Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM

267 posts, read 620,812 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a random poster not really enjoying it much in KC area where I grew up. I eventually want to move, Dallas is #1 on my list, but I'm also throwing around other ideas, such as Minnesota. I work in IT, btw.

As I am single, and not looking to be married any time soon, is there a good singles scene in MSP? Are people overall friendly? I find other KC people to be either shy or downright hostile if you try to talk to them.

I'm sure climate is an obvious issue for either MSP or Dallas, and I'm thinking that I would want a climate that is either cold most of the time, or that never has a winter. KC is too bipolar and flaky as far as both the weather and the people go. Obviously heat and cold have their advantages, like in the cold I love to chill, drink, and read cool things, and make love. Heat, go out and party!

Things to do? Is the quality of things like restaurants, concert venues, bars, nightlife good compared to other cities? I've been to Dallas, and that stuff seems world class, KC sucks by comparison. How does MSP fare in these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM

110 posts, read 262,395 times
I lived in a suburb of Kansas City, Lee's Summit to be exact. So I'm an expert on KC (I'm NOT!).

Anyway, here we go...weather..between Dallas and Minnesota you have the same situation in the exact opposite. It's really hot and humid for a lot longer than in KC. Minnesota its a lot colder for a lot longer than KC. It gets cold in Minnesota--but you get used to it. The bad thing is that it lasts for SOO long. Usually by March and April people get really sick of it. You will hear the same thing about the heat in Texas as well. Aside from the humid wet summers - KC's climate is pretty perfect. In fact this year we had your weather!

As far as social scene goes - we have a rampant independent art and music scene. The era of Prince leading a musical revolution in Minneapolis--it never left; he was just replaced with people who don't sell any music.

In KC there is a strong party scene that is more apparent because it goes against the Christian masses---which is very strong down there. Minneapolis is more progressive and hence there really isn't anything to "rebel" against. There is a party scene here--but its much smaller and harder to find. The bars and clubs will be similar to KC but they are smaller and fewer. You'll find a larger gay club scene that diminishes the straight scene slighty.

As far as your "bipolar" statement..you would think the same thing in Minneapolis. Long winters--people get drained. Once the temperature gets nice (read 50 degrees); there is a new energy that is really high throughout the duration of nice weather. Minnesotans are flaky too...it's called Minnesota Nice...Texans are pretty "real" in comparison. Very polite..but politely unfriendly if they don't like you.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,053,520 times
People are friendly but also shy in Minneapolis. The singles scene can be a challenge. People are definitely looking for long term relationships and don't go on a lot of casual dates. Whereas in say, Manhattan a guy can get a lot of dates just because women want to go out. There's a lot of local music (good and bad) and about a dozen good bars. There's a few good clubs but there are much better club scenes elsewhere. I don't know much about Dallas, but since there's more money there I would guess there are more fancy clubs and expensive restaurants. There's some of that in MN, but for the most part it's a lot more low key.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,504,548 times
From the way I see people dress on the light rail, there must be some really good parties in downtown Minneapolis. I just won't know for sure because I've never gravitated to a party scene. But I'm quite confident that anyone who makes that an important value can do just fine. I think social success depends more on how friendly and outgoing a person is. And don't go into it with any expectation but sharing a good time. My social life changed radically when I started going out with that frame of mind. If you MUST find a life partner or at least some casual sex, well, good luck. That kills a lot of good times.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM

41 posts, read 141,832 times
LOL I lived in KC and the twin cities. I would say KC people are a little less standoffish, but both places have more bad than good. I would take Dallas. More transients, not expensive and definitely better weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul