Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:45 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,480,732 times

Advertisements

What's unique about a drone (as opposed to a manned Jet) that makes an Aircraft Carrier or any other boat more obsolete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 03:52 PM

5,200 posts, read 3,120,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What's unique about a drone (as opposed to a manned Jet) that makes an Aircraft Carrier or any other boat more obsolete?
The drone/missile is expendable?

Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM

17,650 posts, read 17,769,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I was talking to a lawyer a few years ago who believes more money needs to be spent on human services and less on military. He mentioned drones make big navy ships like aircraft carriers easy pickin's, and thus obsolete or close to obsolete. Is that true?
Umm, no. There’s more involved than he realizes. Support ships can easily take out missiles and drones. Even if they can get past ALL the other ships it would then have to make it past CWIS systems. Carriers main job is jets but they offer many other jobs. Hospital, medical overflow, search and rescue, and producing potable drinking water in times of need.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:47 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
This article is a little older but summarizes a lot of the arguments saying the aircraft carrier is obsolete:

https://www.theamericanconservative....rrier-is-dead/

--
For many years, I have thought of carriers as obsolete.

But, I am just a career submariner, so what do I know?

Old 03-21-2020, 02:03 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,429,985 times
The US gov will never send a carrier against a modern military, they know it will be toast.

Luckily, there are very few countries with a modern military, and the chances of an actual conflict with them is near zero.

The Ford class in my opinion was a waste of money. Seems that money should have went to infectious diseases, lol.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Lower cost, thus more of them, longer range, can stay on station for a very long time, expendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Umm, no. There’s more involved than he realizes. Support ships can easily take out missiles and drones. Even if they can get past ALL the other ships it would then have to make it past CWIS systems. Carriers main job is jets but they offer many other jobs. Hospital, medical overflow, search and rescue, and producing potable drinking water in times of need.
No, they cannot easily take out such things, this is why they are investing more and more in extending the range of aircraft because they need the carrier to sit further out from the conflict zone. A BG cannot take down a salvo of 1000 missiles fired at it, not even close. Even on cruiser getting reduced in operations from an attack will severely degrade a BG ability to protect a carrier. An attack would come in a few waves, goal to significantly knock out a valuable US military asset, a carrier.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
... The Ford class in my opinion was a waste of money. Seems that money should have went to infectious diseases, lol.
IMHO, I have nothing against more carriers. My concern is that I do not agree with having 'littoral class' ships.

The Freedom LCS-1, Fort Worth LCS-3, Milwaukee LCS-5, Detroit LCS-7, Little Rock LCS-9, Sioux City LCS-11, Wichita LCS-13, Billings LCS-15, Indianapolis LCS-17, St. Louis LCS-19, Minneapolis-Saint Paul LCS-21, Cooperstown LCS-23, Marinette LCS-25, Nantucket LCS-27, Beloit LCS-29, Cleveland LCS-31.

Or the Independence LCS-2 class, Coronado LCS-4, Jackson LCS-6, Montgomery LCS-8, Gabrielle Giffords LCS-10, Omaha LCS-12, Manchester LCS-14, Tulsa LCS-16, Charleston LCS-18, Cincinnati LCS-20, Kansas City LCS-22, Oakland LCS-24, Mobile LCS-26, Savannah LCS-28, Canberra LCS-30, Santa Barbara LCS-32, Augusta LCS-34, Kingsville LCS-36, Pierre LCS-38

I do not forsee any purpose in having either of these 'littoral' classes of vessels.

Giving up the ability to function in Blue water is a mistake IMHO.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,332,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
...Carriers main job is jets but they offer many other jobs. Hospital, medical overflow, search and rescue, and producing potable drinking water in times of need.
Producing potable water is interesting. In the past I heard it is expensive to do so. I don't know about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For many years, I have thought of carriers as obsolete.

But, I am just a career submariner, so what do I know?

A submariner I talked to a long time ago was enthusiastic about his time in.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:12 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,332,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
...I do not forsee any purpose in having either of these 'littoral' classes of vessels.

Giving up the ability to function in Blue water is a mistake IMHO.

I never heard of these ships until now. They're bigger than I would have guessed. Perhaps part of their function is/are things people don't know about. I noticed something about assymetrical warefare.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
A submariner I talked to a long time ago was enthusiastic about his time in.
I would assume he is a man who got out after serving one contract enlistment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues