Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 PM

41 posts, read 177,214 times

Advertisements

I'm a little embarrased to be asking this question since I've traveled quite a lot, but I just wanted to know, considering all I've heard about Milwaukee's crime rate: Would I be smart or dumb to take the #80 bus from the airport to the Amtrak station downtown?

I've just been reading here how the South Side is an "edgy" and "marginal" neighborhood, so I wanted to make sure the bus doesn't have a reputation for crime or anything. I feel silly enough asking, so please don't pounce on me. I'm genuinely curious, never having been to Milwaukee before. Would you take it with luggage? I know buses are much safer than walking through a neighborhood, but I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a dumb idea. Thanks in advance.

The bus goes straight up 6th Street from the airport to downtown, for those who don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,723,364 times
You'll have no problem. You'll be absolutely fine. No problems with the luggage, etc.

Frankly, transportation runs all the time between Downtown and the airport...it is more than 100% safe.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM

115 posts, read 796,462 times
I wouldn't worry about it either. Mmmm you can almost smell La Fuentes from the #80

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,703,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncriefjj View Post
I'm a little embarrased to be asking this question since I've traveled quite a lot, but I just wanted to know, considering all I've heard about Milwaukee's crime rate: Would I be smart or dumb to take the #80 bus from the airport to the Amtrak station downtown.

Not a dumb question, and not a problem... I wouldn't get off the bus with luggage in the middle of the night, but even that wouldn't probably be much of an issue for most of the trip. Really there's only one mile of questionable area, the rest is mostly commercial or a little bit more quiet residential.

Milwaukee's crime rate is bad, in certain areas, just like other cities. The question is a good one--the risks are probably far less than riding public transportation in other large cities, even in "OK" areas.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM

41 posts, read 177,214 times
Default Thank you!

Thank your for all the responses. You've put my mind at ease. I appreciate it.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 PM

448 posts, read 1,821,958 times
There is also the Coach USA bus that travels that route. It may be a little pricier than the MCTS bus but it would be quicker and more comfortable. They aren't set up specifically for that slight distance but I assume it would cost about $5. You may want to call to see.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,321,761 times
I've taken that bus to and from the airport before, and it's fine. The only problem may be a logistical one: You're in a seat with your heavy bags and have to disembark, but it's crowded around you.... But there are ways to deal with that.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,891 times
Default traveling

im traveling to milwaukee soon and i will be near the airpot but im going to need to get to THE MILWAUKEE THEATRE. . . .

im planning on taking the bus . . Can you help me
i have NO CLUE what to do . . . =/

Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,248,379 times
Depending on when you leave during the day, Amtrak itself could be an option. Amtrak has a stop at General Mitchell Airport, and to my knowledge there is a bus shuttle between the train station and the airport terminal. I suspect Amtrak would be much more expensive than a local transit bus, but it may be considerably more convenient.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM

395 posts, read 1,862,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulezCott View Post
im traveling to milwaukee soon and i will be near the airpot but im going to need to get to THE MILWAUKEE THEATRE. . . .

im planning on taking the bus . . Can you help me
i have NO CLUE what to do . . . =/
Pop on the 80. Goes north from the airport along 6th Street, stops mere yards from the steps of the Milwaukee Theater on 6th/Kilbourn.

To get home, do the same thing, but in reverse.

Here's a helpful website for getting around Milwaukee by bus:

Milwaukee County Transit System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee