Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times

Advertisements

once you're east of hwy 3 maybe but rosemount is connected to AV/lakeville. county 42 runs through rosemount and west of 3 there's normal suburban density for the most part including strip malls.

east of hwy 3 and south of county 50 is when you see the developments drop off significantly. granted there are some farms north and west of those landmarks but it would be rare to find a 5 acre lot thought not impossible.

in about 2007 a developer bought a farm the lies just north of 195th and just west of hwy 3. i don't think the same developer owns it anymore and the original owner still gets to farm it until developed (but his home on the land has been razed). it's platted with the county for quite a large number of homes and the farmington council would sell their souls to get that moving again, fairhill was the development name i think. spirit of brandtjen isn't built out yet neither is tullamore.

along county 42 between rosemount and hastings seems pretty country or anywhere out that general direction. a quick search shows plans for a development on cedar south of dodd as well as land for sale around the farmington high school.

so, that's a long winded way of saying southeast of the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,379 times
In looking at all the posts it seems like and area to the southeast would be best. How is Vermillion or Cannon Falls area? We want land to have some chickens, maybe a few milk goats but that's about it other than a decent garden. Something that won't be suburbia in 5 years basically. What about to the east maybe in Wisconsin?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:48 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Cannon Falls is stretching your commute perhaps. That town is definately not 'part of the metro'.

Keep in mind however that the 'I want a hobby farm not in the Burbs but close enough to commute to the city' fast forward 10 years ...'NIMBY! Don't develop here!' is a very predictable refrain. Basically you've got to be ok with it 'changing' down the road (ask the folks in Woodbury 20 years ago, Lakeville, Farmington, soon Lake Elmo when the Met Council demands development).

Something interesting to keep in mind is that Cannon Falls is basically 1/2 way between Rochester and TCs. It could conceivably either be the last small town left 30 years from now or get brought into the growing Roch area.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
I don't want to sound like a broken record but I don't believe the area I mentioned on the way to Afton will be further subdivided in my lifetime.

It looks like it has been tried to be turned into subdivisions in the past, and then failed. I just saw a pretty cool listing on zillow that was 7 acres for under $400K. There are weird houses out there where someone bought it in 2004 for $50K, and looks like they just left it there with no upgrades for the past 10 years. Anyway I used to go to Afton Alps all the time and it really just looks like farmland out there.

I believe fewer people age 40 and below have any desire (or funds) to live a far flung commuter subdivision lifestyle so I would guess that area won't change much.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Honestly, I wouldn't count on being within that short of a commute to the airport and having the area stay truly rural. Doesn't mean it's going to turn into a dense urban area, but it could well change or someone could come along and build an ugly new housing development (that is, as has been noted, a common refrain from people in many a TC suburb). That said, some milk goats and chickens on 5 acres is easy enough; you could attempt to purchase next to land that is protected in some way (easements, parks, etc.) to decrease the odds of the area being turned over to strip malls and McMansions. I wouldn't go the WI route; that commute would be rough.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 AM

264 posts, read 313,999 times
Sunfish Lake is budget is not constrained.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrank64 View Post
Hi, My husband and I are planning to relocate to the area and would like to know what would be the best areas to live in "the country" outside of Minneapolis? His job will be right by the airport, he is okay with about a 45-50 minute commute at the most. We would like to have a home with about 5 acres give or take. I hope this helps to narrow it down. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!
not sure if your budget in the TC area is the same as you posted ($200K) on the Houston Forum, but it's not likely that you will find 5 acres, with a "decent" house within 50 minutes of the airport, especially during commute times. Maybe could be done following I35 north out of town past Stacy, North Branch, Rush City but it is likely to push your commute up to just a bit over 60 minutes.

Harris, Chisago County, Minnesota land for sale - 7.57 acres at LandWatch.com

Old 03-11-2015, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,379 times
My budget here would be higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul