Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,429,681 times

Advertisements

At some point before I move, I'm going to end up asking about every neighborhood, suburb, and exburb in the TC area. This week's subject is Anoka. Anyone spend much time there, or live there? Is it pretty developer-driven, suburbany, new-and-shiny, or are there some neighborhoods that are a bit older and more mature? From looking around online, it seems like its far enough out that its got a bit of the small-town vibe, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. Looks like there is a weekly concert series, which is always good, and some sort of theatre downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

54 posts, read 113,098 times
I like Anoka. I know it's technically a suburb, but I don't really get that feeling when I've been there. It feels like a small town that stands alone. They have a pretty nice downtown filled with mom and pop stores, places to shop, eat etc. It definitely has a lot more character and charm than a lot of the nearby suburbs IE Coon Rapids, Blaine etc.

The pictures at the link below should give you an idea of what its like. Some quality pics in there.

Anoka, Minnesota - SkyscraperCity

Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvc View Post
I like Anoka. I know it's technically a suburb, but I don't really get that feeling when I've been there. It feels like a small town that stands alone. They have a pretty nice downtown filled with mom and pop stores, places to shop, eat etc. It definitely has a lot more character and charm than a lot of the nearby suburbs IE Coon Rapids, Blaine etc.

The pictures at the link below should give you an idea of what its like. Some quality pics in there.

Anoka, Minnesota - SkyscraperCity
Hey thanks, thats great! That's the feeling I got from pictures and I know I've driven up highway 10 thinking "this suburb feels like a small lakes country town", so that may have been Anoka.

Fun pictures, too, I've been looking for something like that, so thanks for pointing them out. Can't wait to visit in a few weeks!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM

302 posts, read 728,595 times
I like Anoka too. Has a little bit of a Stillwater vibe. Lots of antique stores, gift shops, cafes and bars (some allegedly haunted...perfect for Anoka's title as "Halloween Capital"). Definitely has more character and charm and history (probably due to it's location near the rivers) than lots of other Twin City suburbs.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,760,943 times
Great stuff! I've never been to Anoka, it's not at all what I imagined. It looks like Stillwater, I was thinking Coon Rapids/Fridley/Blaine

Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Well, I am officially here in Anoka, now! Based on my first 24 hrs living here, here are my thoughts:

-Easy little town to get around. And, as much as I wouldn't usually admit to liking giant commercial developments, I have to admit its nice to know that virtually anything I'd actually need to buy is right down the road in the Riverdale Village shopping area.

-The rivers will be fun to explore. I drove around looking for parks and such and found some beautiful little parks along the Rum and Mississippi rivers. I also think I need to buy a license and learn how to fish (except of course the govt shut down as I moved to town, can I still buy a license?).

-A little disappointed in the lack of sidewalks and trails in key places. In particular, I wish there was a safer-feeling way to bike or push a stroller down main, across Round Lake Blvd to Riverdale Village if we want to go for ice cream. On the other hand, downtown is only a little further away and has small streets and sidewalks all the way, I think.

-Looking forward to exploring downtown a bit more...especially the truffle place!

-Drove into Chamlin today and discover Elm Creek Park Reserve. Wow, looks awesome, and CAN NOT WAIT to go back and explore. Looks like it is awesome in the winter, too!

Oh, and my house didn't blow down in the storms tonight (yet)

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 113,098 times
Where'd you move from just out of curiosity?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvc View Post
Where'd you move from just out of curiosity?
From Iowa City, which is a tough town to compete against, so I'm trying to come in with an open mind.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 12,255 times
Default Han's Bakery

I used to live in Anoka and am moving back. Do they still have
Han's Bakery? mmmm

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntime1 View Post
I used to live in Anoka and am moving back. Do they still have
Han's Bakery? mmmm
I've driven by there a few times and it appears to be closed down. Too bad, because I LOVE a good home-town bakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul