Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times

Advertisements

Wow, I really appreciate all of the help! We are definitely more conservative in our views, but can handle the liberal point of view. I am however not interested in living in an area where it's a political hotbed, whether liberal or conservative.

While we live in the Twin Cities, we've actually only lived here for a few years. We used to live in Portland, Oregon which is much much smaller than here. It was an extreme culture shock to move to this size of a city! I felt like we were in Chicago! That is until we drove through Chicago to get to Indy...then I realized, wow! The Twin Cities sure aren't this big!!!

Green Bay does appeal for the smaller town, conservative and sounds like a good place to raise our young kids. I do realize though that I've begun to acclimate to the city life, so it would definitely be another culture shock.

I've reseached a bit on Milwaukee and have seen some disturbing information. I've seen that the housing is very low, and one of the main reasons is that people are having a difficult time re-selling them. I've also learned that the population is growing quicker than anticipated due to a large Latin influx. This may sound like a racist remark, but I don't want to move my family to a city where we have to learn another language to survive. I know that remark is a bit extreme, but I'm just concerned.

And to share where I got my data from, it was actually from City-Data's site. Plus my wife works for the federal government and was the one who learned about the housing situation. And in addition, from all you shared Milwaukee sounds like a beautiful place to live...I'm just not sure I want to live in a city environment anymore. We are so burned out on the commute and more regarding living in a big city. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Minnesota and the Twin Cities! It's just so overwhelming at times...and extremely expensive to live! A starter home here begins at $225,000 to $250,000. And that is in a decent area, and an older home. One of my big reasons for even considering Green Bay is because of the housing costs and smaller town.

In regards to weather...we both love the cold weather and are not fans of hot and humid summers. A longer winter would be ideal for us, and shorter spring would be awesome for my wife and children since they all deal with spring allergies as well.

Everyone's posts have given me soooo much to think about and process. My wife has to put in her applications this weekend as they're due on Monday. We should know in a few short weeks where we will end up. Thank you, thank you again for this excellent help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 02:55 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,176 times
Hey Hoosier guy -

Best of luck to you! Enjoy Wisconsin...while I do not miss the weather there, I miss quite a bit else about it...it is a great state to live in.

A few more thoughts for you...it sounds like you are leaning towards Green Bay? If that is the case, I hope it works out for you! I should have mentioned this before to you...from a guy who has spent quite a bit of time in both Green Bay and in Duluth, MN...they are semi-comparable, although GB is a hare bigger than Duluth. But other than that, they have a similar "feel", demographics, weather, etc. If you'd be happy living in Duluth, you'd probably be happy in GB. Not a perfect comparison, but I would say they are similar at least.

A few more thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Wow, I really appreciate all of the help! We are definitely more conservative in our views, but can handle the liberal point of view. I am however not interested in living in an area where it's a political hotbed, whether liberal or conservative.
I would say if you lived in the Milwaukee Metro area, or in Green Bay, overall, you wouldn't feel like you were in a political hotbed either way - lib or conservative, even though Milwaukee itself is overall more liberal, Milwaukee's suburbs are more conservative (except the Northshore ones which are more liberal) and Green Bay is more conservative. However, you'll find enough libs/conservatives in all of those areas where you won't feel in a hotbed either way.

Madison in general would be a different story. It is generally considered one of the hotbeds of liberalism in the U.S. Sure there are some conservatives there...but not many (and again, I am not saying that's good or bad...it is just how it is.)

Quote:
That is until we drove through Chicago to get to Indy...then I realized, wow! The Twin Cities sure aren't this big!!!
Milwaukee Metro is much smaller than Chicago, and is also a decent amount smaller than the Twin Cities and their Metros. Milwaukee, size-wise, with its suburbs, is somewhat comparable in size to Indianapolis.

Quote:
I've reseached a bit on Milwaukee and have seen some disturbing information. I've seen that the housing is very low, and one of the main reasons is that people are having a difficult time re-selling them.
But see, here is where the info you are obtaining is of course accurate, but somewhat misleading. Milwaukee Metro area has truly become largely a suburban area. There are countless numbers of suburbs directly bordering, or close to, Milwaukee itself, which compose the true MKE Metro area, and you'll find a MUCH much different picture of housing - cost-wise and resale wise - in the suburbs. Seriously...look up housing info on any/all of these communities:

Brookfield, Wauwatosa, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Shorewood, Port Washington, Menomonee Falls, Germantown, Cedarburg, Grafton, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, Delafield, Thiensville, Franklin, Mequon, Greendale, Greenfield, Glendale, St. Francis, Bayside, Bay View, New Berlin, Hartland, Elm Grove, Waukesha, Brown Deer, Jackson, Muskego, West Allis, Hales Corners, River Hills...(they are ALL within a 15-to-20 minute drive of Milwaukee itself...many much closer than that right along the Milwaukee border...)...

...here, you will find great property values, good resale values, great safe neighborhoods, good schools, etc. As mentioned in a previous post, that isn't to say that there are not any good areas in Milwaukee itself...there surely still are. However, most folks in your life situation currently in that area chose one of the suburbs to live in - often times for the exact concerns you described.

Bear in mind that Milwaukee is very much a "metro" area generally when folks think of the area. However, when stats are given such as you viewed, they would describe only the city of Milwaukee itself, not factoring the 'burbs. For instance, the population of the city of Milwaukee itself isn't massive - it is under 600,000 (and generally shrinking in size slowly). However, the Milwaukee Metro area itself is over 2-million people. So there is roughly 1.5 million people living in an area most generally loosely describe as "Milwaukee"...even though they do not reside truly in the city of Milwaukee. Also note...alot of these suburbs are spaced apart well and not crowded next to each other...offhand I would think of towns like Jackson, Oconomowoc, Cedarburg, Port Washington, Pewaukee, Hartland, Mequon...truly the list could go on...they geographically are far enough away from Milwaukee that they feel like "small towns" still, but are still remarkably close to the bigger city.

Quote:
I've also learned that the population is growing quicker than anticipated due to a large Latin influx. This may sound like a racist remark, but I don't want to move my family to a city where we have to learn another language to survive. I know that remark is a bit extreme, but I'm just concerned.
There is a decent-sized Latin influx into Milwaukee, but honestly, that would be the absolute last of your concerns in the MKE Metro area (your kids needing to learn a second language). I currently live in Albuquerque, NM where the populace is 45% of so Hispanic, and I have NEVER heard anything but English spoken here except for casual conversation between two-Spanish speakers. It isn't even on the radar of a concern down here...and from someone from Milwaukee who visits several times a year and has tons of family and friends in the area...this isn't even on the radar of even approaching a minor, miniscule issue. You'll use English and English only in Milwaukee, unless you'd chose to live in a smallish pocket on the southside of Milwaukee...and even then English would be predominant. Please do not let that factor into your decision...it would be the least of any worries in Milwaukee Metro!

Surely this in no way it to try to "change your mind" or to influence a decision. I just really want you to be able to have all of the info before making the decision. Look into those suburbs of Milwaukee...they may at least give you some good things to consider as options! (Seriously...check into Jackson...really small and rural still and like 20 minutes from Milwaukee...you'd get much of what you are looking for out of Green Bay, but would be 20-minutes from Milwaukee rather than 2+ hours!).

Milwaukee Metro is similar in some regards to a city like Denver or Atlanta. Both Denver and Atlanta are also relatively smaller sized cities on their own, however, both have extensive suburban cities as well that truly compose the "Denver area" or the "Atlanta area". If you live in Aurora, CO, Commerce City, CO, Littleton, CO, Englewood, CO, etc., you legally and technically do not live in Denver...however, generally you'd think of them as "Denver" if you were in that whole area.

Best of luck!!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicMinded View Post
Yo, vanilla,

Where are you getting your crime stats from when you go comparing GB to other cities? We're supposed to just take your word for it?

It's old? What do you mean by that? New York, London, Paris, and lots of other cities are a lot older than Green Bay. So by your logic, what does that mean?

Now, I have nothing against Madison or any other city for that matter. But to each his/her own. I lived in Madison and many other cities, each has pros/cons. But now I live in Green Bay and I wouldn't want to move anywhere else. That's my preference right now for a variety of reason, among them being that it's safe, it has a lot of history and character, some awesome people & neighborhoods, it's the fastest growing metro in the state (and has been for a number of years, faster growing MSA than Madison between 1990-2000 and probably still is) there are lots of opportunities, good jobs, family-friendly, and more.
well for starters you can look up crime statistics right here on city-data.com also cnn money usually has some good city info every year. and morgan-quinto. here's a link to last year's morgan quinto's safest/dangerous awards http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25 and the year before's http://www.morganquitno.com/cit06pop.htm#CITIES . toward the bottom is the metro areas; there are 7 WI metro areas in the top 25 safest catagory. green bay not included. its not east st louis or anything, but compared to other similar WI areas... may i rest my case.

so, old, well lots of cities are old. i like old stuff, actually. my house is even 101 years old. but how well has it all been been kept up? and how has time progressed through it? green bay has a few qualities i am sure. i liked heritage hill when i was a kid. but any time i've been to green bay (besides as a kid) ive just felt like... the world had stopped spinning for awhile i guess. that, and i'll never let you guys live down those stupid cheese hats, sheesh

Last edited by yo vanilla; 03-31-2007 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 07:17 PM

42 posts, read 189,183 times
Madison! The best city over 200,000+ in the midwest hands down.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,301 times
Milwaukee is a toilet. The racial tensions and crime are hideous. If you make a billion dollars you could live in Whitefish Bay or by the Lake..good luck. The winters are also hideous.

Madison is very nice, but the college thing overtakes the whole city. They are very political there also. A little pricey but clean and very nice city...winter is terrible, driving on the beltline is a nightmare. I use to live there. Lots to do.

Green Bay is an armpit. Talk about yer rednecks. I use to live there too. Lots of crime, lots of poverty. Lambeau Field got fixed up though. Glad they poured money into that vs other important issues. Can't beat GB for beer/brats/deep-fried cheese though....those are the good points by the way.

Move to the Fox Cities...research it a little on the Internet. Sounds like more your style, very family-oriented, clean, safe, good schools, nice people, many churches. Check out www.jefflindsay.com for some great info.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 14,301 times
Default Choose Appleton/Fox Cities..20 min S of GB

Hi,

Just adding one more thing....if you were leaning towards Green Bay, then you should definitely research Appleton/Fox Cities area. Appleton is 20 minutes south of Green Bay.

You will be happily surprised, and glad that you didn't move to GB.

Good luck once again.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
lem

75 posts, read 354,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girrl View Post
Milwaukee is a toilet. The racial tensions and crime are hideous. If you make a billion dollars you could live in Whitefish Bay or by the Lake..good luck. The winters are also hideous.

Madison is very nice, but the college thing overtakes the whole city. They are very political there also. A little pricey but clean and very nice city...winter is terrible, driving on the beltline is a nightmare. I use to live there. Lots to do.

Green Bay is an armpit. Talk about yer rednecks. I use to live there too. Lots of crime, lots of poverty. Lambeau Field got fixed up though. Glad they poured money into that vs other important issues. Can't beat GB for beer/brats/deep-fried cheese though....those are the good points by the way.

Move to the Fox Cities...research it a little on the Internet. Sounds like more your style, very family-oriented, clean, safe, good schools, nice people, many churches. Check out www.jefflindsay.com for some great info.

Good luck!

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Before you take anything seriously in her post do some research and you'll find her Green Bay take is inaccurate. Thats all I'm going to say.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Before you take anything seriously in her post do some research and you'll find her Green Bay take is inaccurate. Thats all I'm going to say.
Yep.

And her notions about the Milwaukee area are off-base too. Surely, there are many a mediocre-to-poor areas in the city of Milwaukee itself, however, there are PLENTY of affordable, very nice, clean, safe, great suburban areas around Milwaukee (or inside of it) where you do not need to make "a billion dollars" such as the two admittedly expensive areas she cited such as Whitefish Bay and near the lake.

I listed a huge list of them in a previous post, but some great affordable options right next to, or inside, of Milwaukee would be: Menomonee Falls, Wauwatosa, Franklin, New Berlin, St. Francis, Pewaukee, Glendale, West Allis....the list could go on.

Also, there are some areas in west Milwaukee, Downtown Milwaukee all over, and the east side of Milwaukee that are very nice and safe too.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,133 times
I have (2) friends who live in Whitefish Bay. Both are homeowners. Neither has salaries in excess of 50,000 per year, and live confortably. Milwaukee a toilet?? Hardly!! Some areas not the best-true, but to generalize like that is silly.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 PM

29 posts, read 251,071 times
No offense hoosierguy, but you seem to have an utterly wrong perception of Milwaukee. A few things to remember:

1. Milwaukee's metro area is pushing 2 million. That makes it a major American city. That means it has suburbs beyond the city.

2. "I've also learned that the population is growing quicker than anticipated due to a large Latin influx. This may sound like a racist remark, but I don't want to move my family to a city where we have to learn another language to survive. I know that remark is a bit extreme, but I'm just concerned."

I'm sorry, but that comment was just plain idiotic. Like every major american city, Milwaukee is experiencing an influx of Hispanic immigrants. Currently, they are 12% of the population, according to the Census, and most of them live in an enclave on the near south side. Again, remember, this is a diverse major American city. There are dozens of different languages of all kinds spoken by many residents, but the main language in all cases in English.

3. Milwaukee has roughly 30 suburbs or so. If you don't want to live in the city, there are other options. Our suburbs are just a boring and bland as any other suburb in America (save for Shorewood, Wauwatos and a few others).

Sorry to sound harsh but you seem to be completely naive when it comes to city living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee