Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillIamNot View Post
And perhaps you are improperly "wondering" if the other poster "improperly" wondered, you might be reading to much into what they're reading. But that would be a presumption blue falcon thing to do. Whether unhappy is used once, or a thousands times doesn't change the feel one can get from the post. They might have used that particular word to express themselves. You know, to make others possibly understand. To communicate.

And I don't honestly see a problem with the question either. At first blush, I had to wonder as well why the OP would you go so far as to post such a question on a forum with strangers about someone she loves. Most people don't generally air family business without reasons, good or bad.
If you know so much, why don't you answer https://www.city-data.com/forum/56052321-post1.html which is what the original poster is asking, instead of going off-topic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
He once told me he requested his DD214 so we can use a military discount when we bought a house but claimed he never received them. Then said since he had used it before to buy a house 20 years ago, he couldn’t use it again.

The form in link posted would provide info if he went to Saudi Arabia?
Don't know if this has been addressed previously but; this statement screams as inaccurate (lie/wrong).
I have used my VA Certificate Of Eligibility (COE) a couple of times. Ask to see his DD Form 214.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...ertificate.asp
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

Carry on.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times
Believing one can only use VA benefits once or one house at a time is a fairly common misperception. Until recently, I thought so myself.

So that doesn't tell the OP much one way or another.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Believing one can only use VA benefits once or one house at a time is a fairly common misperception. Until recently, I thought so myself.

That or he didn't want to buy a house with HER.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If I were you, I'd trust the sister and cousin. He perhaps went AWOL and he perhaps never went to Riyadh.

All I know is that, If you are in a Deserter/Unauthorized Absence/AWOL status and you work with an attorney to voluntarily turn yourself in before being arrested, the consequences and likelihood of facing long confinement, or any confinement at all, are greatly reduced.

So "his dad got him off the hook" perhaps means his dad helped him finding a lawyer. If he was forced to leave, given permission to leave, or physically prevented from returning, he may have a defense. Plus, Summary courts-martial are not considered to be a conviction and, therefore, would almost never be considered a felony.

I can only speculate, my opinion is that during the time that he claimed "he went to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to restore tanks", he perhaps worked with a lawyer. He did not tell you this because he was embarrassed.

I started dating my fiance when he was still active duty; I know all his friends in the military. I saw his DD214. I just finished organizing all his photos in the military several months ago, he perhaps have thousands of photos. My older brother also served in the 90s, and he, too have perhaps hundreds of photos to show. I know my brother's old CO.

I am at a point where I don't need to verify anybody's "stories", especially if they are strangers. If they say they are Captain America, well, then so be it. I only confronted a person ONCE, and turned out, I was right. He claimed he was a Vietnam vet and wanted a veteran's discount from my mom's store in a shopping mall. I politely asked for a military ID, he didn't have. We have had a conversation and all of sudden, out of nowhere, he claimed that I disrespected ALL vets. I called the security guard, and he was kicked out. No ID, no service. It is that simple. " ID just means some kind of proof, by the way" or simply being polite will be good enough for me" add this part to clarifying confusions/concerns

I think your husband did serve, but he got himself in some troubles and he was embarrassed to tell you.

"he lead cadence marches" perhaps is just something to impress you. True or not, nobody will ever know.
People that serve and do not retire - do not get IDs. If you use the VA clinics, you would get a VA id, but what if he lost it.

As for pictures - i barely have a handful of pics from my years served. I just wasnt' a picture taking type of person.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When one joins the National Guard, do they not have to serve some active service at the beginning?
yes their combined bct and ait added together usually allows them to get a dd214 from active duty back to reserve status. the exception is if those two schools were completed in different years (if soldier signed in at 18 still in HS so completed bct one summer then after school finished the following summer) no dd 214 for them just a transfer from active to reserve duty.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post

I believe that was the way it was “back in the day” (1970s or so). Back then, anyone could assume an existing VA mortgage with no credit check and minimal closing costs. Very popular with self employed and/or people with poor credit. I think the original vet could not get another VA mortgage while the first one was outstanding, even though the vet no longer owned the house.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
People that serve and do not retire - do not get IDs. If you use the VA clinics, you would get a VA id, but what if he lost it.
Actually, ANY Veteran can get an ID now.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Actually, ANY Veteran can get an ID now.
Yes!

From the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Quote:
How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

A Veteran ID Card (VIC) is a form of photo ID you can use to get discounts offered to Veterans at many restaurants, hotels, stores, and other businesses. Find out if you’re eligible for a Veteran ID Card—and how to apply.
Am I eligible for a Veteran ID Card?

You may be eligible if you meet both of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true. You:
* Served on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard (including the Coast Guard), and
* Received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable conditions)

If you received an other than honorable, bad conduct, or dishonorable character of discharge, you’re not eligible for a Veteran ID Card. If you have an uncharacterized or unknown discharge status, we’ll have to verify your eligibility before we approve your application.

You’ll need to provide a copy of your discharge papers when you apply for a VIC to prove your character of discharge.

Please note: Retail vendors volunteer to take part in this discount program. If a business decides to provide discounts to Veterans, it doesn’t mean that we’re recommending or favoring that business.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:38 PM

538 posts, read 386,015 times
He told me recently he was going to be sent for sniper training but there wasn’t a spot so he had a difference training (can’t remember). Also he was a 4 ranking and could have gone to a 5. I can’t remember exactly what was said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues