Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 21,975 times

Advertisements

I am not lashing out. I am stating my opinion. I think the advice given to the OP was not helpful and was belittling. I know all about Jacob Wetterling as I grew up in Minneapolis. I brought it up as it shows that abductions can happen anywhere, not to mention all the other bad things that happen everyday that I want to protect my child from. I believe the state is behind the times with their bus policy. I hope it doesn't take an abduction to change that.

I don't understand the double standard that kids have to be signed out of school or signed out to a different bus stop, but dropped off blindly to a bus stop with no guardian or in the OPs case the wrong one and then drive off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purjed View Post
I am not lashing out. I am stating my opinion. I think the advice given to the OP was not helpful and was belittling. I know all about Jacob Wetterling as I grew up in Minneapolis. I brought it up as it shows that abductions can happen anywhere, not to mention all the other bad things that happen everyday that I want to protect my child from. I believe the state is behind the times with their bus policy. I hope it doesn't take an abduction to change that.

I don't understand the double standard that kids have to be signed out of school or signed out to a different bus stop, but dropped off blindly to a bus stop with no guardian or in the OPs case the wrong one and then drive off.
You find the advice unhelpful and belittling but the reality is that the bus policy exists and the OP needs to find a solution that works now. We offered advice on how to deal with it because many of us have. Saying the policy sucks doesn't help much. Sure, we can advise to take on the system but is that really going to offer much help in the immediate future?

Last edited by Kebinminn; 09-08-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,200 times
Quote:

If you truly want the policy changed, this is not the place to get it done. That would be at your local school board meeting. And again, because a policy doesn't require a child to be met by a parent doesn't mean it forbids it either. Some of us feel comfortable with letting our kids get home from the bus on their own. If that doesn't include you, then make your own choice on how to handle it.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
There is also the option of a better school bus policy.
Given that most drivers handle multiple routes per day, how exactly does one do that?

Do they have a list that matches tags on the kids? How could a driver possibly enforce such a thing?

Where on earth have you lived that such a draconian policy is necessary? You don't even find that here in Atlanta, and Atlanta is a LOT less safe (potentially) than the Twin Cities. Fortunately, school kid abductions from bus stops don't seem to happen a lot here, either.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 09-08-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 21,975 times
I hope the OP will try and get the policy changed in their district. I would. It is pretty simple to enforce and is standard in many places such as upstate New York, New Jersey, CT, NC to name a few. The younger kids simply have a luggage tag on their bag with their stop that gets checked as they depart. If there is no guardian they call the cell. Guardians can wave from a door if it is in sight. Wait two minutes and move on. Kid goes back to the school and the parent gets charged a fee. Usually you get a couple of freebies cause hey crap happens.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
I hope the OP will try and get the policy changed in their district. I would. It is pretty simple to enforce and is standard in many places such as upstate New York, New Jersey, CT, NC to name a few. The younger kids simply have a luggage tag on their bag with their stop that gets checked as they depart. If there is no guardian they call the cell. Guardians can wave from a door if it is in sight. Wait two minutes and move on. Kid goes back to the school and the parent gets charged a fee. Usually you get a couple of freebies cause hey crap happens.
Interesting. OK. That seems fairly simple. All an abductor has to do is show up and wave at the driver, and they get a free kid. I'm hoping the person at the stop has to know something like the number on the tag or something similar, or maybe the tag has a picture?

Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 AM

319 posts, read 528,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interesting. OK. That seems fairly simple. All an abductor has to do is show up and wave at the driver, and they get a free kid. I'm hoping the person at the stop has to know something like the number on the tag or something similar, or maybe the tag has a picture?
The policy is just like most airport security policies. It's not there to make you safer; it's there to make some people feel safer.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
One nice thing about the USA is that we can often chose what we want and don't want to do. If you want to pick your child up at the bus stop, no one is stopping you. For those of us that choose to let our children learn to be independent, we can do that too. Why do you need a "law" or a "rule" to do that?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Pick your kids up if you are paranoid. I had no problem getting to and from the bus stop without my parents every day from Kindergarten through High School. Millions of other kids in MN have done the same over the years.

My parents were still at work for at least another hour or two after I returned home every day, even in Elementary School. I walked from the bus, unlocked the door, grabbed a snack, and watched cartoons until they were home from work.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
You don't live in that place. You just think you do. You never know who is driving down the street.
Children are twice as likely to die of the flu than be kidnapped by a stranger

Children are 2.5 times more likely to be struck by lightning than be kidnapped by a stranger

Children are 4 times more likely to die of heart disease than be kidnapped by a stranger

Children are 17 times more likely to commit suicide than be kidnapped by a stranger

Children are 100 times more likely to die because of an accidental death than be kidnapped by a stranger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul