Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

19 posts, read 105,874 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job transfer to move back to MN but that would mean having to short sell our current home in Vegas. We've been told that we won't be able to buy a new home for at least 2-3 years so we'd have to rent and due to our family size and pets we would need at least a 3 bedroom townhome or home (an apartment just would not work for us for that long).

Of the places I've found that we're interested in they will not take us because you must be in good standing with your current landlord/mortgage and if we do a short sale we would not be.

Has anyone been in a similar situation with a bankruptcy, short sale, or foreclosure and was still able to rent a home/townhome? Did you rent the home before this all took place or were you able to rent after the short sale/foreclosure/bankruptcy took place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 AM

336 posts, read 927,367 times
My former neighbor is renting after short sale. I would try to look on craigslist, the newspaper and places like that, where a management company isn't handling the rental. Work with the owners directly & you'd probably have better luck. I'm guessing an explanation of the Las Vegas real estate market would help people understand your situation. More people are having to resort to renting out their homes because they can't sell so I would think you'd have some luck.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
I haven't been in that situation, but agree with mmhl; there are a lot of people out there these days who are in your situation, and I think many landlords will be willing to take you. There are a lot of landlords out there who really need tenants.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,346 times
I know two families that are currently renting after a short sale. As mmhl mentioned, you'll probably need to find a private rental instead of somewhere with a management company. Craigslist is a good place to start as is driving around neighborhoods that you'd like. My friend found a single family home that only advertised by putting a sign in front.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
At the end of the day if you can show that you have money and you are not a risk, most people/places should accept your money. So offer a large deposit or prepaid rent or something to show you are a legitimate lessee.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM

172 posts, read 785,173 times
In recent years, more and more landlords are renting to tenants who have had a short sale or foreclosure, because that is becoming the norm. I also might suggest looking into a contract for deed. I do know of one company/builder who is putting people in new or newer houses that they can afford, and doing so on a contract for deed. If you think you'd want your "own" house again, this would be a good option too.

Good luck on your move, and I'm sorry you're having to short sale your current home.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM

47 posts, read 111,715 times
I was in your same predicament this past April. I relocated out west from MN, short saled the home but I signed the lease of an apartment before the short sale went through. That way, your credit is still in good standing and you will get the opportunity to get the apartment before the credit report reflects the short sale. It can be done, just be strategic about it. Good luck to you and enjoy Minnesota.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM

19 posts, read 105,874 times
Thanks everyone! I will keep these things in mind. Right now nothing is for sure as I haven't accepted the transfer yet, just looking at what our options might be if I do decide to accept.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Yes - you can find something - its more common now than ever. My friend did it through a management company because private owners were so uptight. She showed her offer letter and rented something well within her price range. No worries.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 16,591 times
If you can make the stretch financially, try getting the rental before you do the short sale. Also, the hit to your credit may not appear right away on your credit. Maybe 1-2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul