Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times

Advertisements

I agree. I've met several Delta Operators and they do not talk about it while they're in or after they get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,464,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Well,

The way I look at it is anyone who lies about being in spec ops, in combat, let alone the military in general is doing nothing more than dishonoring those who indeed sacrificed in order to serve, and more than anything, those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

These impostors are nothing more than scum who just feel the need for attention, as far as I'm concerned

A true warrior doesn't need to brag about their accomplishments.

Exactly well executed. I look at it the same way, for those who do lie about there Military background, and combat, are dishonoring, those who served so proudly and with sacrifices to themselves, and to there families.
It does a diservice to those who serve there Country proudly. A true hero, or warrior as you put it bluntly, never needs a reason to brag about their many accomplishments. Those that do lie, take somehing for granted, from those Proud Men and Woman who do so proudly serve this great Country.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,236,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Being a Navy Seal sure must be prestigeous.

I read an article this morning that stated there are 300 imposters claiming they are/were Navy Seals for every 1 who actually is/was.

Amazing !
I'm a supervisor with Navy Recruiting Command and travel to Navy Recruiting Stations daily and you would not believe the number of people that come into the offices and announce they are a Navy SEAL.

The funniest part is they all say they have 'connections' and know everyone that matters in the Navy. Even knowing all these people they have to come into a Navy Recruiting Station and ask some poor E5 that's been in the Navy for the better part of four years "how many ships does the Navy plan on having in the year 2025?".

That's the time when I thank them for their service and show them the door.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,155,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Out here in trucking, I'd guess more than half of the "C.B. Rambos" I hear claim they were Navy SEALS, Special Forces or one of the other elite military specialties. I once ran into a trucker that claimed he flew F-4s & F-15s. When I asked him a question about the aircraft that even a good maintainer would know, he quickly changed his tune...
I'm with you there CC,

I hear them all the time and I just sit there and wonder what type of pathetic idiot is this on the other end of the CB.
I served as a SeaBee and retired as one, I worked for the Teams out of Little Creek, Va. for 11 of those 21 yrs of service. And one would be hard pressed to find a Team member that talked about his work or service in the Teams.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,918,302 times
Here in San Diego a local man was just charged with posing as a retired Marine Major General. He appeared at a local VFW post in November in full dress uniform for a Marine Corps Birthday event which included real combat vets going back in service to WWII. He has posted bail and newspaper accounts state he faces up to a year in jail if convicted.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
I met a trucker once who claimed he flew bombing missions during Vietnam.

He said they would shoot his plane off an aircraft carrier and he would " double clutch" that jet all the way to Hanoi and back .

Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
Quote:

He said they would shoot his plane off an aircraft carrier and he would " double clutch" that jet all the way to Hanoi and back .
That's hard on the clutch and pressure plate...

Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM

427 posts, read 976,616 times
What is worse than that is people claiming medals they did not earn. For every one living Medal of Honor guy there are 3 fakes. Usually when I run into a guy who is claiming to be hero (such as John Kerry) I blow them off because a real hero does not brag about what he did. Had John Kerry not been a family friend of the Kennedy family he probably would have been court martialed for grounding his boat (leaving it a sitting duck and unable to maneuver) and deserting his post (he was the commander yet he left the boat to run into the jungle to shoot someone.) I think he grew up watching too much Star Trek and thought he was Captain Kirk

Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
Quote:

That trucker, no doubt, served in a squadron that flew "B-1RDs and GU-11s"...

Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,155,638 times
Quote:

What, no slip shifting, can't listen for the RPMs to hit it just right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues