Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 167,325 times

Advertisements

Can you enlist in the National Guard (in whatever MOS) and then do a direct commission in a few years to the Reserve side as a Nurse Officer? Or do you have to wait until your initial contract is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,449 times
If I understand your question, yes. From my own personal experience--When I was enlisted in the NG, but then received my commission to go on active duty, I was discharged from the Guard the day prior to pinning on my 2LT bars. It's common. It happens every summer when ROTC cadets get commissioned. Many of them serve in the NG and USAR.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
You can go both ways. I was Active duty. I got out. I then joined the reserves. I found I didnt like sitting around reading magazines on my weekend duty. I switched to the National Guard. I have been with them ever since.

Just a note here. I do not say all reserve units are like that. It was the one unit I was in. I found other oportunities and took them. I now have been with the NG for 25 years and have worked full time for them that long as well.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your responses. I just wanted to see if it was possible. I read some other forums too and apparently it's rare but some 09s candidates have made it happen. Some got a direct commission over in the reserves before OCS and I know one who got her direct commission as a chaplain during OCS so she got to leave OCS. I'm not trying to really get out of OCS per se, but since NG nurse officers are the only ones in AMEDD who go through OCS, it makes me think that OCS is not really needed for nurses. I would rather get to work as an Army nurse than go through training I don't really need.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
I would rather get to work as an Army nurse than go through training I don't really need.
The Army is a big green machine. It trains them to do a lot of things which might not make sense. There are many times they (The U.S. Army) doesn't really care what you want or what you think. The Army likes to train...

If you make it in the Army, please remember me. OK?

Rich

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
If you make it in the Army, please remember me. OK?

Rich
Hello again, Rich! What should I be remembering?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
Hello again, Rich! What should I be remembering?
Never mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues