Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,300 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old woman looking to buy my first home. I looked at a really nice one on the 33xx block of 5th Ave S, which in in the Central neighborhood. The house is recently updated and really nice. The problem is I'm not sure of the area. From what I've heard it seems like an area that's getting better, but is it good enough yet that I'd want to buy there? I would have a garage to park in and I'm hoping to rent out one or two rooms, so I wouldn't be living alone. But I don't want to live somewhere that I'd feel unsafe! Any input?

I also looked at one a half block south of lake on 17th Ave. This area seems perhaps a little better, but I'm worried about such close proximity to Lake. Again the house is really nice with a garage and space to rent, but that's not worth it if the neighborhood is no good!

I currently live (rent) in Longfellow and would love to stay, but at this point I haven't seen anything nearly so nice as these houses in my price range anywhere in Longfellow.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,241 times
Eh- I think I'd pass. That area has improved a lot in the past 20 years, but if I had a choice, I'd probably avoid Central altogether. I think Powderhorn is better. I know single women who live near the park and they love it. It seems to be getting more expensive too. Have you checked out Howe or Hiawatha?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM

292 posts, read 891,793 times
In my opinion both areas are fine. Both areas give you good bang for your buck. Neither one is Edina but neither are they Compton. My guess is your biggest issue is going to be property crimes. I'd contact the police precinct and get the crime reports for the area. Keep in mind that Minneapolis more than almost any city I've lived in is good block bad block.

I'd also suggest going and parking your car outside of the house on a nice weekend night around 10 or 11 and just watch and listen. Is a house having a huge party. Do any houses have a lot of foot traffic in and out. Then go back on a weekday around 10 in the morning. Are there a lot of people hanging out in front of any houses. Also look at how the houses are maintained. They don't have to look like something out of Better Homes and Gardens but the majority should have mowed lawns.

I'd also go on the City of Minneapolis website and do a property search on a bunch of the home on the block to see if they're rentals or owner occupied. If it's a high percentage of them are rentals I might pass.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,781 times
I think it will depend on your level of comfort.

These areas are improving safety-wise, but everyone has a different level that we cannot gauge. Have you checked out the recent crime maps that MPD has put up? Do they line up with your idea of safety?

The house off Lake is much closer to reports of violent crime (most violent crime is roughly within 2 blocks of Lake or closer to downtown).

I have a friend who lives in the Powderhorn neighborhood (a female in her early to mid twenties) and she seems to feel fairly safe walking around. She tries to avoid it at night, but she has frequently bused from a place like Uptown and got off on Lake Street nearish to her place and walked the many blocks back home without incident. Being smart in these neighborhoods goes a long way.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Central should re-label itself. Who the hell wants to live in an are called "Central"? It sounds like "South Central" L.A. or something. How about West Powderhorn?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Central should re-label itself. Who the hell wants to live in an are called "Central"? It sounds like "South Central" L.A. or something. How about West Powderhorn?
I'm willing to bet most people couldn't tell you what neighborhood they live in anyway, no matter what part of the city. Plenty of people seem to think anything north of about 31st, south of downtown, and west of 35W is "Uptown". If you asked what neighborhood, they'd probably be confused. Official neighborhood designations are pretty offset from reality, especially because they tend to fall along major streets, splitting up areas that would naturally be neighborhoods (Uptown, for instance) into many (in Uptown's case: ECCO, CARAG, Lowry Hill East, and East Isles).

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,513 times
Avoid central

Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM

191 posts, read 380,617 times
Go for it; the area is gentrifying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul