Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,959 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for your helpful information!!

We live in a suburb of Savannah and besides going to the grocery store, it takes 25 minutes to get anywhere (church, preschool, decent restaurants). My husband's commute right now is about 40 minutes so 20 minutes by car sounds like a dream!

Another potential problem in figuring out where to live is that we only want to spend about 225k on a house starting out.

We have two cars and plan to keep it that way; we're just excited to live closer to attractions and work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:46 PM

906 posts, read 1,771,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaghanlfogarty View Post
Thank you so much for your helpful information!!
Another potential problem in figuring out where to live is that we only want to spend about 225k on a house starting out.
Your budget will be the challenge. It effectively rules out Highland and Mac Groveland unless you buy something that needs to be fixed up. I would look along the I-94 cooridor (there are some nice neighborhoods immediately south of I-94 and west of Snelling), western part of Midway, and Como. Stay away from eastern Midway and Frogtown.

You will want to live west of downtown St Paul given your husband is commuting the Minneapolis.

You could also consider renting for the short term until you find something you like, but it could be tough to move twice with two toddlers. The advantage to renting is you can get a better feel for neighborhoods before you commit to buying.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
$225k is tight, but possible; there's a 3-BR in Merriam Park (nice neighborhood) for that price.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,316,796 times
Your budget means you won't necessarily get more house for your money in St. Paul. It mostly rules out some of the best options. If you are looking in Como, Midway, etc for a $225k house you might as well look in NE and S Minneapolis, and the near-in suburbs, too.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,959 times
Another reason that we were looking at Saint Paul as opposed to say Bloomington is that we like the type of house we'd be getting for the same price. We like the older homes with character better than the Post World War II bungalows that the suburbs of Minneapolis have.

Who knows, maybe when we get up there and look around in person, we'll completely change our minds, but I want to be as well informed as I can.

Also, Como Park looks pretty fun! I had never heard of it!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,316,796 times
Hope it didn't sound like I was talking you out of St. Paul. Just that you shouldn't rule out Minneapolis. The houses in your price range are going to be similar in both cities. The commutes will likely be similar, too. There are a lot of options at that price if you are ok with an older home.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:59 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,763,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaghanlfogarty View Post
Another reason that we were looking at Saint Paul as opposed to say Bloomington is that we like the type of house we'd be getting for the same price. We like the older homes with character better than the Post World War II bungalows that the suburbs of Minneapolis have.

Who knows, maybe when we get up there and look around in person, we'll completely change our minds, but I want to be as well informed as I can.

Also, Como Park looks pretty fun! I had never heard of it!
How could I forget to mention Lake Como? City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website - Como Lake This where people in Minnesota like to go to walk their dogs, rollerblade, jog, etc. Also forgot to mention the Como Golf Course in case that's your thing. City of Saint Paul Public Golf - Saint Paul, MN - Como Golf Course

I really think this would be a great neighborhood for you to explore further and a budget of $215k is absolutely reasonable. You won't get a mansion for that price, but you can get a 3 bed/2 bath/1600 sq ft house with character in a very wholesome, family friendly neighborhood that's 5-10 minutes by car to everything you'll ever need and hubby is still only 15 minutes by car to work, or could drive to the train/bus in 5 minutes, park and ride.

- 3/2 1667 sq ft $218k
1380 Asbury St, Saint Paul, MN 55108 is For Sale - Zillow

- 3/2 1567 sq ft $215k
1561 Albany Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55108 is For Sale - Zillow

- 3/2 1616 sq ft $220k
1529 Wynne Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55108 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
I know people over by Lake Como with jobs in downtown Minneapolis that have a very easy bus ride to work. It's a great area, with tons of amenities for families with kids. I agree that with that budget and a preference for an older home then that part of St. Paul is well worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul