Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,889,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Bravo Sierra

More bravo sierra. No "purge" of senior officers happened under Obama.

There were nearly 1000 flag officers when Obama took office. He certainly put no dent in that, and no more had left when he left than were normal attrition.

Oh, wait, are you now claiming that Trump did the purging?

But that's still more bravo sierra. It didn't happen.

No, that's more bravo sierra. Biden hasn't even gotten rid of all of Trump's political appointees in the Pentagon yet.
As. The policy of the past thirty years Not whats good for the country but what is good for the party...Teump thought everyone wanted Whats good for the Country.......trump a newbie to Washington politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
As. The policy of the past thirty years Not whats good for the country but what is good for the party...Teump thought everyone wanted Whats good for the Country.......trump a newbie to Washington politics.
Um, could you re-phrase that?

--

Old 04-07-2021, 11:54 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Nonsense. People in and out of uniform, in a bureaucracy, "working against" a president is totally different that the military leadership controverting the Constitution and seizing power. Bureaucracies work against presidential administrations all the time. That's what bureaucracies do. They try to maintain the status quo. If a president tries to come in and shake things up, the bureaucracy will resist that.

--
This is an important point. The Pentagon bureaucracy does, indeed, tend to follow the Iron Law of Bureaucracy, as does any bureaucracy. In that way, it's classically conservative--it passively resists radical changes by any president.

OTOH, it is still responsive to good leadership. For instance, the bureaucracy loved Reagan and protected him (sometimes from himself), more because of his leadership style than his politics.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I don't know what that was intended to mean.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:58 PM

6,154 posts, read 3,372,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I've worked in military environments since I attended Naval OCS in NOV 1988. I work in a military installation now. The mid-level military officers I work with now (0-5s and 0-6s) are absolutely almost uniformly conservative.

Vindman was an O-5. He was a gnat. He was a flyspeck. He reported what he heard in a phone call. Sorry. I don't equate that with trying to "take down" the president.

Nonsense. People in and out of uniform, in a bureaucracy, "working against" a president is totally different that the military leadership controverting the Constitution and seizing power. Bureaucracies work against presidential administrations all the time. That's what bureaucracies do. They try to maintain the status quo. If a president tries to come in and shake things up, the bureaucracy will resist that.

--
I’m not talking about mid level guys. Of course the mid level guys are mostly conservative. I see that in the enlisted ranks too where most are conservative. I’m talking about the civilian workforce in the Pentagon, and I’m talking about the senior appointments. Those are mostly all Democrats. But I do see your point of a bureaucracy working against a president such as Trump. But I still think there was much more to it than just that. I think you had people actively working to oust him. That’s a fine line they are trying to walk. On the one hand, supposedly following and upholding the constitution, but on the other hand actively undermining and trying to oust a sitting president? How can you have it both ways?

I’m not trying to turn this into a political argument because I don’t think Trump was all that great of a president to be honest.

I just don’t get how you guys can’t see the difference over the last few years? Now that DC has “their guy” in charge, isn’t it odd how everyone in the Pentagon is acting normal all of a sudden? No leaks, nobody trying to take down Biden. All the nonsense is gonna start up again once “their guy” is no longer in charge.

I think that’s the proof right there.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
....... I’m talking about the civilian workforce in the Pentagon, and I’m talking about the senior appointments..........

Well then you are not talking the subject of the thread which is about being in the military and following those orders.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:31 AM

6,154 posts, read 3,372,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well then you are not talking the subject of the thread which is about being in the military and following those orders.
The top civilians in the Pentagon are the ones that push through the top military appointments. If your belief system matches theirs, you continue to get stars. If they don’t, you find your career stalled and you take your retirement pay. This is a new way of doing business as this didn’t go on even a few years ago.

So if all of a sudden you have a President who has the opposing viewpoint of everyone in an agency, you’ve got problems. In the past, it didn’t matter. Military members at the top level were for the most part apolitical and they kept their opinions to themselves.

But we seen it over and over again under Trump. Senior military members who normally never weighed in on the political infighting were drafting numerous letters condemning the President.

I just find it funny and hypocritical that there were military officers who were supposedly upholding the constitution and the oath they took, while at the same time badmouthing the commander in chief and committing acts of sedition. You can’t have it both ways.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:24 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,355,685 times
Quote:
But we seen it over and over again under Trump. Senior military members who normally never weighed in on the political infighting were drafting numerous letters condemning the President.

I just find it funny and hypocritical that there were military officers who were supposedly upholding the constitution and the oath they took, while at the same time badmouthing the commander in chief and committing acts of sedition. You can’t have it both ways.
They drafted letters actually condemning the President, himself? Do you think you could link a couple of these numerous letters? Because I don’t believe THAT ever happened. Military officers take their apolitical stance seriously.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
If they don’t, you find your career stalled and you take your retirement pay.
This statement reveals someone who does not have the slightest clue how a career in the military works.

This statement reveals you don't work with the military. It reveals you don't work around the military. It reveals you don't even know anyone who has been retired from the military.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,002,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
^^^^^^This. We were talking about uniformed personnel following orders and upholding the Constitution and you're veering off into "civilian workforce" in the Pentagon.

Quote:
I’m not talking about mid level guys. Of course the mid level guys are mostly conservative. I see that in the enlisted ranks too where most are conservative. I’m talking about the civilian workforce in the Pentagon....
Again, that's not what the thread was about. And, yes, in my experience, military leaders are conservative. And while I don't have personal information regarding the political leanings of SENIOR military leadership, I don't see why there should be a big difference between mid level and senior military personnel.

Quote:
...and I’m talking about the senior appointments. Those are mostly all Democrats. But I do see your point of a bureaucracy working against a president such as Trump. But I still think there was much more to it than just that. I think you had people actively working to oust him. That’s a fine line they are trying to walk. On the one hand, supposedly following and upholding the constitution, but on the other hand actively undermining and trying to oust a sitting president? How can you have it both ways?
Again, I think you're conflating civilian and military. Are you talking about Senior, AD military personnel "trying to oust a sitting president"? If so, please cite your source. Who are you talking about? Vindman doesn't cut it. He was a whistle blower. He was a nobody who listened in on a phone call. If you have the name of a SENIOR military leader who was "trying to oust the president," please name him.

Quote:
I just don’t get how you guys can’t see the difference over the last few years? Now that DC has “their guy” in charge, isn’t it odd how everyone in the Pentagon is acting normal all of a sudden? No leaks, nobody trying to take down Biden. All the nonsense is gonna start up again once “their guy” is no longer in charge.

I think that’s the proof right there.
What proof? You've cited no proof. What difference? There are ALWAYS leaks in bureaucracies. ALWAYS. Take down Biden? If Biden did something as IDIOTIC as Trump's Ukraine phone call, there's no doubt in my mind we'd have whistle blowers ready to expose it. You're seeing a vast, left-wing, deep state conspiracy in the Pentagon where none exists.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues