Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM

16 posts, read 75,818 times

Advertisements

Looking at renting a house in the Victory Park area, on Upton Ave North right off of Memorial Drive.

Any pros or cons about this area? I haven't driven through yet, but glanced on Google Maps (street view/aerial) and it looks to be decent. I'm not too familiar with the Robbinsdale area (closest big neighborhood).

I know to the south a bit you get to the North Side of Minneapolis which has a bad name. But is this little area known as "Victory" a decent place to live?

I'm a single male in my 20s.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:05 PM

33 posts, read 127,820 times
Victory is a fantastic neighborhood. I live right on the border of it and Camden and wouldn't live anywhere else. The parkway is phenomenal and there is a very strong neighborhood community. Housing values there are somewhat higher and more stabilized because of the presence of the parkway as well. I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM

15 posts, read 36,088 times
I lived on the 3300 block of Vincent for many years of my life and never had any problems. Upton would be considered North Minneapolis but towards the parkway and Robbinsdale area it is fairly nice. There were a few times where people in my neighborhood wear robbed a couple years ago but that ended as soon as they closed the Super America on Upton and Lowry. I work in Robbinsdale. Great city.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,025 times
I live in Robbinsdale. It's nice and quiet. Not a nightlife place. There are lots of young marrieds and single sin our neighborhood as the smaller homes meet their needs.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,836,674 times
We're homeowners in Victory, probably only a few blocks away from the house you are looking at renting- it's a great area. FYI Robbinsdale is a suburb that borders the Victory Neighborhood which is in the city of Minneapolis. The house you're looking at would be easy walking distance to restaurants Victory 44, Papa's Pizza, Steamworks Coffee, and Emily's F&M Cafe. There are a number of other little businesses/services in the area, not a ton, but some nice ones like Doorway to Massage Therapy, Workhouse Theatre Co, etc.

In addition to the green space on the parkway, there is Ryan Lake, Crystal Lake, Victory Dog Park/ Prairie, and access to other major park areas in the city on the Grand Rounds System, so if you're a biker/walker/runner, it's an ideal place to be. You'll find a lot of other twenty/thirty-something people in the neighborhood, although they tend to be married or cohabitating couples with and without children, or singles looking for a quieter pace but still close in to big city amenities (so if you're looking for a lot of singles/nightlife, might not be the right place for you). There is a fair amount of diversity in the neighborhood as well in all demographic categories (age, race, income, etc.). Crime is low but you'll want to take basic precautions that you would in any city environment (locking doors/windows, keeping things well-lit, and getting to know your neighbors- which is easy here in Victory as it's a pretty tight-knit, friendly community).

Good luck with your search- let us know if you have any other questions about the area!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenug View Post
I lived on the 3300 block of Vincent for many years of my life and never had any problems. Upton would be considered North Minneapolis but towards the parkway and Robbinsdale area it is fairly nice. There were a few times where people in my neighborhood wear robbed a couple years ago but that ended as soon as they closed the Super America on Upton and Lowry. I work in Robbinsdale. Great city.
I'd be quite north of Upton and Lowry. It's up close to Osseo Rd.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I may be taking a look at it tomorrow. I have to put priority first though, I'm going to the Twins/Yankees game!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,388 times
We've been renting in Victory for 2 years and love it! In fact, we enjoy living here so much that I am currently pursuing purchasing a house in Webber Camden. I've lived in Memphis and feel much safer living here than in the good parts there.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM

I visited today, the area looks nice!

Definitely contemplating more seriously now.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,753,215 times
I'm a born & bred Southsider but the deals available in the Victory neighborhood (all along Wirth Pkwy/Victory Memorial Pkwy really) are too good to pass up imo. We're looking at a 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1600+f2 for under $50k. This neighborhood also qualifies for a few neighborhood revitalization/1st time home buyers/etc programs which make it almost silly not to buy over there. If you come in & out via the Parkway you'd never know it was North Mpls.

* My one concern are schools (I've got 3 little girls), so I've got to find a solution. I'm going to visit Loring Elementary as that seems to be as good as it gets, but will likely have to get them over into Kenwood School or out into Golden Valley/St Louis Park or something. Any advice on schools, open enrollment etc for N Mpls children is appreciated.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,836,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm a born & bred Southsider but the deals available in the Victory neighborhood (all along Wirth Pkwy/Victory Memorial Pkwy really) are too good to pass up imo. We're looking at a 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1600+f2 for under $50k. This neighborhood also qualifies for a few neighborhood revitalization/1st time home buyers/etc programs which make it almost silly not to buy over there. If you come in & out via the Parkway you'd never know it was North Mpls.

* My one concern are schools (I've got 3 little girls), so I've got to find a solution. I'm going to visit Loring Elementary as that seems to be as good as it gets, but will likely have to get them over into Kenwood School or out into Golden Valley/St Louis Park or something. Any advice on schools, open enrollment etc for N Mpls children is appreciated.
Based on the School Quality Review (SQR) reports, Loring blows Kenwood out of the water- as a refresher here are the links to the final reports:

Kenwood: http://kenwood.mpls.k12.mn.us/sites/...al_08-09_2.pdf

Loring: http://loring.mpls.k12.mn.us/uploads...inal_08-09.pdf

For what it's worth, Lake Nokomis Community School has chosen not to publicly post their SQR.

That being said, I think you should continue looking on the Southside. Northsiders want neighbors to invest in their community, not take advantage of it.

P.S. I haven't seen any houses in Victory that meet that criteria- can you pass on the address so I can tell some friends about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul