Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,655 times

Advertisements

if this was true, all states would lower or even remove tax. This way they earn ALL the companies business (u don't have to be genius).

If this were the case, then the new competing factor is, u guess it..weather.

Kids and the new workforce is headed in droves to the good weather, and this is where the companies are located. This is why my link was significant.

Btw, regarding the #1 gay point (as asked)....yes, if u can attract all the gays and be ranked so highly, then surely u can attract the kids looking for career. Why did I have to explain that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM

333 posts, read 705,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijj1b View Post
if this was true, all states would lower or even remove tax. This way they earn ALL the companies business (u don't have to be genius).
That's precisely the situation in Texas, and the reason more people are moving there than anywhere else in the country. Even though it's already the second most populous state, it is the fifth fastest growing state right now. Oh yeah, they don't have state income tax, either.

Quote:

Kids and the new workforce is headed in droves to the good weather, and this is where the companies are located. This is why my link was significant.
Climate has always been a significant factor but maybe not in the way you're framing it here. The majority of Americans live in coastal and southern states so obviously the majority of American employers do as well. You go where the work is, generally speaking.

Quote:
Btw, regarding the #1 gay point (as asked)....yes, if u can attract all the gays and be ranked so highly, then surely u can attract the kids looking for career. Why did I have to explain that?
I don't know how you can draw a parallel between the GLBT community and "the kids looking for career." Arguably, the political and cultural climate here is what has helped foster a strong GLBT community. College graduates are moving for economic reasons, generally speaking. And weather (climate) to a great degree but then, that is nothing new. It has been the case since people started moving off the farm decades ago.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,205,646 times
Quote:

This is true, and that's why I consider it a "yin/yang" type of thing. Lower taxes has its pitfalls as well. What Texas is getting away with right now is the fact that it can pull businesses with lower taxes, attract unemployed people looking for cheap living and jobs to a warmer climate, and not have to worry about the reprocussions for decades. Eventually, all of those people will want roads, schools, hospitals, wellfare, etc. etc. etc. that Texas will have less of or none of without taxes or other income. There is no free lunch!

Florida recently stated that at its current rate the state will be bankrupt trying to pay off people's social security and pensions without increasing its tax-base. The start of what will inevitably become a very big problem!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,655 times
i'd rather have nice weather than good roads...but that's just me!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,229,381 times
These lists are mostly bogus - I wouldn't put too much stock into them. It all depends on what parameters the author uses. I once saw Minneapolis on a list of most walkable cities because it has "walking paths" around the lakes and the skyway in Downtown, which in my mind is a bad joke of what walkability is about.

There are lots of young college educated people in Minneapolis. If it's not on that list, all it says is that Minneapolis isn't that special, and there are lots of cities where young college educated people can settle. I'm sure Minneapolis could have made this list easily, and has probably made plenty of other similar lists. Which are still mostly things to keep article writers busy, and don't have that much meaning (although I like looking at them myself).

Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM

581 posts, read 2,309,751 times
FamousBlueRaincoat is right.. Those lists are bogus... Like where you are or move elsewhere.
Those are your choices.. And Damn those bloody lists.. BTW.. When does winter start here?
These double digit days are like fall. When we gonna see the -25F winter?

Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
newsflash----most companies now locate to nice weather. this is not the 60's.
Really? How can you explain the large number of Fortune 500 companies (21) located in Minnesota? While some states with "nice weather" (say my new home, Georgia) have far fewer (14) even though they are also highly educated and have a much larger population?

Hawaii has *really* nice weather, and it has zero F500 companies. Explain?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijj1c View Post
personally...I always wondered about.

can u explain??
I think the quality of the potential employee pool and the local tax situation mean a lot more than the weather to most companies.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM

192 posts, read 560,617 times
It's easier to attract good talent to good climates, though.

And a lot of the potential budget shortfalls in low business/income/property tax fair weather states is made up through tourism and its related taxes.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM

628 posts, read 1,438,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom55116 View Post
Without a doubt, weather is the reason.
And Tampa/Riverside/Portland have no Tech Industry at all.
Notice that I said "most of those cities". Also, you're wrong about Portland. Have you ever heard the term "silicon forest"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul