Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 50,843 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket with 4 points; wondering what to do/say when I show up in court ... I'm not gonna plea unguilty since I was going 19 over... I just want to ask them to remove the points if possible... (first violation ever)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Usually what happens is you plead not guilty on your ticket when you mail it in. Then when your court date comes the prosecutor will see you or call you and tell you what they are willing to do. They usually make you an offer of lets say lower the speed and points and give you time to pay or you can fight it that day that you are their. You could ask for forgiveness since it is your first ticket but I always took the bargain ticket they offer you when you show up for court. 9 time out of 10 they give you the option to take a lesser ticket and points. I must say I have only gotten a ticket in Milwaukee County and I assume they do things different their. However I got a ticket in Lincoln Park,IL and when I went to fight it they did the same thing, they offered me a jaywalking ticket instead of a public drinking ticket. Which I took. So it seems to be common practice that if you at least show up they reduce the ticket. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.

Note to self: Chicago doesn't let you drink out in broad day light!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM

118 posts, read 436,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
I got a speeding ticket with 4 points; wondering what to do/say when I show up in court ... I'm not gonna plea unguilty since I was going 19 over... I just want to ask them to remove the points if possible... (first violation ever)
Depends on if you were speeding in a construction zone. Since Waukesha Co seems to have construction all the time, that's a pretty good chance that you were. The points and special fines apply to all construction zones - even if noone is working or if the barrels and barricades are on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Note to self: Chicago doesn't let you drink out in broad day light!
Something else ridiculous: Milwaukee doesn't allow drinking in parks. You have to rent a picnic area!

I know it's ghetto, but the only real way around the drinking ordinances is to keep your brew in a paper bag while you drink it. The bums do this because with the bag over the can, the cops don't even have probable cause to question them on what's in the can.

Personally, I'd rather just drink at home.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
Something else ridiculous: Milwaukee doesn't allow drinking in parks. You have to rent a picnic area!

I know it's ghetto, but the only real way around the drinking ordinances is to keep your brew in a paper bag while you drink it. The bums do this because with the bag over the can, the cops don't even have probable cause to question them on what's in the can.

Personally, I'd rather just drink at home.
I just use a cup from home or a thermos. Racine's North Point Beach doesn't let you drink on the beach either unless you're in a roped off area that is 12x12. Dumb!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM

118 posts, read 436,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I just use a cup from home or a thermos. Racine's North Point Beach doesn't let you drink on the beach either unless you're in a roped off area that is 12x12. Dumb!
I don't really understand why people are so squeamish about people drinking in public unless if they follow some arbitrary rule like that.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM

158 posts, read 485,860 times
Usually they will let you reduce the points if you pay more than the ticket was worth. Which is sucky in a way, but saves those points!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
I recently got a speeding ticket in Manitowoc county. Doing 74 in a 55. That was four points and a fine of $186.00. I pled not guilty and rolled the dice with the DA. She didn't do much. Reduced it to three points and the fine remained the same. I didn't think going to court would help me much so I left it at that.

First violation of any kind in 18 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee