Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 AM

413 posts, read 790,647 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone on here moved to the Twin Cities from the Seattle area. How are these two metro areas similar? How are they different? What was your experience like? Are you glad you made the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
cl4

36 posts, read 58,363 times
We moved here after living in Seattle for almost 6 years and like it. In Seattle we lived in Fremont with 2 toddlers. In Minneapolis, we have lived in East Isles near Lake of the Isles and in Seward near the river. Both are great. The Uptown area resembles Fremont or Ballard. Seward is more like Greenwood or the nicer areas of Columbia city.

As far as similarities or differences:

-both cities are progressive but Seattle is more liberal. Also the Twin Cities overall feel more dominated by their suburbs than Seattle.

-both cities have good bike commuting infrastructure and good bus service. Traffic overall is comparable but there aren't horrible choke points like the 520 bridge.

-both cities have a good art/culture scene but Seattle feels younger and more educated overall.

-Schools are better in Minneapolis. We have neighborhood schools so you can live in some charming close in neighborhoods and have a guaranteed world class school. At least when we left this wasn't true in Seattle.

-Minneapolis is substantially less entrepreneurial and tech dominated. There aren't many startups and tech people are more likely to work in corporate jobs than pure play tech jobs.

-Seattle is a national talent magnet while Minneapolis pulls in talent from mostly the upper midwest.

-Seattle has better dining options and is less chain dominated. Minneapolis has great mid to high range dining but the low end is weaker overall. There are plenty of good places but the vibe is different. It always saddens me to go to Chipotle in Uptown instead of a local Mission burrito place.

-Minneapolis is beautiful with the lakes and river but can't really compare to Seattle with the lakes, sound and Cascades.

-Housing is way cheaper in Minneapolis.

Overall I think Seattle is a world class city and Minneapolis is a great regional city. For us, Minneapolis had MUCH better professional opportunities so that made it an easy decision. Minneapolis is a great place but there are tradeoffs.

Let me know if you have other questions.

-chris

Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 AM

442 posts, read 540,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl4 View Post
We moved here after living in Seattle for almost 6 years and like it. In Seattle we lived in Fremont with 2 toddlers. In Minneapolis, we have lived in East Isles near Lake of the Isles and in Seward near the river. Both are great. The Uptown area resembles Fremont or Ballard. Seward is more like Greenwood or the nicer areas of Columbia city.

-both cities are progressive but Seattle is more liberal. Also the Twin Cities overall feel more dominated by their suburbs than Seattle.
I'm familiar with both cities and I'll agree with this... HOWEVER, many of the suburbs are pretty urban.

Quote:
-both cities have good bike commuting infrastructure and good bus service. Traffic overall is comparable but there aren't horrible choke points like the 520 bridge.
Minneapolis traffic is a breeze if you're used to Seattle, not only that but biking in Minneapolis is far easier (to me) due to the topography. Far fewer steep hills. More people bike in MSP.

Quote:
-both cities have a good art/culture scene but Seattle feels younger and more educated overall.
Younger, yes. More educated? I'd say it's a tie. Both are home to a Public Ivy but UW is more "international" mainly due to its traditions of hosting Asian students en masse. UMN and UW are on the same level. Local private schools are comparable.

Quote:
-Schools are better in Minneapolis. We have neighborhood schools so you can live in some charming close in neighborhoods and have a guaranteed world class school. At least when we left this wasn't true in Seattle.
Very true. Minneapolis has great public schools for the most part.
Quote:
-Minneapolis is substantially less entrepreneurial and tech dominated. There aren't many startups and tech people are more likely to work in corporate jobs than pure play tech jobs.
That's true, but also the product of being an older city with so many Fortune 500 companies setting their roots up there. Minneapolis has a diverse economy and those "play tech" jobs CAN be found, they're just less common!
Quote:
-Seattle is a national talent magnet while Minneapolis pulls in talent from mostly the upper midwest.
I disagree! Minneapolis has really come to the forefront of attracting in top talent. MSP, Seattle and Portland all do well when considering the traditional Richard-Florida-style creative class. It's just a slow, steady growth in MSP because many people don't come because of the weather (I believe that's a good thing!)
Quote:
-Seattle has better dining options and is less chain dominated. Minneapolis has great mid to high range dining but the low end is weaker overall. There are plenty of good places but the vibe is different. It always saddens me to go to Chipotle in Uptown instead of a local Mission burrito place.
I also disagree with this. Yes, there are many chains, but you're missing out on plenty of low end dining options, clearly. From Matt's Bar to the Cuban shops on Lake, the Uptown diner, etc. there is plenty in almost every style. Even authentic Mexican exists! You just have to look a little harder than in Seattle. Of course you won't find much in the way of burritos, though, as you're nowhere near San Fran :P That's like asking for Chicago style pizza in Juarez! One could make the same argument that dining in Seattle is weak due to the lack of Rakfisk. But in all reality, both cities have amazing low end dining options, they just tend to reflect the region they're in.
Quote:
-Minneapolis is beautiful with the lakes and river but can't really compare to Seattle with the lakes, sound and Cascades.
Depends on what you're into, but Seattle is fldjksljfdljcking gorgeous. Minneapolis, though, is FAR cleaner and is in proximity to Lake Superior, Voyageurs, the Great Plains, and several other beautiful natural elements.
Quote:
That's for sure! I'm expecting to pay 215, after splitting with my girlfriend, a month.
Quote:
Overall I think Seattle is a world class city and Minneapolis is a great regional city. For us, Minneapolis had MUCH better professional opportunities so that made it an easy decision. Minneapolis is a great place but there are tradeoffs.
Seattle is more international but not the single keystone to the region as a whole. Portland, Spokane and Eugene dilute that influence along with Boise, Vancouver, etc.. In fact, I'd say Vancouver is much more a world class city while Seattle is a regional center for its corner.... also VERY international though.
For the upper midwest? It's CENTERED around Minneapolis. There's a saying in the cities: Party Minneapolis, Marry St. Paul, I feel it's the same deal with Seattle and MSP. Seattle is a great place to be as a college student, but growing older it would be much more advantageous to be in MSP. Minneapolis is less international but still is host to some VERY large concentrations of immigrants. Again, I'm guessing the fact many migrants don't come is due to the weather.

It's a well kept secret.

If you come, welcome! Just keep your eyes, mind, and heart open and you'll be able to find happiness. Don't expect quality Pho, but at least we're nice.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM

391 posts, read 660,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Don't expect quality Pho, but at least we're nice.
Never spent time in Seattle, but there's some pretty good Pho in St. Paul

Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
Never spent time in Seattle, but there's some pretty good Pho in St. Paul
Really?!?!?!?! Where? I've not even been able to FIND any. :O

jklsdjklsdfjkldjkl;dfjkdfsjk;dfjkl;jk;jk;jk;djkl;d jkdflkldkfdjkl DDD

Yeah. Pho's awesome.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 PM

391 posts, read 660,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Really?!?!?!?! Where? I've not even been able to FIND any. :O

jklsdjklsdfjkldjkl;dfjkdfsjk;dfjkl;jk;jk;jk;djkl;d jkdflkldkfdjkl DDD

Yeah. Pho's awesome.
Frogtown - East University between Lexington Pkwy and the capitol. We go to Ngon Bistro, but there are at least a half dozen places in that area alone.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVegas View Post
Frogtown - East University between Lexington Pkwy and the capitol. We go to Ngon Bistro, but there are at least a half dozen places in that area alone.
I've never been to that part of town... but I know where I'm going for lunch when I get into town on the 3rd

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM

11 posts, read 25,780 times
Getting off-topic, but I'll indulge:

I have yet to try this Pho myself but I hear good things about some places along Nicollet Ave's "Eat Street" Section. I know that there are several well known places in the vicinity of Nicollet & 26th. Check the Google reviews before you try, since I can't personally vouch for any of them.

I'm sure that section of University Ave in St. Paul is great too. There are plenty of asian restaurants (mostly Vietnamese) between Lexington and Rice Street.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,242,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_citizen View Post
Getting off-topic, but I'll indulge:

I have yet to try this Pho myself but I hear good things about some places along Nicollet Ave's "Eat Street" Section. I know that there are several well known places in the vicinity of Nicollet & 26th. Check the Google reviews before you try, since I can't personally vouch for any of them.

I'm sure that section of University Ave in St. Paul is great too. There are plenty of asian restaurants (mostly Vietnamese) between Lexington and Rice Street.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but I love the place on 25th and Nicollet, on the northwest corner. YUM.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM

989 posts, read 2,965,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl4 View Post

Let me know if you have other questions.

-chris
This is a very good post. I agree with all the points made. Obviously the weather is a lot different too. For me personally the jobs in Minneapolis pay about the same as the would in Seattle, so cost of living is a major factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul