Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,464 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been searching the site and gained some valuable information but was wondering if I could get some additional advice/ thoughts on places to live in WI or IL.

There is a very high probability that my husband and I will be moving from a suburb of Detroit, MI to the Milwaukee area. His new job will be located in Greenfield but he doesn't mind a daily commute up to about 45-50 minutes or so. We also will be looking to rent not buy a home.

We are both 30 years old, just starting a family(I am due in late April). We are both pretty outgoing and like to stay active(we enjoy running outside), enjoy a downtown area, but don't want to live in the heart of it all. I am also a Personal Trainer and would like to be able to find work somewhere down the road.

We are looking for a safe area to raise our child yet not too far away from everything. We also will be traveling home often or having family members fly in (I believe Chicago O'Hare is where they would arrive/depart) and would like to cut down on travel time from the airport to our home, if possible. If we choose to live in Greenfield or a surrounding suburb,it looks like it would take at least 2 hours to get there form O'Hare. Looking at areas like Winthrop Harbor and Pleasant Prairie, travel time would be cut in half and my husband would have about a 50 minute commute to work. Which isn't entirely undoable and seems like a good compromise on both ends.

BUT from what I have read, it does not seem that either Winthrop Harbor nor Pleasant Prairie would accommodate our lifestyle.
I guess, if we can not live closer to the IL area that is ok, we would rather be happier with the area we are actually live in on a daily basis.

So, in the end I guess I am looking for suggestions that could possibly meet all our criteria-- close to IL, safe/active environment, and close to a downtown area. Seeing that that may be a difficult task, we would also love to hear about areas near the Greenfield area that would match our personalities.

Or if you can offer any suggestions we have not thought of--we are all ears.

Thank you in advance for you time!
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,815,522 times
Milwaukee's "East Side," would be my first suggestion.

If you think that is too "busy" for you, and you prefer close in burbs, try Wauwatosa.

I've made the drive to O'Hare many times, approx an hour drive, to 1.5 hours.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM

358 posts, read 452,617 times
Is O'Hare the only reason you want to be close to Illinois? The reason I ask is because Milwaukee's Mitchell airport is a major airport with MUCH less hassle than O'Hare. It's also very close to Greenfield. If you have your family fly into MKE you could avoid having to live so far away.

My wife and I are your age, and we own a home in Greenfield. The north/east side of Greenfield is more urban and active, and we have easy access to downtown Milwaukee. The schools are good -- they just built a brand new high school. Homes in the area are mostly modest single family houses. There should be plenty of rentals available.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

68 posts, read 118,256 times
I agree with Rogee, definately have your family consider coming in to Mitchell instead of O'Hare. The flights arn't necessarily any more expensive and it will be far more convenient for you. Plus, with the IL requirement alleviated, you could check out the upper east side and shorewood as areas to live. Shorewood especially keeps you very close to downtown and since you are renting it keeps it affordable if you're willing to live in a duplex. This is a very nice, north shore neighborhood so living in a duplex here is not the same as other more blue-collar areas.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,464 times
Thank you for your time and responses, I am finding them very helpful.

Fishtacos--Thank you for the suggestion of Wauwatosa, I've only been reading good things about it.
Does anyone know of any cities it would be comparable to here in the Detroit area?

As far as the east side of town goes, would I be correct in assuming that it would be more college students? And college living? Or does it really just depend on the city?

Rogee and Coldwake-- Thank you! Knowing there is an alternative airport makes things a bit easier. I just assumed that O'Hare was the closest-- that was the airport my husband was told to fly into.
I came across Shorewood earlier in my search and thought it sounded like a place we might like too.
How does Shorwood and Greenfield compare? And how do those compare to Wauwatosa?

Are there any local(or other) sites you suggest that list properies for rent?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,725,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis01 View Post
Hi,
I've been searching the site and gained some valuable information but was wondering if I could get some additional advice/ thoughts on places to live in WI or IL.

There is a very high probability that my husband and I will be moving from a suburb of Detroit, MI to the Milwaukee area. His new job will be located in Greenfield but he doesn't mind a daily commute up to about 45-50 minutes or so. We also will be looking to rent not buy a home.

We are both 30 years old, just starting a family(I am due in late April). We are both pretty outgoing and like to stay active(we enjoy running outside), enjoy a downtown area, but don't want to live in the heart of it all. I am also a Personal Trainer and would like to be able to find work somewhere down the road.

We are looking for a safe area to raise our child yet not too far away from everything. We also will be traveling home often or having family members fly in (I believe Chicago O'Hare is where they would arrive/depart) and would like to cut down on travel time from the airport to our home, if possible. If we choose to live in Greenfield or a surrounding suburb,it looks like it would take at least 2 hours to get there form O'Hare. Looking at areas like Winthrop Harbor and Pleasant Prairie, travel time would be cut in half and my husband would have about a 50 minute commute to work. Which isn't entirely undoable and seems like a good compromise on both ends.

BUT from what I have read, it does not seem that either Winthrop Harbor nor Pleasant Prairie would accommodate our lifestyle.
I guess, if we can not live closer to the IL area that is ok, we would rather be happier with the area we are actually live in on a daily basis.

So, in the end I guess I am looking for suggestions that could possibly meet all our criteria-- close to IL, safe/active environment, and close to a downtown area. Seeing that that may be a difficult task, we would also love to hear about areas near the Greenfield area that would match our personalities.

Or if you can offer any suggestions we have not thought of--we are all ears.

Thank you in advance for you time!
Sarah
I'll second what has been said almost unanimously here.

Airport: Mitchell International (MKE) Airport is easy to get to and from, has a ton of direct flights, and is subject to few of the delays that O'Hare suffers from. O'Hare is great for overseas flights or wacky direct flights like small cities in Tennessee or something like that. But not for routine domestic flights. Most major destinations are easily reached directly from Milwaukee's airport. And to Detroit Metro is a quick hop over the lake. I've taken it many, many times. There are a bunch of flights to and from. I can't believe someone told your husband to fly into O'Hare... but whatever. For what it's worth, I work 10 miles north of O'Hare (Northbrook). I often fly into Milwaukee airport and drive the ~1 hour to work. I've been burned many times flying in and out of O'Hare, plus I'm biased because I live in Milwaukee part time. O'Hare is a really nice airport with just about every destination possible, but the air traffic is so tightly packed, that a hiccup in the weather causes a snowball effect.

Where to live: I think the East Side and Shorewood would suit your lifestyle, and you would find a lot of like minded people in the neighborhood. Two of my relatives are raising families on the Upper East Side, near Lake Park. They love it. Shorewood is very similar. It's a suburb, but it's more urban than suburban. It shares a lot of characteristics with the East Side. Also, most the main business corridors in Shorewood continue into the East Side, and into the city.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 PM

393 posts, read 893,074 times
Mitchell in Milwaukee shouldn't be too hard for them to fly into either. Kenosha, although not really a suburb, is what you described. You are closeish to both Milwaukee and Chicago, Kenosha has his own awesome downtown with lots to do, but it has sort of a small town feel, which is amazing for a vibrant city of 100,000. Soon there may even be a passenger rail from Kenosha up to Milwaukee; there already is one to Chicago. All in all, Kenosha is sort of in both metros but sort of in neither, and is probably the best outlying city to live in for both. I would avoid Lake County at penalty of death, death meaning traffic and taxes. It has a very active community and a lot of people jog, walk, and bike in the amazing Harborpark area which is right on the lake. To me, Kenosha sounds perfect for your needs.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,843,869 times
kenoshas good for you north chicago-land

Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 AM

145 posts, read 375,777 times
i would not suggest eastside as a good location for you. maybe 5-10 years ago for your lifestyle but not now. wauwatosa can be nice, but you will want to stay as far west as possible. I would suggest the south suburbs like greendale, as far south in greenfield as you can afford or as far west, oak creek, franklin....it really is all about what your price range is too.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 AM

2,678 posts, read 3,878,425 times
Perhaps this is not an issue for you but I suggest you check out prices for flights: Detroit to MKE and Detroit to O'hare.

I flew out of Mitchell a lot when I lived in MKE area. Northwest (now Delta) had a lock on the Detroit run. It was very expensive due to lack of competition.
Your relatives may choose O'hare due to cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee