Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,279 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm 22 and recently accepted a job offer in Mounds View. What are good, safe places around Mounds View or Minneapolis that I could rent an apartment in? My budget is about $1000. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 PM

332 posts, read 822,338 times
Gosh I guess it depends on your personality and what you like to do for fun. If you like to go out to bars and dance I would live downtown Minneapolis. If you are more of a suburban girl I would say Blaine.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
Gosh I guess it depends on your personality and what you like to do for fun. If you like to go out to bars and dance I would live downtown Minneapolis. If you are more of a suburban girl I would say Blaine.
Pretty much this.

I'd recommend Northeast Minneapolis if you like to go out a lot. Otherwise right in the Mounds View area with your budget you can find a nice place to live with some decent amenities.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 AM

988 posts, read 1,829,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Pretty much this.

I'd recommend Northeast Minneapolis if you like to go out a lot. Otherwise right in the Mounds View area with your budget you can find a nice place to live with some decent amenities.
I think I could echo this. Northeast has some decent neighborhoods (though, in general, NE trends slightly more blue-collar/industrial - though with some local music/art scene). NE would leave a fairly easy drive to Mounds View, yet again close enough to the city for going out.

That said, there is the argument that you should think about where you will spend the most time. If you're only going to go out on weekends (whatever 2 days constitute "your" weekend), then it might make more sense to live closer to Mounds View and work - and then just make a little further drive to going out. Obviously, the converse also rings true - if you're thinking you want to be very social several nights, than pick a place in the middle or closer to where you think you'll socialize.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM

687 posts, read 1,256,392 times
You're going to find safety pretty much anywhere that's adjacent to Mounds View. Maybe some small pockets here and there of higher vandalism and such, but there's nowhere that I can think of that I'd be concerned going out alone at night (I'd still be a bit aware, but I'd do that anywhere). If you are super concerned about safety, I'd guess that Shoreview and Arden Hills are slightly safer than the rest of the area.

Northeast Minneapolis seems to one of safer parts of Minneapolis proper. Probably more crime than the areas around Mounds View, but is seems less crime than North Minneapolis or south Minneapolis.

Also, you can find some nightlife near/in Mounds View (not as much as in Minneapolis though). There are a few bars along County 10. If you're willing to go a few miles you'd probably find half a dozen bands playing on a weekend night. There's also a stretch of Central in Blaine that has a concentration of bar/restaurants (Tavern, Wild Bills, Ole Piper, Brick's, the Club, Acapulco, a VFW, Be-Bop, there's also a Chili's). Some of them are packed on weekends with a largely 20 something crowd. I don't think you'd find any live music there though.

The other consideration I'd think about is if you want to be near any sort of trails/nature areas. There's some really nice stuff in that area around Mounds View (the various Rice Creek parks, Long Lake, Spring Brook, etc.).

The one concern I'd have with Blaine is that traffic on Central can be pretty bad. There is a project to time the stoplights better going on this fall, so maybe that will improve some. But, I'd recommend having a possible route to work that doesn't rely on Central. Or taking into account an additional few minutes more of commute than you might guess without traffic.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,279 times
Thank you all for your response! I stayed in downtown Minneapolis on a Thursday night when I interviewed and it seemed to be pretty loud throughout the night. So I would definitely prefer to live in a quieter area with parks/trails nearby but something that is relatively close to the city as well.

Also, are there any newer apartments that you recommend around the Shoreview/Mounds View area? It seems that the nicer condos/lofts are all downtown and mostly all of the apartments elsewhere are a lot older.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost! View Post
Thank you all for your response! I stayed in downtown Minneapolis on a Thursday night when I interviewed and it seemed to be pretty loud throughout the night. So I would definitely prefer to live in a quieter area with parks/trails nearby but something that is relatively close to the city as well.

Also, are there any newer apartments that you recommend around the Shoreview/Mounds View area? It seems that the nicer condos/lofts are all downtown and mostly all of the apartments elsewhere are a lot older.
Lakewood Apartments in Lino Lakes (35W and Lake Drive). It would be close to Rice Creek Chain of Lakes park, which is a huge park (maybe largest in metro?).

There's also some townhomes (maybe apartments?) in Circle Pines, New Brighton, and Blaine that are rental and built since 2000.

I don't know much about these places in particular, so I wouldn't say I recommend them. But, they are newer.

You might try and rent out a townhome/condo from a single owner as well.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,057 times
Default Moving to Minnesota from Albany NY

Spouse got a job in Mounds View area. We are young 40 yr old couple. No children. One Cat. Would like quiet area but near restaurants, shopping and entertaiment (not clubs), parks, etc.

What areas are good near the area of Mounds View. Would prefer new homes.

Also, need recommendation on Pet Friendly Corporate Housing since we would like to look at the areas before purchasing a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul