Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 PM

23 posts, read 52,663 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and from Philly. I'm relocating to Minneapolis in December or January and I need some guidance on where me and my girlfriend should live. Probably looking to stay within a $1200-1500ish budget rent wise.

We are into electronic music (house) but our living situation doesnt necessarily have to reflect that. We want to be in the city (no suburbs) as I'll be working downtown and we want to be where there is some action...bars/restaurants/clubs, etc. Any suggestions? From what I gather so far, Uptown is where we should be. Would be amazing if anyone can even recommend any complexes they know are good.

Are cabs expensive?

Also, is Epic the best club for house music? Are there any other good spots?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by kurzie23; 10-11-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM

332 posts, read 826,040 times
Uptown is nice but if you like house music downtown would be better for you. Not too much of a dance scene in uptown. But if you like to walk, jog, go to the beach, canoe, sail, kite surf, rollerblade living in uptown is nice because of Lake Calhoun (and trails connecting to all of the other lakes). Laurel Village are nice downtown for apartments. There are also some great lofts downtown that would be in your price range as well. Can you come check out these areas before you move?

Oh should add First Ave is great for music and The Lounge has good house music as well. Epic is a fun spot. They have a nice outdoor area. It's very nice inside but not a lot of seating so go later when you are ready to dance.

Last edited by danielle_pal; 10-11-2011 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

23 posts, read 52,663 times
Thanks! Yeah I'm gonna take a trip up there in November to check it out.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 AM

20 posts, read 32,183 times
I would check out Saint Louis Park. Close to Uptown, close to Downtown, and your money will go a lot further there. The shops at West End are in St Louis Park, definitely up and coming.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,116,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzie23 View Post
I'm 24 and from Philly. I'm relocating to Minneapolis in December or January and I need some guidance on where me and my girlfriend should live. Probably looking to stay within a $1200-1500ish budget rent wise.

We are into electronic music (house) but our living situation doesnt necessarily have to reflect that. We want to be in the city (no suburbs) as I'll be working downtown and we want to be where there is some action...bars/restaurants/clubs, etc. Any suggestions? From what I gather so far, Uptown is where we should be. Would be amazing if anyone can even recommend any complexes they know are good.

Are cabs expensive?

Also, is Epic the best club for house music? Are there any other good spots?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Have you considered Cedar-Riverside? There are probably about a dozen bars there or in walking distance that have live music (Triple Rock comes to mind). I've spent many a night on the dance floor at Triple Rock with local dj's spinning records...much of it electronic. It's within a mile of downtown, and within probably about a mile of both the East and West Banks of the U of M, which is crawling with students and has even more bars. Cedar-Riverside is probably cheaper than Uptown, too...

Also, why do you need to take cabs? Public transportation will get you anywhere if you're in the city.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:02 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,049,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Have you considered Cedar-Riverside? There are probably about a dozen bars there or in walking distance that have live music (Triple Rock comes to mind). I've spent many a night on the dance floor at Triple Rock with local dj's spinning records...much of it electronic. It's within a mile of downtown, and within probably about a mile of both the East and West Banks of the U of M, which is crawling with students and has even more bars. Cedar-Riverside is probably cheaper than Uptown, too...

Also, why do you need to take cabs? Public transportation will get you anywhere if you're in the city.
Cabs can be important if you're out late and not within easy walking distance of your apartment/house. Bar close is at 2 am, but most buses have really stopped running by then. Those that haven't are pretty much all at a 1-hour hour interval. I've been in the bind before where I was at a concert and thanks to being new to the city got a bit confused on where to get on the bus. By the time I figured it all out, I had just missed the bus I needed and was forced to wait a very chilly hour and a half (it was the bar close 16 bus, which meant it was running a bit late on top of the huge interval).

Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 121,070 times
The Varsity Theater is an awesome place to hear some good music, the interior has to be experienced. One of the best places in town in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,116,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Cabs can be important if you're out late and not within easy walking distance of your apartment/house. Bar close is at 2 am, but most buses have really stopped running by then. Those that haven't are pretty much all at a 1-hour hour interval. I've been in the bind before where I was at a concert and thanks to being new to the city got a bit confused on where to get on the bus. By the time I figured it all out, I had just missed the bus I needed and was forced to wait a very chilly hour and a half (it was the bar close 16 bus, which meant it was running a bit late on top of the huge interval).
I inferred that much, but honestly, living in Pittsburgh now, the buses in MSP are much more consistent and run a lot later than they do in many other places. People dog metro transit a lot, but they do a nice job-- I was in that exact same bind many times in the Twin Cities, but also got home (or darn close to it) via public transportation...

If you're going out downtown, that's even more true...

Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM

628 posts, read 1,446,441 times
Minneapolis doesn't really have much to offer for electronic music. Epic and a few other random places have shows that you would be into. My roommate is an electronic producer and he would agree that there isn't much here on that front. A lot of dubstep fans though (puke). With that budget, I would rent a loft somewhere in the warehouse district. You can light rail/bus to the south side if you had the urge.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,049,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I inferred that much, but honestly, living in Pittsburgh now, the buses in MSP are much more consistent and run a lot later than they do in many other places. People dog metro transit a lot, but they do a nice job-- I was in that exact same bind many times in the Twin Cities, but also got home (or darn close to it) via public transportation...

If you're going out downtown, that's even more true...
I actually give Metro Transit props for doing a pretty decent job, especially during the day. Their nighttime frequency leaves a bit to be desired however.

Cabs could also be important if you live downtown and want to do a bit more shopping (getting a larger stock of groceries). I worked at the Nicollet Mall Target and knew many people who elected to do this instead of taking the bus back.

That said, I wouldn't want to rely on a cab full-time (and, in fact, I've had troubles with them around the bar-close time when everyone is trying to get one...we ended up taking the bus on one such occasion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul