Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM

68 posts, read 171,740 times

Advertisements

What are the pro's and con's of on and off base living? I'm in the Savannah area if that helps at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times
On base advantages:

Safe and clean streets and playgrounds.
Kids can attend on base elementary and middle schools in many locations.
Short commuting time/distance to work.
Typically get more square footage and garage or basement than you would on BAH living off base.
Friends and relative can't just pop in on you since they need an ID card to get through the gate...this can be seen as a pro or con.
Utilities are free on most bases, however many are starting to "meter" your usage and pay the member an allowance to pay their own.
If something goes wrong or breaks, you call housing maintenance and it gets fixed or replaced.

Disadvantages:

If you don't like HOA's, you may not like base housing. You will get tickets for not mowing your lawn or raking leaves, or leaving your trash cans out too long. Some bases enforce the rules more than others.

For me it's the typical downfalls of suburban living...lawn mowers going non-stop on weekends, barking dogs (seems like half the base residents own dogs), not a lot of privacy...everyone knows your business.

Sometimes living on base, you feel as though you never left work.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
For me, everything coolhand said plus:

pro - good place to get to know the area for a year before you jump in and buy a house or get stuck in a lease to find out the neighborhood you picked is not as nice as you thought it was.
pro - related to the safe and clean streets and on base schools - I have school-aged kids and I feel like I could grant them more freedom to roam in on-base housing and, depending on the layout of the base, the pre-teen could even hop on his bike to go to the shopette or BX "mall". Your kids might be able to walk to and from school easily.

con - related to what he said about never leaving work, sometimes those who live on base will get called back in first ahead of those off-base if there is a problem (eg - it would take my husband 40 min to get to work vs. 10 min for someone else if there were a problem that needed to be addressed in the off-hours).

Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
Yep, all of the above! Only one more comment: We preferred living off base overseas because we enjoyed being among the "locals" and learning more about our host country. Granted, some foreign assignments are better for off-base living than others...

Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are currently living off base and wondering if going on base is a good idea (mainly for when hubby deploys). I can't drive and figure it would be good having everything withing distance. I'm just wondering if we will see a big difference in money cuz as far as I know, you get less money for BAH.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,905,365 times
u get no money for BAH, but you also don't have any rent or utilities.

add up your rent, electric, water, trash, and gas bill if u have it

and then see how that compares to waht u get in BAH, u might have more available income on base

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,788,505 times
Deploying is one reason we lived on base for so many years. There are enough things to worry about when deployed. If you are in base housing something breaks call maintenance and they fix it in no time at all free of charge. Safety another big plus. Elementary school on base was another plus for us.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,388,367 times
On-base housing is a baby factory. Spend a weekend sitting nearby and watch. Also, everyone gets pregnant together, so most of the children are the same age. It's a safe place to raise a family and have lots of babysitters close at hand. Personally, you couldn't pay me to live on-base, but some cities would be unsafe outside the perimeter. I guess it depends on what city you live in and what your family demographics are.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,341,371 times
listen to CoolHand

on base housing these days is in the middle of a huge transformation from miltary built and maintained units to commercial built and maintained units.

i lived in both, and let me tell you, the private contractor took better care of the houses, and built some seriously awesome units. the "new guys" (junior-mid enlisted and officer) get the newest stuff (as it should be) and let me tell you, some of the first contractor houses at Ft. Meade were flat out awesome. There were E4s living in houses that would be 500K+ out in Columbia MD. Anyway, note that not all houses are nice. Some of them still suck. But it beats the commute and the other issues associated with renting or owning. Plus, the days of buying a house and flipping it 3-4 years later are over (I know some more senior guys were doing that, and a few got soaked. I lost 2K on a house myself.)

Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM

We don't have any children and don't plan on having any in the next. few years, so that aspect isn't concern to us.

Thanks for all of the info everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues