Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,725,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizkutt View Post
The point is it would take someone with the cultural IQ of a suitcase to think you'll "have to learn (spanish) to survive" in Milwaukee, a midwestern city with 2 million people...This is just common sense, regardless of whether you lived in city or in the suburbs. And you said you wanted to live in the suburbs anyway, so why should this even concern you? You should know by now that most american suburbs are lily-white (Milwaukee's no exception). This isn't texas or new mexico, it's Wisconsin for god's sake.

But, when all is said and done, a suburb is a suburb, ain't it? Doesn't really matter where you are, you can get the same suburban flavor from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee to Boston, etc.

Maybe I should have put this icon after that sentence . What I was trying to say is that I'm tired of going to Mickey D's, Wal-Mart or other places and the employees speaking little to no English. I do not expect my kids to learn a new language, I just want to know what others are saying, and for them to understand me. So I was not being literal in that comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 31,568 times
I currently attend UW-Green Bay in my first year from Maple Grove, and it is a culture shock in the least. There is nothing to do, and I don't like going out to party. There are no cultural events, and it's hard to believe its a metro of over 250,000. Also, it does not look nice, there is not a real flow to the city. The downtown is nonexistant, and industry is spread throughout the city so nomatter where you are, you can smell something foul.

There are a lot of churches but coming from a large metro to this has been quite an experience. I'd go with the Milwaukee area as there are more things to do outside the bar aspect.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
lem

75 posts, read 354,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easenski View Post
I currently attend UW-Green Bay in my first year from Maple Grove, and it is a culture shock in the least. There is nothing to do, and I don't like going out to party. There are no cultural events, and it's hard to believe its a metro of over 250,000. Also, it does not look nice, there is not a real flow to the city. The downtown is nonexistant, and industry is spread throughout the city so nomatter where you are, you can smell something foul.

There are a lot of churches but coming from a large metro to this has been quite an experience. I'd go with the Milwaukee area as there are more things to do outside the bar aspect.

Step off campus man, do something besides make yourself look stupid on here. Learn about the city, It's not Chicago, it's not even a twin cities suburb, but there is a lot to do if you just stop feeling sorry for yourself and drive around the damn city.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girrl View Post
Milwaukee is a toilet. The racial tensions and crime are hideous. If you make a billion dollars you could live in Whitefish Bay or by the Lake..good luck. The winters are also hideous.

Madison is very nice, but the college thing overtakes the whole city. They are very political there also. A little pricey but clean and very nice city...winter is terrible, driving on the beltline is a nightmare. I use to live there. Lots to do.

Green Bay is an armpit. Talk about yer rednecks. I use to live there too. Lots of crime, lots of poverty. Lambeau Field got fixed up though. Glad they poured money into that vs other important issues. Can't beat GB for beer/brats/deep-fried cheese though....those are the good points by the way.

Move to the Fox Cities...research it a little on the Internet. Sounds like more your style, very family-oriented, clean, safe, good schools, nice people, many churches. Check out www.jefflindsay.com for some great info.

Good luck!
Obviously she has not lived anywhere big, like say, I dont know, Phoenix, where you have drugs and crime, racial tension, and poor living conditions unless you are rich! MKE would be a picnic for us after the horrors we had living in the big city!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlmomma4 View Post
Obviously she has not lived anywhere big, like say, I dont know, Phoenix, where you have drugs and crime, racial tension, and poor living conditions unless you are rich! MKE would be a picnic for us after the horrors we had living in the big city!!!!!!
Have you actually compared the crime stats of Phoenix versus Milwaukee? I think you'll find they're quite comparable, with Milwaukee having even higher rates of murder, robbery and assault than Phoenix. Milwaukee may not be as big as Phoenix, but it's still a relatively big city with very real urban crime issues. A city doesn't have to be "big" to have crime problems. Gary Indiana, for instance, with barely 100,000 residents, is one of the nastiest places in America with regard to crime. So don't get any ideas that living in Milwaukee is all rose gardens and playgrounds just because it's "small" compared to other cities. If you do choose to live there, you need to be smart about it just like any other decent-sized city in America.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:30 PM

22 posts, read 104,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easenski View Post

Sadly, this is quite a true assessment. That said, I've lived here 7 years now, and I have found "diamonds in the rough". A few examples: Angelina's AUTHENTIC Mediterranian food with an awesome atmosphere downtown. Art Street in summer. The Bayshore. You are correct about there not being "flow" to the city. Sadly this city had a lot of flow and vibrancy to it back about 70 years ago, albeit small. But a for a variety of reasons the city spread out, cheapened, and became what it is...mostly incoherent mess with no authenticity.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicMinded View Post
Sadly, this is quite a true assessment. That said, I've lived here 7 years now, and I have found "diamonds in the rough". A few examples: Angelina's AUTHENTIC Mediterranian food with an awesome atmosphere downtown. Art Street in summer. The Bayshore. You are correct about there not being "flow" to the city. Sadly this city had a lot of flow and vibrancy to it back about 70 years ago, albeit small. But a for a variety of reasons the city spread out, cheapened, and became what it is...mostly incoherent mess with no authenticity.

Maybe you 2 can get together and cry about how bad the city is. I moved here from Milwaukee 7 years ago and have found plenty of activities to be satisfied, It's not the Milwaukee diversity or authetic european food but just look around, be active. Damn if it's sooooo boring why don't you donate your time and make a difference in the community you guys call home. Make your voice heard so the leaders know what the people want.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem View Post
Maybe you 2 can get together and cry about how bad the city is. I moved here from Milwaukee 7 years ago and have found plenty of activities to be satisfied, It's not the Milwaukee diversity or authetic european food but just look around, be active. Damn if it's sooooo boring why don't you donate your time and make a difference in the community you guys call home. Make your voice heard so the leaders know what the people want.
Chill out, buddy. People are allowed to offer their honest opinions about the city they live in. You're not entitled to have everyone agree with you. Part of the process of "making a difference" is allowing people to have honest disagreements without patronizing, condescending responses in turn. If they can expect to be met with attitudes like this, why should they bother?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 AM

23 posts, read 146,565 times
Madison! I love the raging liberal cities!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chill out, buddy. People are allowed to offer their honest opinions about the city they live in. You're not entitled to have everyone agree with you. Part of the process of "making a difference" is allowing people to have honest disagreements without patronizing, condescending responses in turn. If they can expect to be met with attitudes like this, why should they bother?

My favorite are the city run downs without the proper arguements to back it up. That's all. How is it helping to completely diss a city because you can't get out enough to enjoy it? Tell me I'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee