Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM

30 posts, read 167,188 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. I'm a coffee addict and I'm a complete ****** in the mornings until I take a couple sips of liquid ambrosia. Do they serve coffee at basic (I understand you only get 5 mins to eat breakfast, but I can cool it down it something cold and shoot it down the hatch) or can you possibly smuggle in some instant coffee packs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
no caffeine products allowed until way into training. sorry

or at least at Ft Benning where I was last week. a contractor walked by with a coke and the whole training facility was put on notice

Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM

so they don't serve it at breakfast either, then?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
doubt it. no tobacco either

If they served coffee at breakfast i doubt the commander would have made the issue about a contractor having a cup of coffee in front of the troops. what was said is they are not allowed to have caffeine products and it is not fair to drink caffeine in front of them, which is true

kind of a detox i guess.

back in my day they didn't allow chewing gum either

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,579 times
In my day they had smoking breaks in boot camp

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Default 1976 basic training

No coffee for us in BCT 1976. We did get smoke breaks though.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No coffee for us in BCT 1976. We did get smoke breaks though.
Smoke breaks? In 95 the only thing we could have was menthol halls because it was medicine. The entire company was literally addicted to them.

No coffee (except what was in our MREs), no tea, no chocolate milk.

Except one time they did let us have chocolate milk. It was rancid.

They also gave us stress cards and the told us that anyone that used them would regret it for the rest of their time there.

Ahh... The good old days at Fort Lost-In-The-Woods!

To answer the OP. Eh, you won't notice. I was a two pack a day smoker. On the bus rude the driver stopped outside the gate long enough to for me and a few others to kill half a pack.

First 3 days in reception was hell. After that my body was in such shock all it wanted was food, water and sleep. I completely forgot about cigarettes.

Until about 30 seconds after my post-graduation pass started...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
I'm just curious.

I'm a coffee addict

coffee at basic.

smuggle in
You going into basic?

If they say you can't have coffee, that means "you can't have coffee"

Smuggle it in? If they say you can't have coffee, what part of "you can't have coffee" do you not understand?

Quote:
In the Air Force, for breakfast there will be eggs to order, hash browns, sausage/bacon, pancakes/french toast, juice, milk, cereals, coffee (if you T.I. says you can have coffee), and fruits.
Quote:
December 07, 2010 7:00 am, Associated Press
FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. - At Army training sites across the nation, the mess hall is beginning to look different. Drill sergeants stand watch over the chow line, calling out soldiers who don't put enough fruit on their plates. Drill sergeants didn't hesitate to scold soldiers who failed to take enough fruit or who opted for two cups of coffee but didn't include a glass of water to stay hydrated. Army alters meals at basic training to improve recruits' health

Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You going into basic?

If they say you can't have coffee, that means "you can't have coffee"

Smuggle it in? If they say you can't have coffee, what part of "you can't have coffee" do you not understand?
Whoa, "fun question" was included in the title of this thread. I wasn't serious about that part. No need to get aggressive.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
Whoa, "fun question" was included in the title of this thread. I wasn't serious about that part. No need to get aggressive.
You didn't like my U.S. Army humor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues