Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM

19 posts, read 57,509 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee County First

Do you think that this organization can help improve Milwaukee? I love the city just as much as most people, but let's face it, the place is in serious decline. All one needs to do to verify that is to visit a progressive, cutting-edge metropolis like Minneapolis to confirm how far behind Milwaukee is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,135,541 times
Don't you ever have anything nice to say about Milwaukee? you say you love Milwaukee but at every turn you bash the city. I don't think a website is progressive besides progressive is in the eye of the beholder. No matter how much a city improves some people just refuse to see the good things going on in Milwaukee. If you think Milwaukee is in serious decline then you haven't been to the rest of the country. I thought the same before I lived all over the country and visited a lot of different big cities. If you really think the white cities are cutting edge then you're in for a rude awakening. I have been to NYC, Miami, SD, Houston, LA and Vegas and the twin cities are the farthest thing from cutting edge. When I say been there I mean I was their for at least a month and lived in New Orleans and Miami and San Diego. Just move to the twin cities and don't forget your parka. If you said these things about Milwaukee back in 1990 I would agree with you however you say these things now just shows that you are completely unknowledgeable or a troll, either way good day Sir.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,691,156 times
Very well said Milwaukee City!

As for the new group, I'm cautiously optomistic on what they are trying to do. I see places where Milwaukee county and the metro can improve, hopefully this group can be a catalyst. I just want to know more about who put it together before I'm on board.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:44 PM

19 posts, read 57,509 times
It's funny Milwaukee City.....the reason Milwaukee is so backwards and behind the times is because of too many people exactly like you. Sorry I speak the truth about how the city is sliding, but it needs to be said. A total lack of leadership is why the city is where it is. The leaders of Milwaukee must have failed to get the memo that we now operate in a globabl economy. If everything is going so well in Milwaukee, why is there little to no population growth not only the the city, but the entire metro area? Get a grip and wake up.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 PM

358 posts, read 451,827 times
Please explain how Milwaukee is in "serious decline" and how Minneapolis is "cutting-edge"?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Jason View Post
It's funny Milwaukee City.....the reason Milwaukee is so backwards and behind the times is because of too many people exactly like you. Sorry I speak the truth about how the city is sliding, but it needs to be said. A total lack of leadership is why the city is where it is. The leaders of Milwaukee must have failed to get the memo that we now operate in a global economy. If everything is going so well in Milwaukee, why is there little to no population growth not only the the city, but the entire metro area? Get a grip and wake up.
WOW, this is your first post, that isn't 30 and single insert city. So I'm the reason this city is backwards? how? first of all have you ever been to a city that is sliding? I agree with you that our political leadership is garbage however if you think government is the solution then yet another awakening is in store. It's the people and the business owners that make a city and actually do the leg work to make a city progressive.

So I'm the reason why this city is sliding, why b/c I could live anywhere but I chose Walker's Point? I lived in SD, Miami, Houston, New Orleans and I decided to move back and into the city S.2nd and National area. I attend most neighborhood meetings and know all of my neighbor's and I pick up my neighborhood and I treat my rental rowhouse like it's my own. I actually suggest ideas to our alderman/county supervisor on ways to improve the city or area instead of just crying to them about my problems. I have actually formed a group that is going to try to change the Milwaukee flag. Any city would love to have me as one of their citizens, I don't like to brag but come on, I put a lot of personal time into this city and my neighborhood. Behind the times b/c of people like you is what you said about me, actually you mean people that sit on their hands and don't care about their city or neighborhood. I could live anywhere but I want to live in Walker's Point. Nothing like people like me who work out in the suburbs but live downtown right?

Now let's talk about the Progress Milwaukee has made since you see none!!

Crime is dramatically down in the city and is no longer on the list of the 25 most dangerous cities list. Second of all do you even remember downtown in the 90's? it was hooker heaven and a ghost town by 6. Now there is million dollar condo's going up everywhere do you not notice them? The most expensive condo for sale in Milwaukee is for 6.2million, now think about when there was only 3,000 people living downtown which were all students at the time of the 90's. Have you seen Brewers Hill or the Third Ward turn around? or the Marquette campus upgrades? what about all the condo's going up all over the city and even in this recession there is still multi-million dollar condo's going up. Our nightlife is some of the best in the country and we have an upscale nightlife now where as back in 1990 the only thing upscale was the pfister hotel. Now you have people from LA, CHI and New York singing praises about how changed Milwaukee is and how cosmo the city is getting, how come you can't see that? We have a great restaurant scene and beautiful architecture in this city, when was their ever a time before nowadays when celebs were coming to Milwaukee to party? now they are. I'm not saying Milwaukee has arrived but it's moving along very well and moving in the right direction and just b/c we don't have light rail we are years behind other cities. I hear people that have been away from Milwaukee for years and they come back and cannot believe what they see.

Actually you're the reason people think Milwaukee isn't progressing, what do you want us to be the third city already? take a look around people are moving to warm weather states b/c of the weather. I did then you realize how nice Milwaukee is. I guess having a train that can take you down to Chicago is a bad thing also? I can tell you back in 1990 I didn't have lambo's parked in front of my house or Bentley's but now I do. More and more people are moving to downtown and the east side, Bayview, Brewers Hill, Walker's Point, Beer Line B. I have a 3 million dollar condo within blocks of my house and a studio that is selling for 200,000. You didn't have that in the 1990's.

Do us in Milwaukee a favor and keep your negativity to yourself.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,489 times
The twin cities are nice, but there not that great. As far as population, check the census that was released a few weeks back. Milwaukee has gained population this decade and (grasp) both of the twin cities lost population this decade. They have their problems with schools, crime and blight just like Milwaukee. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM

But I do remember the good ole days of Milwaukee county when we had..county stadium and the old Marquette interchange and no calatrava and no Milwaukee public market and brewers hill was a ghetto and all the abandoned factories in the Menominee river valley and no Harley museum and no pier Wisconsin and nobody living downtown and walker's point was the wild wild west and the third ward was going to be a red light district and more abandoned factories along the Milwaukee river north of Brady street and no nightclubs or no good restaurants and Jeffery Dahmer and no condo's along the lake and no new train station and no bayshore towncenter and no population gain and the city that had the 6th most killings in the nation and no upscale lounges and bradford beach was filled with rats and needles and no bike trails or bike lanes or no uwm expansion and no medical college of wisconsin and nobody wanted to live in riverwest.....

ahhh the good ole Milwaukee county, you tell me when would like to have lived in Milw county? the 60's 70's or today?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,489 times
Milwaukee city - I appreciate you sticking up for Milwaukee, but it wasn't that bad years ago. I grew up here in the 60's/70's/80's and it was alot of fun. We have made much progress, but it was never a bad town. There was plenty of nightlife/restaurants and entertainment then. People paint a much darker picture than it actually was. Milwaukee was and is a city to have fun in.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I appreciate you sticking up for Milwaukee, but it wasn't that bad years ago.
I know, I was trying to illustrate a point, for some reason when someone rips on Milwaukee it's like their ripping on my family. I love this city and the people of it and if we lived in detroit or new orleans I might think different but prolly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee