Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I still don't know what job Im going to have. I was given Aptitude Area General. I'll see what job I can get once basic is done. What kind of jobs are best for someone that wants to be a full time student?
The 'best' job for me is going to be different from the 'best' job for you.

I am a firm believer in the Aptitude Testing. Each job has a minimum set of numbers.

I am an ET [Electronics Technician] as such I was responsible for knowing everything about all forms of electronics, with added focus on specific systems.

My primary NEC was mainframe computer system analyst, but due to what my computer system does I had to know the physics of inertia and gravity wells. So I programed computers, troubleshot them, repaired and micro-solder, and so much more.

Then with each re-enlistment I got a new NEC, so more and more focuses.

I have worked along side of MT [Missile Techs] who had amazing knowledge of micro-hydraulics, cooling systems and orbital systems.

I know many MMs [Machinist Mates] who operate stills, weld, separate atmosphere into each component gas and re-combine our atmosphere into a healthy breathable mixture.

I know many ROs [Reactor Operators] who obviously are nearly PHDs in their knowledge of nuclear power plants.

All rates in the Navy, are very highly defined, and we each come to look at problems from very unique perspectives.

I respect each of them: Cooks, Boatswain Mates, ETs, MMs, MTs, ICs, ....

In a room of guys all wearing civilian clothing, you can easily spot the MMs from the ETs or whatever ratings. Because there really are personality differences.

It all started with those Aptitude tests, to seperate us into groups who are the most 'apt' to be able to handle that set of skills.

The things that I had to be conversant on, were entirely different from the other rates. And many of them made me sound stupid whenever I found myself sitting among them.

It would be counter-productive to second-guess the Aptitude testing.

Those tests will in fact determine which group you fit into best.

During my career, I have known men who were told by an uncle or some other relative. To go into 'Electronics' because that is a 'good' future. So they tested and even though Electronics was not their best fit, they went for it anyway. Well, guess what, as an NCO in charge of those guys, I can say that it was not a good fit. They would have been much better suited in another rate.

Better able to excel, and better fitted to be happy with what they do.

You see, in the military a lot of the time you end up doing things that are horrible. Long hours, or seasick, or whatever, it becomes very easy to hate the service.

If you come to hate your job, then you become dis-enfranchised. Trying to work with you will become difficult.

I have had subordinates who hated their job, and others who loved their job. Can you guess which ones excelled? Can you guess which ones were a pleasure to lead?

When your service is done and behind you, I suggest that you will want it to be pleasant memories, with skills that you want to continue using.

Use the Aptitude testing to make the 'best' fit for you.

Do not choose a rate based upon what some friend says, or which one you think will allow you to finish the most college courses.

May God bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I applaud you for wanting to improve your education but I think you are joining the military for the wrong reason.

Your love of country and willingness to serve should be primary and your own educational desires should be secondary, not the other way around...
I applaud you for your advice too, but I think you misinterpret the reasons I am joining the military. I am joining because this is what I want as a long term career and to help this country's causes. I like many things about the military and despite my lack of actual experience in it I know this is what I want to do.

I am not joining the military for the sole purpose of getting my education finished. I do not need the military to pay for it, however, since it is a fact that I am joining I want to find the best way to further my education while enlisted.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The 'best' job for me is going to be different from the 'best' job for you.
I agree with you. What I meant why my original question of what is the "best" job was actually what job would be the best in allowing a person to manage both a full time education and full time work efficiently.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
I agree with you. What I meant why my original question of what is the "best" job was actually what job would be the best in allowing a person to manage both a full time education and full time work efficiently.
Something that you enjoy [so you stay motivated].

Something that is quick to become fully qualified [so you spend fewer months under-instruction].

Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Full disclosure: I have NOT read every post so if I repeat, I'm sorry.

First, yes. You can complete another degree. You did not mention what kind of degree. There are plenty of colleges available to military to include College of the Armed Forces unless that has changed. You would find it tough, I think, to get a degree in accounting or some sort of degree where a lot of class attendance is required. But, you can get a degree.

Second, GET INTO THE MOST TECHNICAL SKILL TRAINING YOU CAN IN THE AIR FORCE AND THEN STAY IN THE AIR FORCE. DO NOT GET OUT. Be the best airman you can. But, if you plan on just a single enlistment, then get some training that will help you out here in fantasyland where people believe our economy will go back to the good old days. It isn't.

What are my credentials? Army 25 years. Air Force son with 15 now. He never dreamed that he would enlist never mind stay with it. He enlisted. Got his bachelors degree inside of 6 years. Got a direct commission. AF sent him for a master's degree on their dime. He is now working on a second masters degree and will pin on major's rank this time next year.

So, you are only limited by your lack of knowledge of how the AF system works. Learn the rules. Find someone senior to mentor you. Everything you need is written down someplace in a regulation or policy. Become acquainted with the education center people. Ask questions. Be polite. Send thank you notes. My son did all those things. It pays.

Good luck.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
PS: In my time the TWO things that killed many a career (all ranks) was booze and sex (BS). I would also say drugs but those are illegal anyway and the military are experts with urinalysis to detect druggies. If you have an issue with BS, then you are done from the start.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,955,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Not all branches offer 100% TA. I believe the Army offers only 75%... if I am wrong, my apologies...please let me know. Not trying to spread false info. But yes, the GI Bill is the same for all.

One HUGE difference is that Air Force basic training, technical schools, and leadership school are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges, and you earn college credits just for going to them. I have earned over 100 college credits that are fully transferable through basic, tech training, and leadership schools. NONE of the other branches has an internal, regionally accredited institution like the community college of the Air Force. However, these are all lower level credits- so take what you may.
The Army offers 100% tuition. At least it did when I was in, and I was honorably discharged in 2009.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
I applaud you for your advice too, but I think you misinterpret the reasons I am joining the military. I am joining because this is what I want as a long term career and to help this country's causes. I like many things about the military and despite my lack of actual experience in it I know this is what I want to do.

I am not joining the military for the sole purpose of getting my education finished. I do not need the military to pay for it, however, since it is a fact that I am joining I want to find the best way to further my education while enlisted.
I'm glad to hear you're waving the flag as I do, I appreciate it.

One word of advice from someone who spend 30 years in the military. Forget the fulltime student angle, it's not possible in the long run. Do the best you can in the military and sign up for a college load that you can handle without impacting your military job performance. There are times when you'll have all the time in the world and then other times when you can't even handle what's on your plate military wise.

Military and country first, you and your desires second...

Drive on!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Your love of country and willingness to serve should be primary and your own educational desires should be secondary, not the other way around...
Not necessarily. FYI very few people join with love of country/etc as the primary reason; they do it for the training, education, educational benefits, career move etc - and understandably so. Yes you would hope people wanting to serve the country is in the mix as well, but very rarely will it be the primary reason - and I see no shame in that either.

Quote:
Forget the fulltime student angle, it's not possible in the long run. Do the best you can in the military and sign up for a college load that you can handle without impacting your military job performance.
That is excellent advice. Working full time and also going to school full time is very unrealistic. Heck going to school part time is hard.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Not necessarily. FYI very few people join with love of country/etc as the primary reason; they do it for the training, education, educational benefits, career move etc - and understandably so. Yes you would hope people wanting to serve the country is in the mix as well, but very rarely will it be the primary reason - and I see no shame in that either.

I concede that there are other reasons to join the military and most are valid.

I do firmly believe that patriotism has to be high on everyone's agenda though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues