 million by percentage of core population identifying as "Asian alone":

1. San Francisco: 33.3%
2. San Jose: 32.0%
3. Sacramento: 18.3%
4. San Diego: 15.9%
5. New York: 12.7%
6. Seattle-Tacoma: 12.5%
7. Los Angeles: 11.3%
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul: 9.6%
9. Boston: 8.9%
10. Portland: 7.1%
11. Providence: 6.4%
12. Philadelphia: 6.3%
=. Austin: 6.3%
14. Las Vegas: 6.1%
15. Houston: 6.0%
(...)
47. Cincinnati: 1.8%
=. Cleveland: 1.8%
49. Memphis: 1.6%
50. Miami-Fort Lauderdale: 1.1%
51. Birmingham: 1.0%

Minneapolis alone is 5.6% Asian-American (would be #16, between Chicago and Houston).
St. Paul alone is 15.0% Asian-American (would be #5, between New York and San Diego).

Brooklyn Park, MN is 15.4% Asian-American.
Falcon Heights, MN is 15.0% Asian-American.
Brooklyn Center, MN is 14.3% Asian-American.
Little Canada, MN is 13.1% Asian-American.
Maplewood, MN is 10.4% Asian-American.
Woodbury, MN is 9.1% Asian-American.
Hopkins, MN is 8.5% Asian-American.
Oakdale, MN is 8.2% Asian-American.
Vadnais Heights, MN is 7.6% Asian-American.
Roseville, MN is 7.3% Asian American.
Shoreview, MN is 7.2% Asian-American.
North St. Paul, MN is 6.6% Asian-American.

Ramsey County is 13.2% Asian-American.
Hennepin County is 6.9% Asian-American.

(all data straight from State and County QuickFacts)

**I realize this is absolutely not the most nuanced methodology. I realize it's inherently inaccurate to disregard urban suburbs, especially in cities like Los Angeles and Portland. However no one has time to pull all that data together and the big picture is accurate enough for this purpose.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 AM

109 posts, read 189,103 times
Great post Steel. This is splitting hairs with regard to the original topic, but I would very much support the assertion that MSP has one of the most "significant" Asian populations, especially when considering cities outside of CA. By comparison, DFW metro has ~3.5% Asian population. Outside of California, I find the percentage of Asians in major metros to be surprisingly small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul