Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The light rail does not move within the nicer neighborhoods and to be "close" to the light rail in a nicer neighborhood puts you farther away from the rail then you would be in Eagan, walking to the coffee shops, etc. that one poster mentioned---even though he thinks you can only drive there . There are large, wide walking paths from where he lived to these coffee shops, restaurants, etc. It's a myth that you need to live in Minneapolis to find all this.
I strongly disagree with this entire post. We're within a few blocks of the Midtown/Lakestreet station, have never had concerns with safety and there are many great local businesses within a short walking distance, including the YWCA, the Midtown Farmer's Market, restaurants, coffee shops, parks, etc. We couldn't be happier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I strongly disagree with this entire post. We're within a few blocks of the Midtown/Lakestreet station, have never had concerns with safety and there are many great local businesses within a short walking distance, including the YWCA, the Midtown Farmer's Market, restaurants, coffee shops, parks, etc. We couldn't be happier!
The op doesn't want to live in a neighborhood where 1/2 of the houses are vacant either.....all the foreclosures in your area.....

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM

191 posts, read 380,874 times
Midtown rocks. Longfellow rocks. Eagan blows donkey *****.

Plenty of foreclosures in Eagan, Apple Valley, etc. S Mpls is more dense with smaller residential lot sizes, so you simply see more foreclosures on the map because of the lot sizes.

Furthermore, people are confusing walkablility with "it is possible to walk somewhere". E.g., you could walk from Woodbury to Minnetonka. Doesn't mean it's walkable.

Actually Eagan isnt that bad. It's mostly houses and gas stations, but there are some nice nature and parks.

Last edited by Pisces69; 03-06-2013 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 AM

20 posts, read 48,982 times
For me (the OP), when I think of walkability, I do tend to think more of parks, nature, enjoying the outdoors, etc. I realize that some people want the urban, architecture, 'energy' experience on their strolls, but that's not what I'm after. Sure it'd be nice to also have an option of some cute mom/pop places as a possible walking destination too, but I realize that in most cities/towns in North American you get one experience or the other but not typically both. So, since I have to choose, I pick the outdoor/nature/parks/paths experience as far away from the noise, sirens, typical commotion of big-city atmosphere as I can get.

Perhaps sharing my insights from my experiences in the MSP area last week will help. Here's my quick synopsis from a first-time visitors' perspective:

Eagan: outstanding 'nature' feel, with one, huge, hideous exception and that is the street named, "Wilderness Way". The ugly monstrosity of those huge power lines which go right along this road make it one of the biggest eye-sores I can recall from my entire MSP trip. Apart from that though, Eagan generally has the 'feel' that I'm looking for (in the better neighborhoods of course).

Apple Valley: not as great for nature as Eagan, but generally nicer homes with what appear to be more pristine, manicured neighborhoods. This is good and bad, sure it's nice and safe looking, but sometimes a bit too cookie-cutter-ish for my/our tastes (if that makes sense).

White Bear Lake: if you were 10 or 15 minutes closer to the airport this would been a done deal. I was born to die in a place like White Bear Lake, it's got "me" written all over it.

Roseville: convenience to the n-th degree, but very sterile feeling and too 'city-ish' for me (too much activity, traffic, noise, etc) Not nearly the nature feel of an Eagan or White Bear Lake. What it does it does well, it's just that what it does is not quite what I'm after first and foremost.

Hudson/Lakeland area: Wonderful nature areas with much more of a "northwoods" feel. I could walk those river trails all day long, but again, like White Bear Lake, just too far from the airport to be an easy decision. The airport is a weekly need for us, so this is why it's an important factor in our decision.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Add Hastings to your list then. Similar to White Bear Lake. It may seem farther from the airport on the map but it's a straight shot up 55 with minimal traffic any time of the day.

Did you drive back through the neighborhood on Wilderness Way? It's a wonderful area, especially if you want "nature". I agree with the power station on Pilot Knob though, yuck. Farther back in that neighborhood, closer to Lexington, there are several lakes, very wooded, etc.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM

20 posts, read 48,982 times
We'll add Hastings to our list of places to visit next time, though I don't see what it gains over a White Bear Lake given it's location, but we'll see. We'll be doing more detailed exploring in Eagan and Apple Valley as well since both of those (Eagan in particular) are perfectly located for us. If we can be far away from "Wilderness Run Rd" in Eagan (where the hideous huge power lines are), then we're fine with Eagan. It's a shame they're such an eye-sore in what is otherwise a very scenic suburb.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBetcha View Post
We'll add Hastings to our list of places to visit next time, though I don't see what it gains over a White Bear Lake given it's location, but we'll see. We'll be doing more detailed exploring in Eagan and Apple Valley as well since both of those (Eagan in particular) are perfectly located for us. If we can be far away from "Wilderness Run Rd" in Eagan (where the hideous huge power lines are), then we're fine with Eagan. It's a shame they're such an eye-sore in what is otherwise a very scenic suburb.
Hastings gives you a traffic free commute to the airport. Coming from White Bear Lake, non-rush hour isn't going to be an issue, but if you have to get to the airport during rush hour, traffic isn't fun crossing through the city. Neither place, however, is going to be THAT bad of a weekly drive to/from the airport. Eagan is certainly easier though. Eagan's a big place. You have about a 6 block radius of those powerlines and the rest is just fine. Apple Valley around Lebanon Park and the Zoo is equally as lush and scenic. If you get further south it flattens out and becomes more commercial with the shopping area. I would just look more toward the Lexington Ave side of Eagan vs the Pilot Knob side, but really go over the hill past those powerlines and you are fine. Even on Wilderness Run, 3 blocks into that development you would never know they were there.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The op doesn't want to live in a neighborhood where 1/2 of the houses are vacant either.....all the foreclosures in your area.....
Yeah, definitely getting a little tired of your baseless trashing of my neighborhood. Your assertion could not be further from the truth.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Yeah, definitely getting a little tired of your baseless trashing of my neighborhood. Your assertion could not be further from the truth.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM

643 posts, read 1,039,123 times
LOL @ both of you

Rosemount, MN Foreclosures for Sale - Short Sale Real Estate | HomeFinder.com

Longfellow Foreclosures — Trulia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul