Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are there any black majority neighborhoods in the Twin Cities? I think the vast majority of posters on this forum just mean a neighborhood that isn't 80% white. (or 80% any race, but I don't think there are any neighborhoods in the Twin Cities that fit anywhere near that category other than the white neighborhoods)
I looked up stats on Minneapolis' neighborhood profiles site (admittedly only updated for the 2000 Census numbers) and only a few neighborhoods like Near North, Jordan, and Hawthorne are majority black. Many North Minneapolis neighborhoods--which most people seem to think is only inhabited by African-Americans--seem to still have a plurality of whites or are a mix of blacks, whites, Asians, and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Are there any black majority neighborhoods in the Twin Cities? I think the vast majority of posters on this forum just mean a neighborhood that isn't 80% white. (or 80% any race, but I don't think there are any neighborhoods in the Twin Cities that fit anywhere near that category other than the white neighborhoods)
There's the north side and neighboring suburbs, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for. If you're thinking of the predominately Black middle class neighborhoods of the kind found in the DC Area (esp. parts of PG County) or Atlanta, you won't find that here.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 AM

358 posts, read 446,345 times
The neighborhoods around William Mitchell are some of the nicest in the Twin Cities; diverse, walkable, affordable. They are also centrally located such that any job wouldn't be all that much of a commute and if you work in the suburbs it's a reverse commute with minimal traffic.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,039,142 times
You will not need to consider being an interracial couple as an issue impacting your decision on where to live in the Twin Cities. The posters who say no one will care absolutely correct, and if anyone walks up to you in the grocery store, it for sure won't be for that. (But after you have your baby, you will probably get lots of people walking up to you to tell you how cute he or she is.)

Good luck on your move, it is a nice place to live. People tend to be open-minded, mind their own business, and like you for who you are.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,328 times
Default You will love it- minus January

Hi! I've lived in the Twin Cities for 40 years. Just like everyone else has mentioned, it is a generally friendly, welcoming, safe place to live. I really liked the first suggestion of Roseville. It is a really nice area near the college and is also a major college town itself. With parts of the U of M near by along with SEVERAL private colleges, there are many students around. The school district has a good reputation and Rosedale Center is really, really nice with many opportunities for retail work. There is a really nice park/zoo there called Como Park as well as the state fair grounds. Affordable living should be easy to come by as Roseville is on the fringe of St. Paul. If you want to get out of the hustle and bustle, head a little farther east to White Bear Lake. (I had to throw in a plug for my hometown). It is cute, quaint and very welcoming with more affordability on the south side of the city.

Best wishes!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:50 PM

160 posts, read 455,024 times
Probably obvious, but stay out of the inner city, it's safer in the suburbs. Maple Grove and Plymouth are a few nice places that are on major freeways to downtown Minneapolis. Don't know much about St. Paul area. I live in the NW Suburbs 30 miles out of downtown. It's beautiful out here.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:16 AM

358 posts, read 446,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
Probably obvious, but stay out of the inner city, it's safer in the suburbs. Maple Grove and Plymouth are a few nice places that are on major freeways to downtown Minneapolis. Don't know much about St. Paul area. I live in the NW Suburbs 30 miles out of downtown. It's beautiful out here.
Whoa there llratke, your ignorance of the "inner city" is showing. There are vast areas that are perfectly safe with fine homes, friendly people, and tree shaded sidewalks with people walking their dogs or returning from the neighborhood hardware store.

I grew up in a small rural Minnesota town and can honestly say I haven't found anyplace in the metropolitan area that more closely resembles that community feeling than the "inner city" of where I live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul