Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 AM

12 posts, read 30,329 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I'll be relocating to Minneapolis in June after being out of the country on work assignment. This would be my first time working in Minneapolis; so new to the city. I am looking for 1 BED/1BATH apartments. My colleagues have told me to look in Uptown, St Anthony on Main and Nordeast? I will be coming into Minneapolis next week for a look-see. My job is in Shoreview but I would like to live in a place that's more lively since I am a single female (Young Professional). I have been using forrent to search for places but I am sooooo confused. So far, I have found the following places that look like my kind of style:
1. Eitel Building City Apartments
2. Stone Arch Apartments
3. 1800 Lake on Calhoun Apartments (This is ideal but tooo pricey).

I've lived in Indiana and I know I'll have to up my budget for Minneapolis area. I am prepared to go upwards of $1000 but not above $1300 for a 1 bedroom/1 bath. I don't really have to be in the action area. If I can save money by staying close by the 'action' areas then I would be willing to do so.

What I would like from the team/group here is recommendations on specific apartments that I can go check out when I fly into Mn for a week.

I really like the chic/urban newer buildings. 1800 Lake is my ideal kind of living but that place is wayyyy to expensive for a 1bedroom.
Originally I was thinking, hardwood floors, floor to ceiling windows a loft type setting but from what I am seeing online these are very pricey.

Please help!

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,053,094 times
Unfortunately, you will not find a 1BR in a newer building for less than $1300. Even the new building being put up in Shoreview (Tycon Apartments | Lakeview Terrace | Apartments for Rent) starts out at $1325 for a 1BD. There are a lot of apartments in older buildings that are less expensive, but you'll have to deal with finding them on Craigslist.

Shoreview is not a convenient commute from anywhere fun to hang out, so living in either Uptown or Nordeast is probably fine. The reverse commute isn't so bad.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,890,846 times
I think you are either going to need to get pretty lucky or something will have to give--whether that be the budget or the chic new building or the 1BR requirement. If you are willing to go with a studio, you could check out Lime and Elan in Uptown: I think they both have studios starting around $1,300.

Mill & Main in the St Anthony Main area would be a contender. It looks like they have have two floor plans that start at or under $1,300. There is no reason not to look at 222 Hennepin across the river in downtown; I haven't been inside, but it looks like a beautiful building and they claim the 1BR units start around your price range.

I could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling that Northeast--outside of the immediate St. Anthony Main area--would be a particularly good fit for you. That area tends to skew more working-class and the leading edge of the hipsters who want to emulate that way of life. You won't find much in the way of swanky new buildings in Northeast.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,284,817 times
This is farther out than what you really want, but I know someone who lives there and loves it. Lots of young professionals. It would be a snap commute to Shoreview.

White Bear Woods Apartments Apartments For Rent in White Bear Lake, Minnesota - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 AM

12 posts, read 30,329 times
Thanks for your response. rzzz and StPaulGal sounds like you might be right; something might have to give.
I will look into the suggestions mentioned here. jzeig104 thanks for the suggestion too!
I just heard that my company would be providing me with a renter market tour so I should have some more feedback from my consultant.
Leaving soon for Minneapolis. I am excited but not my bank account ha!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:41 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,053,094 times
You should snap this place up if you're in town soon:

SOLHEM-Everything within walking distance (bars! shops! grocery store!

The commute to Shoreview isn't going to be good, but you'd be in a great looking new apartment in the middle of the action in Uptown.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,114 times
Hey, we just got back from Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago. We've looked at MANY one bedroom apts in Uptown/Downtown/Loring Park area. I can tell you 100% that you won't find a 1bedroom in a newer building for under $1550. You might find something for $1420-1440 but if you need a parking spot, it'll definitely be more like $1550 for the 'cheapest nice' place. You should look into renting an alcove (I think it's a MN thing; it's more like a studio or efficiency. Then you might be able to stay under $1300.
Out all of all the buildings we looked at, these are the ones we liked the most:
222 Hennepin in Downtown-connected to Whole Foods, many apts have a really nice view of downtown, nice gym, free SB coffee, the building has a classy feel to it
The Murals of LynLake in Uptown-very well-maintained, large closets, only about 100 units-so it has a community feel to it, we spoke with several residents and all of them said that they renewed their leases for next year which is always a good sign, many 'young professionals' , within walking distance to many restaurants and a park with trails
***I'd suggest staying away from Lime in Uptown-they had some really obnoxious ads that were border line offensive to females. If that's the clientele they attract, I'd be slightly concerned about living there

Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling that Northeast--outside of the immediate St. Anthony Main area--would be a particularly good fit for you. That area tends to skew more working-class and the leading edge of the hipsters who want to emulate that way of life. You won't find much in the way of swanky new buildings in Northeast.
Going to have to disagree here...sort of.

I think you absolutely should be looking in Northeast Minneapolis, but in the areas around St. Anthony Main. I live in the area and it really is more bang for your buck in a very up-and-coming area.

From my apartment (near the Hennepin and Central intersection), I have a variety of cool bars and restaurants within walking distance. I have necessities like a grocery store and bank similarly nearby. I'm a 10-minute bus ride from a ton of great activities downtown (five minutes driving during non rush hour). A 20-25 minute bus ride to Uptown (10-15 minutes driving non rush). Easy access to amenities at the U. Best part of my location? I'm downtown adjacent and in an amenity-rich zone, but my neighborhood is leafy and quiet at night. The rent isn't bad either.

But there's one reason that I think Northeast is truly ideal for your situation, despite the fact that Uptown and South Minneapolis are great (when I can eventually move, Uptown is essentially a front runner with North Loop). That reason? Your commute. You don't want to live in South Minneapolis and have to slog up Hennepin or Lyndale to merge onto a congested I-94, come to an almost-complete stop as you go through the Lowry Tunnel, and then crawl through the bottleneck that is the 94/35 commons along with the 55 entrance and exits. And that only gets you past downtown. You now have the majority of your drive left.

As someone who's north of downtown, I can hop on the highway from the first entrance outside of downtown on 35 (University/4th) or the Johnson/New Brighton/Stinson entrance and skip all of the congestion from people commuting into downtown.

Unless your heart is completely set on a place in South Minneapolis, I just don't recommend adding a lot of stress (and time) as you move to a new city by sitting in unnecessary traffic. There are some brilliant areas just outside of downtown in NE that could be a great fit, so don't discount the place (and let me know if you have any specific questions)!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,688,481 times
Stone Arch all the way. Two words: Concrete floors.

Staying on that side of the river will also save you 10-20 minutes each way in traffic.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,157 times
Default Empty-nesters live in Mill&Main, The Nic on 5th, 222Hennepin?

Would really appreciate any information re: what new apartment buildings have a good % of residents who are empty nesters. Especially interested in Mill & Main, The Nic on 5th, and 222 Hennepin but any input is welcome! It is very difficult to find out this specific info as the building leasing agents can't share resident demographics due to fair housing laws. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul