Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 AM

862 posts, read 1,066,628 times

Advertisements

We live in on the OR coast now, but seriously looking at a permanent retirement move to Oak Harbor, WA, home of WI NAS. I've been retired for awhile, wife will probably continue substitute teaching and tutoring. I'm Vietnam era Navy vet.
There have been some postings elsewhere about the jet noise. We've visited during those times. We thought it was kinda cool. Of course, that's not the same as living there, so I can understand it being an issue for some. We're more concerned about medical care, but other than that, we find it very desirable and beautiful. Kinda isolated from the crazy progressiveness of Seattle.
But noise aside, anyone have any experience about living there?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island for 8 years and loved it there. Would not live there now due to the state politics but the area was very nice and lots to do in that part of the country.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Thanks, Poncho.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island for 8 years and loved it there. Would not live there now due to the state politics but the area was very nice and lots to do in that part of the country.
Yeah, definitely a deep blue state, which I don't like. But I've been thinking the Oak Harbor area is more moderate, given the military element. Yes, Island county went to Hilary, but not by much. And I presume a lot of the OH military votes absentee in their home states, instead. So that wouldn't be reflected in the local voting results?
Anyway, we were pretty impressed with the people we met there. Much more to check out, though.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 962 times
Default Oak Harbor, WA

Regarding the jet noise on Whidbey Island - we have lived in Oak Harbor for 15 years and it doesn't really bother us (South end of town). However, where I work near Ault Field Rd, the noise is more noticeable, It can also be louder near Coupeville, which is where OLF is located (outlying field - training area for pilots).

The town has really grown in the past couple of years and Whidbey Island in general, is a very popular tourist destination. Deception Pass Bridge and state park is 11 miles North of us (1 of 2 ways off the island) and this year in particular has seen a lot more traffic. We've actually grown very tired of it and are contemplating leaving. It's really too bad as this is definitely the most beautiful place we've ever lived and the climate is perfect - mild winters and very pleasant summers.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 PM

I sent you a PM.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:01 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,413,188 times
The WA cost of living caused us to look elsewhere. We lived in AZ for some years, and there were many retirees from all along the Pacific coast who had moved because of the cost of living. Military folks had access to Luke AFB out west of Phoenix. There is a MCAS at Yuma and an Army proving ground, north of Yuma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues