Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,427,247 times

Advertisements

On the plus side, I think a lot of houses today are closer to square and level than the ones built in the 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are a lot of 20 year old houses around us and none of them are falling apart . We had more issues with our 1920's Craftsman house than our 1995 "new' house....
But you KNOW that doesn't debunk his point.....AT ALL. The craftsmanship of construction has gone downhill significantly since the turn of the century (20th), and that's really not very debatable. While your home may still be upright, what will it look like when it's 90 years old?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,485,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There are a lot of 20 year old houses around us and none of them are falling apart . We had more issues with our 1920's Craftsman house than our 1995 "new' house....
"Falling apart" may be an overstatement. But for sure when we looked at houses, we looked at some built in the 50's, the sellers always wanted more, and they just looked shabby and dated. The older ones had had work done over the years. As to houses built in the 80's and 90's, we never walked through any of those. They tend overwhelmingly to be suburban, and that never interested us.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
On the plus side, I think a lot of houses today are closer to square and level than the ones built in the 20s.
Sure, but I've always thought that tilting floors and similar things added a certain personality to an older house.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 AM

Wait till frost heave starts to work on those houses. The GROUND doesn't stay level. The real danger of houses built today is that their prices are inflated and could quite possible drop below what is owed. My old house cost little enough that I got huge equity on it. Don't have crippling payments either. Partly because the crazy bank handed us a budget that we automatically distrusted and cut it in half. We bought seriously below what our household income could "afford". So our payments are easy to handle. Whatever you might say good about a newer house, if it becomes a millstone, I have a hard time seeing the point. An expensive house doesn't shelter any better than a cheap house that is sound.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Wait till frost heave starts to work on those houses. The GROUND doesn't stay level. The real danger of houses built today is that their prices are inflated and could quite possible drop below what is owed. My old house cost little enough that I got huge equity on it. Don't have crippling payments either. Partly because the crazy bank handed us a budget that we automatically distrusted and cut it in half. We bought seriously below what our household income could "afford". So our payments are easy to handle. Whatever you might say good about a newer house, if it becomes a millstone, I have a hard time seeing the point. An expensive house doesn't shelter any better than a cheap house that is sound.
So you automatically assume people living in larger houses don't know this? You do realize that there are people that make more money than you do, right? We've never owned a house where our house payment was more than 1/4 of our TAKE HOME pay. Sure, we qualified for a heck of a lot more too, but we like to do silly stuff like eat.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM

391 posts, read 660,732 times
I'm not trying to say that all new homes are poorly built, and there are a lot a advantages to new construction. Shoddy construction by big builders might be more common out west than here, where the harsher climate may dictate heavier building standards.

Old houses need updated wiring, plumbing, heating, etc. Old houses ARE quirky, but that's part of the character everyone talks about.

However, I think that modern "cookie cutter" houses, with maximum square footage on tiny lots, will suffer by comparison over time. Likewise I don't see a McMansion revival in the future, but maybe they said the same thing about row houses, victorians and bungalows back in the day!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 AM

Yeh, McMansions are a fad. A product of desire to move closer to stuff, of city history where small houses were built on minimum lots and are later torn down and replaced with new houses at a time when money is very very cheap. The people building the houses want max return on t heir real estate investment which they hope to get by building an oversize house on a minimum lot. The meltdown has already done quite a bit to interrupt that fad.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
But now you are automatically conflating newer houses with more expensive houses, which isn't necessarily true. A 2,000 sf house built in 1920 in St. Paul will cost far more than a 2,000 sf house built in Blaine in 1995.

And, as GG said, you aren't the only one who has figured out not to buy more than you can afford. I punched our financials into an online estimator for "how much can you afford" and the amount it kicked back was 3X higher than what I would use as a ceiling when we start looking in a few months.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sure, but I've always thought that tilting floors and similar things added a certain personality to an older house.
Well, that is true. A slight inconvenience when you want to remodel and you realize your T-squares are useless for cutting sheetrock, and you have to hand-cut your new closet doors to accommodate the slope, but such is the price you have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul