Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM

58 posts, read 99,135 times

Advertisements

Hello, I got a job in Waukesha starting in about 2 weeks and am definitely welcoming a change of scenery. I am 29 years old and single and would like to figure out good areas to live in. I think I can swing about $750-800 max for rent. I definitely want to live in areas with many other young people and close to urban, but at the same time I really desire a backyard so I can shoot my air rifles at. It's kind of a tough compromise I guess lol. I know I don't want to live in Waukesha or Brookfield as those seem to be more white conservative family areas. I guess I would say I would prefer an urban environment if there are parks or reserves in the country where I can target shoot at. I am also gay and Hispanic if that matters at all, though I don't flaunt my business and am usually one to blend in. I would definitely like to live close to bars and be able to bike everywhere. I am kind of worried about the winter coming from a tropical environment, but I'll worry about that later. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
I don't know anything about Waukesha so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say 2 weeks is a VERY quick turn around. Especially if you don't even have living arrangements made.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
You're going to have a large commute one way or another. Either you'll live in a neighborhood you like and commute a long way to work, of you'll live near work and commute a long way to a neighborhood you like.

From closest to farthest from your new job:

Waukesha itself is sort of boring, but not too bad. Think blue-collar and white-bread.

Brookfield is a nicer version of Waukesha. Think white-collar and white-bread.

Wauwatosa is a nice little village. A bit more hipster than Brookfield.

Bay View and Brady Street areas are probably the most interesting and sound like what you are looking for. But very far from Waukesha.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Commute from Milwaukee. Seriously. It should be much more than 30-45 min (outside of extreme weather) and that's nothing compared to your psyche. Whatever you do, do not live in Waukesha.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:44 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,081 times
It sounds like you would be best off in Milwaukee or maybe East Wauwatosa, but I doubt you'll have much luck with the air rifle thing, even if you own a house and have a private yard. The urban communities generally have ordinances against that. The parks are not good places for that, either--the Milwaukee Gun Club recently vacated its long-time spot on the waterfront between Sheridan and Grant Parks, and I don't think they have a new site yet.

Waukesha has a gun club you can join, so maybe before or after work, you can head over to the range and practice then.

The Public is Welcome - Waukesha Gun Club

Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
If you get a big enough house with a basement, you might be able to set up air rifle... Or if you rent outside of the city, kind of in a farm setting. I know Waukesha county has places where hunting with real guns is allowed and they have houses nearby, so I am pretty sure if you look hard enough - you can find a place where neighbours wouldn't care. But I don't think it will be urban, or particularly nice for $750-800.

If the air rifle isn't a hard requirement (and you won't mind shooting real rifles/handguns at a gun range), then you can live anywhere I am sure you can find a nice studio/ one bedroom for 750-800 either to Madison side or Milwaukee side of Waukesha, or settle in Waukesha itself. I'd prefer Milwaukee side of Waukesha (for ability to go to the city and enjoy Walker Point and 3rd Ward and other gay places), but Madison also is not too bad of a place (and has an affordable gun range...)

Ok, here's my top 5
1) Waukesha - you have to work there every day... and commute is usually worst during rush hours. Who cares about "conservative" and "family" - you'll be living your life and other people opinion doesn't matter.

2) West Allis - not "nice place" like Wauwatosa, but affordable. And people won't think they're better than you. They won't care if you're mexican or gay. And it's half way between Waukesha and Milwaukee.

3) Muskego (and other towns that side up to and including East Troy) - country side, with lots of land where hunting is allowed. Your best bet for air rifle shooting.

4) Hartland - same as Muskego on the other side.

5) Oconomowoc. Looks like a nice town in summer every time I drive by it I had to name at least one to the Madison side

Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Waukesha has a gun club you can join, so maybe before or after work, you can head over to the range and practice then. The Public is Welcome - Waukesha Gun Club
It's shotgun only... Racine County Line Rifle Club (https://www.racinecountylinerifleclub.com/) would probably be best bet. McMiller Sport Center ok to shoot occasionally, but too expensive to do it regularly.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Simple advice... Rent a room at a motel at weekly rate. Make longer term decisions once get in here and settle down a little at work. Motel 6 has reasonable weekly rates, for instance (and not infested with criminals / hookers).

Take your after work time to look around different areas / towns, looking for available rents offered, nightlife around that area and if it feels safe to you in the evening. I'd go to local bars (in different towns) every evening, and see where I like local crowd more.

Also, your new colleagues at work might give you a good advice.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:04 PM

> I am kind of worried about the winter coming from a tropical environment, but I'll worry about that later.

a) Eat fat food. Good calories intake helps your body be warm.
b) Wool is the king in cold weather. If you have a merino wool base layer, it's as good as you have fleece jacket.
c) There's no cold weather. There are people who aren't dressed properly. Dress in layers. Don't sweat (take layers off _before_ you start sweating), have good base layer (wool), shirt, have thick jacket/hoodie nearby (in a car), adequate windbreaker layer, etc. If working outdoors, maybe underpants and warm gloves / socks are in order. Shoes shouldn't constrict your blood float. And when you're active - it's not cold, it's cold only when you aren't moving around much.

Find yourself an outdoors hobby and you will enjoy winter Hiking/backpacking, cross country skying, hunting - all good stuff to learn to enjoy Wisconsin in winter (sitting all winter inside will give you cabin rush and depressed mood).

Old 07-18-2018, 04:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Winter is coming.
In about October, winter clothes and related items should become available. Buy a snow brush, ice scraper and small shovel for your car. If you park outside, you will need extra time to defrost or remove the snow. During your first snow or ice storm take it slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee