Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 AM

29 posts, read 61,605 times

Advertisements

I've seen some videos on youtube and I'm a bit concerned about moving there because of it. Someone who used to live in MN said its getting worse then it used to be. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
There really isn't any flooding in Minneapolis yet. It is all in the northern part of the state but as the water travels down the various rivers, the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers will rise. I don't think any major flooding is expected though.

The Northeastern part of the state is a mess, roads washed out, towns/property flooded. It's bad up there.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,747 times
Flooding in Minneapolis is very rare. There have been incidents in the past of major flash flooding in various parts of the city during very large storms but that has largely been eliminated due to a series of drainage projects over the last decade, particularly some serious work that was done on 35W under the UPA program in 2009. The Mississippi has tall bluffs through most of Minneapolis and is very very well controlled by the corps north of the confluence with the Minnesota. Lowertown Saint Paul and some suburbs downstream have had flooding in the past, but realistically the vast majority of the flooding in the Twin Cities is on traditional floodplains that are primarily parkland, for that reason.

In short: 99+% of the Twin Cities has nothing to worry about.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
I read that there was a flood that affected Minneapolis in the spring of 1965, but there are only 490 houses in the city that sit in the 100 year flood plain, so you have almost nothing to worry about. That said, there are areas in the Twin Cities, including Minneapolis, that are near creeks etc., and have the potential for flooding. The area that seem to have a tendency to flood is near the St. Paul airport in the spring. You can look at the FEMA flood maps here.

https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stor...0001&langId=-1

You an get more info from the city of Minmeapolis here.

Flood Information - City of Minneapolis

And, no, it is not worse than it used to be. People say that about all sorts of things.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
In general flooding isn't much of an issue but there are some localized spots. The area around 22nd and Lyndale/Garfield has a flash flood about every other year when it rains hard. Don't park on that block if there are big thunderstorms comming, I lost a car that way.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Wink update on Minnesota

Although you didn't say where you were thinking of moving (what city) I am a person who had lived in Minneota for 36 years and in the twin cities area.(St.Paul-Minneapls) and I love it here. There is some flooding in Duluth which is about 90 miles from here, but this area has been beautiful this summer. We've only had a few days of 90 degrees or over, like 92, 93 but nothing worse. But there has been a lot of rain this year. As far as the weather getting worse, well isn't the whole United States getting worse?Well, the whole world is getting more severe weather. I'll say one thing and it's about the winters, they are cold. And the year before last, we had a alot of snow, but it's not anything like the NE, inparticuliarly Syracuse or Buffalo N.Y. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul