Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,537,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Color me shocked that your wife would agree to move to Wisconsin.
Why? Be specific.

Waukesha doesn't fit the criteria - read the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,668,120 times
Quote:

Waukesha County should be looked at before picking where you wish to reside. Haven't seen it mentioned here yet.
No.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,102,322 times
Quote:

Waukesha County should be looked at before picking where you wish to reside. Haven't seen it mentioned here yet.
Did you read the OP's first post?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 10,379 times
So i thought i would update this thread since a lot of people gave some nice considerate answers.

The slow-as-molasses suburban Chicago real estate market has kind of put the fire out for moving, temporarily. We have had such little action since listing our house, we're not rushing to buy in Milwaukee since we need the money from the sale of our home in order to buy a new one. I have been driving to and from my new job in Milwaukee. It takes just over one hour; not bad!

Anyway, we hope to have some activity soon, but in the meantime we were able to check out some areas more thoroughly. We think the East Side is the best candidate. The houses are nice and the people seem really friendly. Over the last month, we have gone to Milwaukee at least onceneach week together, and I have ben getting out during the day as my patient schedule permits (I only work 4 days).

Here's a follolol up question. I have some co workers who live on the East Side. They say there is some contention between UWM and the community because the university has kind of backed away from community cooperation and has taken the positon that the neighborhood's noise and nuisance complaints are collateral damage from the school's expansion.

While tlaking with current residents, I've been told that crime has spiked this year near UWM. Apparently several parties near Cramer Street have ended with gunfire this year, and area residents claim that this is new for that area. I'm also told that the Milwaukee Police Department is largely ambivalent, despite having seen some local community group websites that alao claim that residents are encouraged to call police.

On Saturday, my wife and I spoke to a very outgoing couple at Cold Stone Creamery (wife can't make it a day without ice cream). This couple was pretty matter-of-fact about the neighborhood. They said that there are some very bad landlords who own property on Cramer Street. They confirmed the gunshots, and the young gentleman we spoke to said there were a few properties on Cramer Street that are well known drug houses with hige parties numbering into the 100+ range, and more or less said that the crowd was all "urban youth" and thoae were the homes from which gunfire was heard.

This really surprised us. We were looking at a gorgeous home on Newberry Boulevard, and a couple of others in that near area. I have a really hard time believing that a community that is so beautiful could possibly also have that kind of mayhem.

We did look around Riverwest a bit. Love Colectivo Coffee. The area is said to be changing, but some of it looked like it was taking its time changing. Maybe not our thing.

So whats the deal with UWM and that area?

Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,131,534 times
Quote:
Due to UWM's location it is susceptible to spill over crime or criminals specifically going after college kids, this kind of thing is normal there it's just that this year there is a increase in spill over crime. I wouldn't be afraid of ever living over there but I would just be more aware or on alert after dark. Now with that being said there are different areas of UWM, to the north is Shorewood, great nice area where a lot of college staff live and family friendly. To the south is in a state of transition from long time home owners to full house college rentals which is where you have the clash of college kids and established families.

To the east is mainly college kids and rentals with some families and homeowners. To the east is where you will have you spill over crime the most often. To the East, of Downer is quiet well kept expensive housing and virtually each block east is a jump up in social class if you will. This is the most sought after area of UWM, beautiful homes and established families and not much of a college feel and the safest area of the UWM area along with Shorewood to the north.

I would not let the uptick in crime scare you away from that area I would just look East, North, South and west in the order if I were moving there.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtab94 View Post
Here's a follolol up question. I have some co workers who live on the East Side. They say there is some contention between UWM and the community because the university has kind of backed away from community cooperation and has taken the positon that the neighborhood's noise and nuisance complaints are collateral damage from the school's expansion.
Depends on your proximity to the campus. I lived on Hackett Ave (1 block east of campus) for four years and the tenants were varied. Lots of families with kids, but at the same time, lots of college kids still completing their undergrad. Those UWM doors look large but the majority of students are forced to flood the rental units surrounding the campus, or cummute. I cannot speak for the community cooperation as I moved on more than 5 years ago, but I have to agree that the occasional noise is to be expected if you move into a neighborhood surrounding a campus filled with 40,000 students. I mean... 'cmon.

On the bright side the homes surrounding campus have greatly appreciated in value over the past decade as the four UWM towers can no longer hold all the incoming freshman. Whether or not that continued appreciation is worth an occasional broken beer bottle in your lawn is really up to you . Also, if you purchase a multi-family home and choose to rent it out to graduate students, the income can be substantial. Students expect to pay $1400/mo + utilities for a 3 bedroom unit without parking.

Quote:
While tlaking with current residents, I've been told that crime has spiked this year near UWM. Apparently several parties near Cramer Street have ended with gunfire this year, and area residents claim that this is new for that area. I'm also told that the Milwaukee Police Department is largely ambivalent, despite having seen some local community group websites that alao claim that residents are encouraged to call police.
Crime always spikes when school is in session and the temps are above 65*F. Always. The campus police are "real" police officers stationed within UWM's West Tower and respond rather quickly. At least in my experience.

Quote:
We did look around Riverwest a bit. Love Colectivo Coffee. The area is said to be changing, but some of it looked like it was taking its time changing. Maybe not our thing.
It's on the up-and-up. I can confirm that. Festivals, community gardens, and eclectic shops/bars all add to the overwhelming hipster vibe. Of course with any area gentrifying comes occasional crime. Not sure I would move there with small children...although I know several families that swear it's fine and dandy with their 2yr olds. Property prices are still very competitive given the proximity to downtown/east side.

You would have to spend more time going up and down Humboldt, Center St, and the adjacent neighborhoods to really get a feel for it.

Quote:
Aside from the occasional rowdy college student, the East Side is desirable for a reason. It's nice. If I wasn't so attached to downtown living I would purchase an home to the east of UWM and enjoy Milwaukee and its finest.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:50 PM

To me, Riverwest has changed little in the 25+ years I've been going there, hanging out, practicing with bands, playing shows, going to events, etc. Sure, people always say it's "just about to turn," but I personally have witnessed very little difference in all that time. If the East Side stories were worrying to the OP, he/she can just forget about Riverwest.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
To me, Riverwest has changed little in the 25+ years I've been going there, hanging out, practicing with bands, playing shows, going to events, etc. Sure, people always say it's "just about to turn," but I personally have witnessed very little difference in all that time.
The housing stock is largely unchanged although the below area has become noticeably younger and more affluent over the past ~5 years. Seems to be more scholars pursuing graduate degrees and less 10-person families cramped into a 2-bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Incoming from Chicago!-riverwest.jpg  

Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM

I don't know, a higher % of college-aged kids maybe? That's the specific area of Riverwest where the majority of people I know live and have lived. You can push it up to Locust probably, too. To me, the area hasn't changed much, maybe there are slightly less family-packed joints.

I even know people who have bought west of Holton, thinking "Riverwest" would spread that way, but they've been waiting a good decade now, to no avail. Regardless, I've been hearing this "Riverwest is ready to turn" spiel on a loop for 2-3 decades now. It is what it is. I like it, but it's sketchy.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I don't know, a higher % of college-aged kids maybe?

...I like it, but it's sketchy.
Agreed - college kids have flooded into the area. I would consider that a good thing, at least in comparison to the tenants of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee