Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with the Oak Creek-Franklin school district? We found some homes that look very promising in Franklin, but not within the Franklin school district. My spouse is concerned that the school rating (6, compared to 9 for Franklin HS) will hurt the long term value of the house, and make it harder to sell if we have to leave the area later in life. Accepting that involvement makes a huge difference in education, how is Oak Creek-Franklin's reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:20 PM

358 posts, read 512,963 times
They play some of the best football in the state.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM

545 posts, read 1,486,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerylEcho View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Oak Creek-Franklin school district? We found some homes that look very promising in Franklin, but not within the Franklin school district. My spouse is concerned that the school rating (6, compared to 9 for Franklin HS) will hurt the long term value of the house, and make it harder to sell if we have to leave the area later in life. Accepting that involvement makes a huge difference in education, how is Oak Creek-Franklin's reputation?
I don't usually put much stock into the Great Schools ratings, but it's probably about right in this case. I know a teacher at OCHS and she tells me it's pretty bad for a number of reasons - mostly lack of discipline and lax grading standards that she can't deviate from. When a public school teacher says they wouldn't send their kids to the school they teach at, I take notice. On the other hand, FHS is pretty well regarded. It's not in the top tier of schools in the Milwaukee area, but it's definitely above average. As you may have noticed, property taxes in OC are cheaper than Franklin. OC has much more retail and industrial property than Franklin, which is more single family residential, so the city taxes in OC are lower. I personally wouldn't buy in Franklin if they went to Oak Creek schools. You'd be paying Franklin taxes and not getting the benefit of its schools.

Last edited by brian571; 12-29-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,826 times
Thanks for your input! That sort of insight is invaluable.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,135,541 times
Franklin has a very good infrastructure, nice roads, schools, library, sidewalks and street signs are all in very good condition although 76th St could be re done. Franklin is more of upscale than Oak Creek, the average family in Franklin makes $114,000 while the average family in Oak Creek makes about $94,000. Oak has the benefit of being on Lake Michigan but really doesn't take advantage of it as most of it is either old abandon industrial lots, water/power plant and a smaller park. They might make the worst land use of any Lake Michigan city, there is absolutely nothing there not even one house on the lake front. Even South Milwaukee and St.Francis has made better use of their lakefront property.

I would rather live in Franklin any day of the week, it has a better reputation, not that Oak Creek has a bad one it's just not like Franklin's rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee