Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times

Advertisements

Why are you so set with the south metro while working in the far north metro?
Drives would be disastorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM

37 posts, read 133,595 times
The job in St.Francis I will not be taking. Being as we have secured a place to live Prior Lake, will be looking for places closer to home. The job in St.Francis wasn't a definite, we , at the point I had posted my question about were still up in there air as far as where we would be residing. But, Prior Lake is it for now, at least for a year, until we decide where would like to buy. Which, Apple Valley seems to be where we would like to be, at some point. Possibley Eden Prarie.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post
The job in St.Francis I will not be taking. Being as we have secured a place to live Prior Lake, will be looking for places closer to home. The job in St.Francis wasn't a definite, we , at the point I had posted my question about were still up in there air as far as where we would be residing. But, Prior Lake is it for now, at least for a year, until we decide where would like to buy. Which, Apple Valley seems to be where we would like to be, at some point. Possibley Eden Prarie.
Another plus for Prior Lake for you is the possibility of working at Canterbury Downs-a quick hop up highway 13. There are many horse farms around Prior Lake.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you golfgal...I will definitely keep that in mind.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholland View Post

Oh, ok I gotcha.

I like Prior Lake

Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Well, the plans are confirmed now. We are moving in 2 weeks...should be in Minnesota March 22. I am so excited and looking forward to finally be making our move a reality, not justa hope or dream. I'll keep everyone posted. Again, thank you to everyone that offered their input, thoughts, and information. Truly appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times
I lived in Minnesota for the past 11 years. tell you the truth I love MN!!
But it is getting very expensive here and for the 700 to 1000 a month you will not be able to find a 3/2 house in a nice neighborhood. Apple Valley, Eagan and Lakeville are some of the most expensive as far as rental goes. to get what you need you should set your budget to 1500 minimum. I have 2 kids and I live in a rental property(duplex) in Mounds View ( north of the metro) I considered my self lucky paying 1250 per month for 2000 sq ft when we moved in 6 months ago but guess what the landlord thinks we are paying so little and he wants an increase 1350/month.
in Minnesota an apartment will be better to start with unless you like shoveling snow in the winter time ( and it could get very ugly) and cutting grass in the summer time?? by the way I'm preparing for my move to Orlando Florida :P. good luck

Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Well, we are finally in Minnesota. Been here 2 weeks now. We lucked out finding a 3/2 townhome in Prior Lake for $1250 a month. No pet deposit, no application fee, no background check. The landlord worked with us very much. He was just needing to get the place rented. So everything worked out wonderfully. He did a lot for us making sure the place was all ready for us when we arrived. He was really cool, asked us what color we wanted the master bedroom and bath painted, as well as an office room. he really fixed things up nicely for us. So things are going great! We love it here. We are still leaning toward the Apple Valley area though next year. It seems to be a lot more populated and everything seems more accesible and convenient, more of a downtown than here in PL. But you have to start somewhere and this was a great place to get started.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
Congratulations to you and your family, Katholland, on the recent arrival to the Twin Cities as you settle in this Spring. The lake which the city is named after, Prior Lake, is absolutly georgious in the summer

I do agree that cities further east along County Road 42 such as Burnsville and Apple Valley are more accessable to the two central city downtowns with better road access and bus transportations than the communities a little further west such as Savage, Shakopee and where you are now in Prior Lake.

What I do like about County Road 42, especially the portion through Burnsville and Apple Valley with Savage and Rosemount is that it has a number of dinning options, shopping, services, and most of your daily needs all right next to each other. County Road 42 is the South metro's version of what Colonial Drive (State Road 50) is to Orlando or what S.W. 19th Street (State Road 200) is in Ocala or Kennedy Blvd is to area's west of Downtown Tampa and Brandon Boulevard is to area's east of Tampa (both being S.R. 60).

Since you've mentioned in a previous post, your past work with horses, live thoroughbread racing begins in May at Canterbury Park just 5-miles north of Prior Lake on County Road 83 and US Hwy 169 in Shakopee. During the offseason Canterbury simulcasts races from other tracks such as: Tampa Bay Downs, Gulfstream etc. I don't if I've seen races simulcast from Pompano Park shown at Canterbury or not.

Valleyfair Amusement Park, with the best rollercoasters in Minnesota will also open in May; they are in Shakopee. Raceway Park, also in Shakopee will begin auto races later this month. Renaissance Festival, also in Shakopee, takes place during August and September.

How do the Southwest metro schools such as: Normandale Community College in Bloomington , Hennepin Technical College in Eden Prairie , Inver Hills Community College in Inver Grove Heights and Dakota County Tecnical College in Rosemount, right on County Road 42 compare as far as your husband achieving his EMT certification here in Minnesota?

Write back with any questions you may have, or to just let us know how things are going?

Since sal1978 is looking at relocating to O-Town, their family may have questions about Orlando or elsewhere in Central Florida.

Once again, Congratulations, I am happy you made it here safely!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Well...we are finally all settled in. We are absolutely loving it here. All of us found jobs after only 2 weeks of being here...TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Since coming from Florida where the unemployment rate is about 13%. That just made us realize that our decision to move here was the right thing to do. Both my son and I got jobs in Apple Valley..only 5 minutes from each other, he's working at the Minnesota Zoo. I absolutely love Apple Valley, even much more than Prior Lake. My husband got a job with a gentleman from our church who owns a construction company...just a starter to get us on our feet, then he will be going to school in August for his EMS certification to get back on as a paramedic. Which having done some research since arriving here, the job opportunities and hiring availability is great. He will not have any problem getting hired on. So things are wonderful. I am very shocked by the people here though. They are so so very nice. I mean total strangers. Your reputation of "Minnesota Nice" definitely ranks high on the scale. I am very pleased with our decision to come to this area. Thanks everyone for all your input over the past few months. It made our move here much easier with all the knowledge we had prior to arriving.THANKS!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul