Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 12,107 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I, and our small dog, may be moving to the Milwaukee area for two years in mid-June from Columbus, OH. I am just finishing grad school and I'd be taking a job in the Waukesha area and my wife would be looking for a full-time position somewhere within 20-30 minutes of Waukesha. We've liked our three years in Columbus, but we're missing the outdoors/active lifestyle that we had living in the Rocky Mountain region. I grew up near Chicago, but in Indiana and my wife is from the Salt Lake area, which is where we met in undergrad, so spent a lot of time in the mountains. I know there aren't mountains in Wisconsin, but is there an accessible outdoors life?

If we move, we'd love to live in a walkable community with local restaurants and such, and a dog friendly area as well, but most important is being in a safe area. I'd also like to keep my commute to 20 minutes tops. We'd be looking to rent a niceish one bedroom for under $1000, or one+Den or two bedroom for under $1200.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:09 AM

223 posts, read 391,805 times
You won't find too many walkable neighborhoods in Waukesha County, or probably anywhere that isn't Milwaukee proper or one of its inner suburbs. I would also imagine Waukesha to be quite the culture shock if you're coming from Columbus. If you don't mind commuting, I'd look into Downer Ave, Bay View, or perhaps Whitefish Bay /Shorewood or Wauwatosa.

You also don't have to worry about access to the outdoors. Not only is Milwaukee less than an hour or two away from all the northwoods life you could ever want, but Milwaukee County has one of the best park systems anywhere in the country.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM

520 posts, read 776,023 times
Wauwatosa is a good suggestion that would leave you with a pretty easy commute.

I wouldn't overlook the downtown area of Waukesha itself. It has some grittier parts, but is quite safe. There are plenty of shops and restaurants and a decent selection of rentals. Your money will probably go further there than in the desirable Milwaukee suburbs like Wauwatosa and Shorewood.

I'm not sure why people in Milwaukee act like Waukesha is a different world. I've spent a bit of time in Columbus, which I prefer over Milwaukee in general although the two are pretty similar. I don't think there will be any culture shock. Waukesha County is probably quite a bit like any affluent suburban county located outside of I-270. Its not very diverse and does tend to be more conservative than the city and inner-ring suburbs, but most outer-ring/exurban suburban counties in the US are pretty much the same.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:39 PM

10 posts, read 12,107 times
Thanks a ton for the suggestions. I'm heading up there next week to check out the area so I'll be sure to poke around those neighborhoods.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
I would also imagine Waukesha to be quite the culture shock if you're coming from Columbus.

Why?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
I would think of Waukesha, Pewaukee, Brookfield and Wauwatosa.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Take a look at Oconomowoc as well as Pewaukee. (and any Lake Country community)

Waukesha it's self has some nice enough neighborhoods not far from the down town area.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 PM

223 posts, read 391,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why?
Waukesha (and most other outer ring suburbs) was a church, a cow pasture, and three houses before white flight became a thing, and it still remains stuck in that era in a lot of ways. Columbus might have similar suburbs, but Waukesha is a significantly different environment than a city of 700,000 with a Big Ten campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
I'm not sure why people in Milwaukee act like Waukesha is a different world.
I'm not sure why people don't notice these things until it's someone from Milwaukee saying them... as if Waukesha hasn't acted like Milwaukee is in another universe for the better parts of six decades (except for when they poison their water and start demanding ours ).

Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 967 times
Where did you end up settling down? I was a transplant from Cleveland some years ago and really enjoy Waukesha, so please ignore the FES (Fashionable East Side) snob. Milwaukee is an easy commute, and there are many festivals and cultural events in Waukesha County as well. I also think you will find Wisconsin overall to be more outdoors-oriented than Ohio. Check out the Kettle Moraine, Door County, the Wisconsin Dells, the mysterious Up North (woods and lakes galore), all of western Wisconsin, and the whole length of the Mississippi River. Welcome!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Speaking of outdoors, there are a quite few active Meetup communities for different outdoor activities in Milwaukee and Madison. I'd join both if interested. And take a hunting safety course too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee