Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM

44 posts, read 186,122 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend of mine in Milwaukee and she said she saw something on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
probably, but not because we want it

Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
probably, but not because we want it
Speak for yourself. Personally, I would love to see light rail in Southeastern Wisconsin, and I know many other people who feel the same way. What could possibly be the downside of having an efficient, eco-friendly mass transit system?

Portland, Minneapolis, Denver, Buffalo, Cleveland, Little Rock, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Memphis, Tampa, Charlotte, and Sacramento are all medium-sized major cities that have some form of light rail or street cars operating within them. Milwaukee's window of opportunity is closing. If we want our city to thrive and be prosperous in the 21st century, then we need to start tackling these problems now. Otherwise, I fear Milwaukee will become another decaying urban wasteland like Detroit.

To address the OP's original question, from what I have been reading, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has found a way to use the federal stimulus funds to construct a downtown street car line without having to seek approval from Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker. The federal stimulus funds will also be used to construct a commuter rail between Milwaukee and Kenosha, in an effort to connect Greater Milwaukee with Chicagoland.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 PM

158 posts, read 486,033 times
It is so exciting to not only have light rail in the city in play, but high speed rail between Milwaukee and Madison, and now with Obama's vision, it may link to Mpls and Chicago and beyond.
HOORAY!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
There's been talk about it, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon, the mindset here is not progressive enough. It's too bad, mass transit is a plus for any city.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 AM

80 posts, read 548,468 times
Default streetcar

@karfar Oh I actually believe the streetcar project is close to happening (2 years is my guess till groundbreaking), as the money is now in the Mayor's hands. i.e he no longer needs Walker.

For more information on the project check out this article: Milwaukee Streetcar Round-up

Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
a street car to no where,,, a waste of money indeed..

see:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ml#post8440606

KRM commuter line hits major snag - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:

Kenosha News | Many see KRM as key to region (http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/many_see_krm_as_key_to_region_4285001.html - broken link)

Page expired - MSN Money (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20090212&id=9606 707 - broken link)

Last edited by city414; 04-21-2009 at 01:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
a street car to no where,,, a waste of money indeed..

see:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ml#post8440606

KRM commuter line hits major snag - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:

Kenosha News | Many see KRM as key to region (http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/many_see_krm_as_key_to_region_4285001.html - broken link)

Page expired - MSN Money (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20090212&id=9606 707 - broken link)
A waste of whose money? Milwaukee has been sitting on nearly $100 million of federal money for over a decade. The longer we wait to spend it, the less it will be able to purchase due to inflation.

Do we really want Milwaukee to lag behind the likes of Little Rock or Buffalo? Light rail has done wonders for Cleveland, and I think it could do the same for Milwaukee since both cities are so similar.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM

80 posts, read 548,468 times
Further I'd contend that if the streetcar line is built as proposed it would connect some of the Milwaukee's high population density areas, East Town, with the Public Market, the Grand Ave, the Bradley Center, a few bar districts and so on. Might the route be altered to connect even more? Sure. But to think that connecting the 77,000 people who make up the daytime population (including workers), and the 18,000 residents to the areas markets, grocery stores, entertainment districts, the Bradley center, the Grand Ave, the Intermodal Station, and such is connecting to "nowhere" is well on its face wrong.

And to be clear @city414 the KRM line is a completely different project than the streetcar.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Please can we have one of those light rail trains that cost the city more money than the good they actually do? Not even the L system or the Metra makes money in Chicago. An actual ride from Milwaukee to Chicago on the train unsubsidized is $55 dollars. Our Gov throw's in 35 dollars of taxpayer money per rider for the one way trip on Amtrak down to Chicago which without the governments help is still $21 dollars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee