Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,849 times

Advertisements

I was born on an air force base in England in 1989. I have a birth certificate for the US and I have one for England. ( Well I have four birth certificates but those are the main two). I know that I am an american citizen but I'm having a hard time finding British law on whether or not I am technically a dual citizen. I know the dual citizenship laws vary from country to country. I would love some help. Even if someone can point me in the right direction for where to look that would be fantastic. I feel like I am running in circles trying to figure this out.
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
We were talking about this in my unit the other day. Apparently there are countries that do not grant citizenship to the children of SMs who were born overseas. For example, my friend's daughter was born in Germany but she does not have dual citizenship because of German laws.

That said, I can think of two avenues (besides internet searches). The first avenue would be to contact Congressional representative. They either will have, or will find, a professional Congressional staff member that deals with military affairs. The second avenue would be to contact the UK embassy. I think those routes give you the best chance to have a solid answer.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-marker View Post
I was born on an air force base in England in 1989. I have a birth certificate for the US and I have one for England. ( Well I have four birth certificates but those are the main two). I know that I am an american citizen but I'm having a hard time finding British law on whether or not I am technically a dual citizen. I know the dual citizenship laws vary from country to country. I would love some help. Even if someone can point me in the right direction for where to look that would be fantastic. I feel like I am running in circles trying to figure this out.
Thanks for any help!
UK Border Agency | If you were born in the UK or a qualifying territory

From their equivalent of INS, it does not look like you automatically qualify for citizenship if your parents were American citizens simply serving overseas in 1989. I don't believe that meets the definition of "legally settled."

"
If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:
  • a British citizen; or
  • legally settled in the UK"
[...]

"If you were born in the UK to parents who are not British citizens and are not legally settled here

Even if you were born in the United Kingdom, you will not be a British citizen if neither of your parents was a British citizen or legally settled here at the time of your birth. This means you are not a British citizen if, at the time of your birth, your parents were in the country temporarily, had stayed on without permission, or had entered the country illegally and had not been given permission to stay here indefinitely."

[...]

"Definitions:

Legally settled
Living in the United Kingdom with permission to stay here permanently (this includes indefinite leave to remain).

Settled You are normally resident in the United Kingdom with no immigration restriction on the length of your stay. To be free of immigration restriction you must have the right of abode or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom"

Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
We were talking about this in my unit the other day. Apparently there are countries that do not grant citizenship to the children of SMs who were born overseas. For example, my friend's daughter was born in Germany but she does not have dual citizenship because of German laws.

That said, I can think of two avenues (besides internet searches). The first avenue would be to contact Congressional representative. They either will have, or will find, a professional Congressional staff member that deals with military affairs. The second avenue would be to contact the UK embassy. I think those routes give you the best chance to have a solid answer.
Really? When I was in Frankfurt in the mid-eighties there were several friends who had dual citizenship for their children. People thought I should have applied for my Son (97th Gen Hospital), but it could have meant that he would have had to serve if they called him in case of war.

Miss-Marker~
I do agree with ArtyGuy that the UK embassy would probably be the best bet. I wish you good luck and hope that you get the results that you are seeking.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Really? When I was in Frankfurt in the mid-eighties there were several friends who had dual citizenship for their children. People thought I should have applied for my Son (97th Gen Hospital), but it could have meant that he would have had to serve if they called him in case of war.

Miss-Marker~
I do agree with ArtyGuy that the UK embassy would probably be the best bet. I wish you good luck and hope that you get the results that you are seeking.
Germany bases citizenship on "jus sanguinis"
Being stationed in the UK does not satisfy "settled" in the sense of indefinite leave to remain.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
British nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues