Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 11:20 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times

Advertisements

What the crap is going on in this country? Forget the draft, we'd turn most of the snowflakes away anyway.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-...?mod=home-page

Quote:
"Our education and health issues come together in this alarming statistic: Seventy percent of today’s youth (ages 17-24) are not eligible for military service, essentially due to a lack of proper education (basic reading and writing skills) or health issues (commonly obesity or diabetes),” Dimon wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 11:33 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
These are alarming figures. But in peacetime there appears to be a sufficient pool of eligible recruits to meet quotas. War comes and standards are lowered. Vietnam was a prime example.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
These are alarming figures. But in peacetime there appears to be a sufficient pool of eligible recruits to meet quotas. War comes and standards are lowered. Vietnam was a prime example.
True. My Dad tried to enlist in the early 60s, but he had had Rheumatic fever as a child and was deemed ineligible. The recruiter told him to try back in a year, because Vietnam was starting to heat up.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don't even have to go back as far as Vietnam. When Iraq and Afghanistan were surging, the requirements to get in were lowered.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:57 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
And then, there was---
"Project 100,000 (also McNamara's 100,000), also known as McNamara's Folly, McNamara's Morons and McNamara's Misfits,[1][2] was a controversial 1960s program by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to recruit soldiers who would previously have been below military mental or medical standards. Project 100,000 was initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in October 1966 to meet the escalating manpower requirements of the American government's involvement in the Vietnam War. Inductees of the project died at higher rates[1] than other Americans serving in Vietnam and following their service had lower incomes and higher rates of divorce than their non-veteran counterparts. The project was ended in December 1971[3] and has been the subject of controversy, especially during the manpower shortages of the Iraq War."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100%2C000

Old 04-07-2021, 04:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 3,338,430 times
I think they only need about 180K to join each year? So even though many aren’t eligible, there is still more than enough who can hack it.

People 18-24 number about 30 million total in the US. 30% of that is 9 million.

So we only need 180,000 out of 9 million able bodied youngsters to join up.

I see the young troops of today. I think in a lot of ways they are better than my generation of 30 years ago. They lack in some areas, but for the most part I think they are more intelligent and more physically fit than we were.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:14 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Where did he get that statistic? I'm just curious as to if we could drill down a bit in the data to see what the main causes are.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:07 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
I wonder where those stats come from as well. As a parent of an 18-year old, I'm around tons of that age group. I for one find them much more active and definitely more intelligent than my generation.

The classes they take are mind-blowing. Subjects my husband and I didn't take till college. Out of 500 kids in her graduation class there are 120 Summa *** Laude, 87 Magna *** Laude, and 112 *** Laudes. That's well over half the class graduating with honors. In my class it was like 15% graduated with honors.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
What the crap is going on in this country? Forget the draft, we'd turn most of the snowflakes away anyway.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-...?mod=home-page
This certainly isn't true. I don't have time to fact check Jamie Dimon. But to say young people can't read or write at the low bar set by the military? Preposterous.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's a person's OPINION, not a fact. Now, there is a basis behind the opinion but it distorts the actual reality.

As our military's technological advances accelerate, many youth fresh out of high school can't qualify high enough to obtain the types of jobs they seek in the military. It's not that they can't join, they can't join for the specific jobs they seek based on their ASVAB. Does that mean we are producing a society of dumb dolts? No, as most score high enough to enter. What we are lacking is high school graduates that can score in the range that opens all the doors versus just some.

As for health, sometimes it's not the youth but the parents that for whatever reason, created a "health" excuse to explain away their kid's foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues